News: We're Muppets, and we have a problem: Summer Transfer rumors

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    NOT IF WE GET FREE TRANSFERS

GAH

Sofabloke repped this.
  2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well the signs aren't great and haven't been for a while now.

hard to hope for much when you ask for £100m Sancho and get a £20m guy who can't even enter the country and a £10m punt instead. that's without consideration that COVID is still around too

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep. I'm a huge Martial fan but I've had enough with mentally weak players. Bruno has set the stage for the mentality we need to really turn around the culture at our club. Chest out and ********ing win. If that's not you, get out. And I don't think that's Martial.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Tony still has a role to play at the club, but I think he's probably going to need a break. He's not mentally at it and I think he's very very much a guy who needs to be at his best mentally to succeed. We've seen the type of hunger and ability we need from him on a few occassions but rarely at the same time.

I think he's still useful as a rotation option for LW or ST. I'd be happy to move him on when the time is right, but I don't think that's now with 1 caveat. If we can get Sancho, then Martial can go.

I don't think we get Jadon unless Dortmund are willing to sell for 70 or 80.

I think a proper CM (unless we really believe in Garner) is on the cards as is a starting CB.

I don't think we will adequately strengthen. We'll either get 1 high profile need or 2 or 3 squad level pick ups like we did by wasting $$ on Donny when we should have bought a 6 or a starting RW.

5. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Because of this I don’t think we can discount the possibility that everything that’s happened the last year has effected him more than others, or that it’s had more impact on his form.

benni... and johno repped this.
  6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is true. Got to be a mentally and physically exhausting 18 months for the players.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Would be a good option if we were to start over in terms of rebuilding our CB corps. But as it stands, this is still odd to me: he's got some intriguing/interesting qualities, but as a compliment to Mag? I don't see it. Not to mention that with actual competition for his services, our chances of getting him are sure to go down drastically.
    Mourinho wanted him when he was at the club: that's when we should have moved for him honestly...

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I saw him with Fiorentina in that 6-0 loss to Napoli. Despite the emphatic loss, he wasn't particularly poor, but nearly every time Napoli scored he was out of his position. He's not the kind of defender who sits back and Maguire would need someone who can provide him with defensive cover, allowing him to step out the way Milenkovic does. He's not suitable to partner with Maguire. If United want to sign him and cut their losses with Maguire, that's a different story.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hard to judge - as it seems in this game and recently he is often the furthest forward at RCB in a back 3 with the other two deeper (presumably aiming to use to an extent the fact he can also play RB).

Whereas we are likely to remain a flat CB pair.

At least with Fiorentina he is getting plenty of practice at having to defend ;)

Deadtigers and SF19 repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Focused more on his other big money... erm honeypot perhaps?

benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laurie Whitwell claiming that the Milenkovic rumors are currently nothing more than 'agent noise' that is not worth getting too excited over...

Also confirming United's interest in Kounde. They know all about him and he's a player with characteristics they would love to line up next to Maguire.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Key criteria for what will likely be a small number of signings - no crocs.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Wow 40 injuries with 1/3 of season remaining.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Badiashile is suggesting he's the one who snubbed us last summer, claiming that going on a bit longer with the club that trained him, was the right call. And has no regrets at all about not joining United.

He's still just 19, he's playing regularly as it is in Monaco, and having a pretty big season to boot by the looks of it (along with his CB partner Disasi, was a big part of Monaco blanking PSG this past weekend in a 2-0 win).
    Still a great option for us and one who should be reasonably priced as well. Will no longer be the paltry 22-25mil he would have cost last summer but still would be excellent value considering his talent and ceiling.
    Fofana (at just 20) has been a success with Leicester. Definitely worth a shout to explore whether Badiashile would be agreeable to a move this time around.

16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some rumours we are talking to Inter about Marcelo Brozovic maybe with a swap + cash with Telles.

Just rumours, but given his contract expires summer 2022 then he could be in play and at least we are being linked with a CM and one who could maybe be a DLP for us and offer something we don't really have.

A little older than the profile of where we should be looking ideally. Seems to be relatively injury free judging by games played and if played as a DLP rather than box-to-box then should be able to go longer in age as others have done (Carrick, Pirlo etc.).

benni... repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's the right type of player, but as you say, the wrong age entirely.

benni... repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least, we don't have to worry about the club going after him this summer anymore...

19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Plus he’s turning 35 in a few weeks...

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't really buy this but curious as to how much of their asking price Real would be ready to shave off here, if he were to leave.
    Particularly when we consider he'd be coming into the last year of his contract next season...

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Time to creative...

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think there's every chance we don't spend heavily but the question was asked regarding overall market spend and then led in to specifics. I think Ole was basically saying expect the entire market to be depressed and fewer moves in general.

I think it is possibly true of United's plans, true of the market and possibly also a little bit of softening teams up for negotiation.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seems like Ole is setting the stage for another rough summer. Its clear the upper brass doesnt want to spend and the pandemic gives them a built-in excuse.

I expect us to see a lot more Donnie and Diallo level purchases in the coming years. Guys that are either relatively cheap squaddies/possible starters or semi-expensive young talent that could prove to be top level players. I dont expect many top level signings. The idea that we will get Sancho or Haaland this summer is a pipe dream. The only chance we have would be if Sancho made a fuss and Dortmund need to sell, then maybe...but knowing Ed we would use that as an excuse to lowball even more and end up screwing ourselves.

Whatever the case may be, we cannot go another year without an actual RW threat. Its such a limiting factor to our team and has been the case since Nani's last good season which is insane to think about.