Wesley Clark a Republican?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Elder Statesman, Sep 22, 2003.

1. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    i doubt it. He's just taking shots at Karl Rove and using the guise of "i woulda been a republican" as justification.

Besides, I can't remember the last time we had a pro choice Republican president.

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican?

[​IMG]

At least, until he became Reagan's running mate.

3. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Which brings me to my point, Hilary Clinton will be Was Clark's running mate. You heard it here first.

4. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Re: Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican?

Alright. Point taken. Still, i highly doubt Clark would have been a republican.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican?

Hillary was a Republican in college.

People change their minds about things. It happens. There are a number of people in Congress right now that used to be members of parties of which they are no longer members.

Clark (from what I know of him) seems to be a pretty middle of the road kind of guy, so it's hardly inconceivable that he was once or considered becoming a Republican.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that you think you're saying it first speaks to how astute an observer of the world at large you are.

Please astound us with further prognostications. What point of the compass will the sun rise on tomorrow?

7. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

If he was a republican - would any republicans out there consider voting for him if he actually challenged Bush?

Let's pretend the following situation...

A respectable(?) republican like Clark(R) or perhaps McCain stands up, says "George/Dick - thanks for the past 4 years, but time to step aside. You've tarnished the image of your presidency with impropriety by favoring your former business contacts, you have alienated some of our best allies against terrorism, we still haven't found OBL or Saddam, and we are still losing jobs. Retire after your 4 years, and let a competant, ethical republican be president"

Would any republicans listen to what he is saying, or is Bush still the better man?

8. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    What's so strange about Clark voting for Nixon and Reagan? Last I checked, the Dems weren't treating Viet vets with open arms and kisses back in '72, and plenty of Dems voted for Reagan.

The important thing is what Clark says about the issues -- pro-choice, against death penalty (it seems), against tax cuts for the rich, for a multilateral foreign policy -- and that he says he has voted Dem the last three prez elections.

Plus, as NATO commander, he had to watch from afar as the Republicans in Congress led by Tom DeLay voted against supporting the operation and the troops.

That must have really sat well with the general who was running the war -- not to mention his troops.

9. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

Such a strangely misleading title to a thread and such a bizarre cheap shot at a recently announced Democratic candidate from a self-proclaimed "independent."

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

Something tells me he's a Bill O'Reilly Independent - you know, the kind that is registered as a Republican.

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    You will continue to be a dick tomorrow?

Don't forget Ronnie Regan, from Democrat to Republican to Vegetable. Maybe not in that order.

12. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

DJ, i can tell you right now that if John McCain were to challenge Bush in 2004, he would definately get my vote.I supported McCain in 2000, and I hope he runs in '08 with or against Colin Powell. I truly think that would a good thing.

13. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Glad to hear it - sometimes I wonder how many people here love/hate xxxxxx because that person is in the wrong party - not because of their message or actions

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The correct answer is "East".

Imagine that - the republicans canonizing a labotamized weathervane. Will wonders never cease.

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Republican? As in moi?

17. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

Which part is a cheap shot? The guy voted for Reagan and was considering becoming a Republican a few months before announcing that he is a Democrat candidate for President. I know some of you liberals hate Bush so much that you'll say or do anything to see him defeated but that is no reason to hide from the truth.

18. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Don't you think it's possible that either a) Clark was speaking figuratively or b) that Clark didn't necessarily call Rove at the White House and that c) this is another naked attempt by the Weekly Standard to attempt to brand a strong Democratic candidate as a liar?

19. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Re: Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

Titling the thread "Clark a Republican" for one, since it's completely misleading.

Adding facts that are not in your article, for two, since it shows you're just trolling for any dirt you can find.

Going so far out of your way to find some barely-stickable dirt on a new Democratic candidate, for three. Why the desperation?

Referring to yourself as an independent, for four.

Pssst. . . I heard Gen. Clark used to drive by Whitewater sometimes on his visits home. Perhaps you should investigate. Maybe get the watermelons out again.

20. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

You sound like a paid mouth piece for the Democratic party. You should try to think using your own mind for once. I am allowed to point out hypocricy when I see it. Granted I point it out more for Democrats then Republicans. However, I have criticized both sides. Just do a search. You on the other hand are always partisan and always criticize one side.

I've never said I was an independent, I just said I wasn't a conservative. I guess in your narrow mind you have to be one of three labels. So let me ask you a question, what is Wesley Clark a liberal, conservative or independent?

21. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or d)none of the above.

Sure, its entirely possible he would have considered going elephant, but looking at his views (from the other thread) I just don't see how that is all that likely.

22. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

No it wasn't, it was called "sexing up" the thread title. :D

Besides, how could it be misleading when you mislead by not adding the question mark.

I mean, it was a question, not a statement of fact.

"Wesley Clark a Republican?"

You make the call.
    [cue classic NFL music]

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You could also look at his self-admitted voting record over the last several presidential elections and note that that alone could qualify him as a Republican.

But of course, as I've mentioned before, sometimes people change.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wesley Clark a Republican Sure is A Funny Choice of Thread Title

So it was you who made the claim that General Clark could issue a policy paper in 45 minutes or less.