News: We're Muppets, and we have a problem: Summer Transfer rumors

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we probably need two CBs this summer due to fitness and inadequacy issues.

not a believer in the consolation prize Konaté theory either. don't see why Leipzig would give up both CBs at once.

we should try everything though. at least try

2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    This is why stats in the hands of most people are pure bollocks. And it’s why I said FBref’s new tool is really cool but you’ve got to be careful how you use it.

Kounde is in the 93rd percentile for aerials won. He’s also in the 17th percentile for aerials lost.

226B7A95-BE01-4920-84BF-73252BD6FA30.jpeg

And that’s for the last 365 days.

Again, here’s 19/20 (La Liga players only)

C0195509-D12F-49B6-B19A-2BDFDED03657.jpeg

And here’s 20/21:-
    EBD77C97-DB7F-4C55-966E-7670F951E07E.jpeg

3. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    For reference, here’s Lindelof’s stats over the past 365 days against the top 5 leagues:-

1003D991-492C-4105-B066-F76448E85D26.jpeg

The guy who posted that tweet would say “LINDELOF IS IN THE 48TH PERCENTILE FOR AERIALS WON”.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 Ashur, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Ibrahima Konaté: RB Leipzig’s Latest French Talent – Breaking The Lines

A more conventional option at CB (6'4/205). This is a guy I've been high on for some time, going back 2yrs when he was dominant then and was hotter/way better than Upamecano as far as I'm concerned.
    The main concern about him (and it's a pretty big one) is whether he's gotten over the fitness issues that completely ruined last season for him. If he's not deemed too much of an fitness risk, 40mil Es (which is said to be his release clause at this point) is a bargain for a player like him with his kind of potential.
    Still missed a significant number of games this season though by the looks of it and the wise move probably when it comes to him is to wait and see how he fares next season in regards to injuries. But he's got suitors after him and it might be too late then...

Ibrahima Konaté - Injury history | Transfermarkt

5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed we can at least make SOME moves to strengthen the team.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seeing a lot of rumors that Chelsea plan on moving for Haaland this summer.

Hey Woody/Glazers...take out another loan, put the Bucs up for sale, get a 2nd mortgage on the beach houses...but don't you ********ing dare let him go to another PL team.

benni..., CybrSlydr and United 16 repped this.
  7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You don't think city won't go after him?

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure plenty of teams will go after him. Chelsea has just been the team talked about most that I've seen.

Honestly, we missed our chance with him. We had a mostly free run at him before he went to Dortmund and we blew it. If we move for him now, the fee and competition will be through the roof.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think he'd rather get a Messi to play the false 9 and win the CL before he leaves City.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    His release clause will be activated in 2022. Its €75mil.

Also did we really blow it when we didn't cave on some of the clauses Raiola wanted to put in?

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm purposely being dramatic to emphasize how much I rate him as a player.

******** Raiola. Id be fine if we never employ one of his clients ever again. But I think Haaland will be a top 5 striker in the world for a long time. Hes that good, already.

As for the release clause, with that being public knowledge, I bet a lot of clubs offer above that release clause this summer to try and beat the competition to the punch. Because 75mil for him is a steal. Dortmund know it and so does the rest of Europe. I guarantee some clubs offer above that amount this summer.

benni... and CybrSlydr repped this.
  12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sadly, Messi fits into that team perfectly. You put Messi into that City team and they are easily the best team in Europe along with Bayern.

benni... repped this.
  13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We obviously didn't have a clear run at him before he signed for BVB - because we met with him, had discussions, did everything we could, and then he signed for BVB.

I don't see Haaland moving before that clause kicks in. Not when Sancho obviously wants to go, BVB don't want to release their best two players in one summer with a new manager coming in. Of course Chelsea are a wildcard and Covid means nothing to them, but I think they'll spend on defence rather than attack.

Provided that's the case, and we continue to kick on as well as we have this season, I think we've got to be up there in the list of contenders for him.

If we manage Sancho + a CB this summer, that is a great window if Pogba stays. We won't have the budget for any more than that tbh, which is partly why I think our CB is likely to cost £40-50m at best, ruling Kounde out.

Then we can look for a new 6/8 and go for Haaland for summer 2022. Laird steps up to the first team, Mejbri & Shoretire step up, Mengi gets involved, Amad... We're in a great position for the future and we don't need to sign 5 or 6 players, nor do we need to sign everybody in one summer.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thats not true. All reputable sources said we were well in the lead, he had spoken with Ole (his former manager), and he wanted to come here. Where it fell apart is with Raiola asking for high agent fees. We could have financially strong-armed Dortmund but we stood our ground with Raiola, which I totally get.

I agree that I dont see them letting Sancho and Haaland go in the same summer. But if they can get a combined 150-180 mil for them, you dont think they would? They know Sancho wants to leave and if they get 80 mil from us, they will definitely let him go. When it comes to Haaland, they know theres a very public 75 mil release clause the following summer. So if they can get more than that this summer, you think they'll turn it down? I dont.

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah bro, Halaand is a ********ing stud. I don't blame you for feeling that way.

16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    The muppetry is strong af in February

johno and benni... repped this.
  17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think y’all need to be more concerned with the loss of revenue and the reality that we may only sign a youngster or talent this summer or no one at all. It’s not unrealistic to think the board sees us make top 4 and have that strategy.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nothing would surprise me anymore when it comes to the decision making of our owners. Football is clearly not the priority.

But you know we'll hear all these warchest and ready to spend big rumors up until the end of summer.

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nikola Milenkovic look like an interesting option at CB;

- same age as Tuanzebe (23)
    - 107 games for Fiorentina in Serie A
    - 10 goals (mostly headers at corners)
    - 26 caps and 1 goal for Serbia
    - can also play right-back
    - 6’5 and good in the air + decent pace
    - the number of games suggests not injury prone

Contract to summer 22, so Fiorentina will likely have to cash in during the summer. City and Liverpool also interested apparently - but hey we have history with Serbian Centre-Backs :)

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we need more than decent pace though. we already have one tall lummox as a fixture in the back

johno repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No telling for certain how much they'd want for Haaland this summer (although I doubt they'd want to part with 2 top assets in one window). But knowing them and based on their stance last summer when it came to Sancho, it wouldn't surprise me if they were to hold out for 120mil+ Es minimum.

22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    From this...

To this... In 4 days no less.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    ?

i was referring to trying for a top level CB in both cases. even if Konaté is unlikely. what's the problem

24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lewandowski will be 34 after next season and will need replacing.... just saying.

Deadtigers and Chaz Striker repped this.
  25. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I know an athletic partner for Maguire is what everyone wants, but I thought you were pretty vocal on wanting bodies in general. If we can get him cheap enough, he may push Maguire to the bench. IF we get an athletic RCB too. But he's a body, and a pretty decent one at that.