Werder Bremen 2015/16: Bringing home the bacon

Discussion in 'SV Werder Bremen' started by Epitome990, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #1 Epitome990, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    One final test before the new campaign begins as Werder and our fans travel to take on West Ham. Despite going behind early, Ujah quickly got us back leveled from a long ranged shot attempt. Ulisses Garcia also continuing to make strides, showing notably with that dribble move cutting through the defense to create an assist on Ujah's second. Several good moments from Grillitsch as well with a couple opportunities from his set pieces. A trio of youngsters, Manneh, Frode, and Zander got a chance to feature in the closing frame. With Manneh showing some active attacking in the final third. Overall, a quality result winning this one 2-1.

Great additional footage of Werder fans singing Wonderwall during the match

cortisoljunkie repped this.
  2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Lorenzen and Santi Garcia making their comeback first with the U23 team. They'll both feature in the test match versus Bielefeld today. While Guwara, Rehfeldt, and Hilssner join the pros in training.

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Santi did well having scored in his return today. Looks like he should be ready to go soon with first team.

4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    AJ's first team training session

Top goals from summer pre-season matches

Dr.Phil repped this.
  5. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Not long to go now! 28 hours and 12 minutes. I'll be streaming online like the poor sod that I am, whilst riding it out right here. Hoping for an open attacking game, none of that clammy closed-down BS we put out at the start of this year. :cautious:

6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Here's my prediction for the starting XI today versus Schalke:

-----------------Ujah--------Johannsson-------------
    -----------------------Bartels-----------------------------
    --------------Junuzovic------Fritz---------------------
    ----------------------Bargfrede---------------------------
    Sternberg--Vestergard---Galvez----Gebre Selassie
    ----------------------Wiedwald--------------------------

The new Ujah and Johannsson striker partnership will be exciting to see. Ideally I'd rather see Oztunali as the starter instead of Fritz but for the season opener, Skrippo will most likely go with the veteran for now. Later on in the season, we'll gradually see a transition shift towards favoring the youngster. Also notable is that Grillitsch, Maxi Eggestein, and Ulisses Garcia all remain with the pros and have been called up for this game.

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    The Weserstadion rocking as always on opening day, it's great to be back! :cool:

8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Good chance at the 6th min mark. Bargfrede finds Ulisses emerging up the flank with a great long ball who then beats EMCM with another cross, but Oztunali couldn't quite connect in the middle.

9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Oztunali showing some quality strength and control on that dribble, bossing Nastasic completely.

10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Liking what I see from Ulisses so far. Active advancing forward contributing to multiple attacking chances. Luki as well has been solid. Made that clutch clearance just in front of goal.

11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Fine save by Wiedwald to deny Goretzka's header. Followed later by a huge tackle by Vertergaard to stop Franco di Judas in his tracks.

12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Blah! OG, Theo with an unfortunate touch deflection. Really gotta step it up now.

13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #13 Epitome990, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Fritz may be getting up there in age, but I must say he's been surprisingly steady today. And made that great effort with his long range shot going just wide of the top left corner.

14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    This could be Draxler's full comeback season in the BL, looked dangerous there on that forward drive and through ball. However fortunately, Wiedwald makes another big save to stop Huntelaar.

15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    AJ making his debut, alright let's go!!

Close one, Bartels squeezes past Schalke's defense but his shot sails just wide.

16. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Oh man, what a joy it is to watch Ulisses on those swift one-two passing sequences.

17. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    #17 cortisoljunkie, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    I should stop taking the piss out of Matip :eek:

Just woke up on the floor with all the lights on in the room and my scarf over my head about 10 mins ago... just in time to see EMCMs goal ;)

LOL! Wiedwald just taking a casual excursion into the other half of the ground :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    What the heck happened to Marco Hoger?? Is he doing everything possible to look just like Christian Fuchs. :D

19. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    LEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Just lessening the loss :whistling::)

20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Crosses just like Fuchs too. ;)

21. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    It probably is Fuchs... leicester are in for a shock if they ever do DNA test, 'who the hell is Höger'?

Epitome990 repped this.
  22. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Mmh, it could be one of the seasons where you play a very good pre-season,
    but mess up the real matches completely. The cup performance was already weak
    and we adavnced with some luck; Well, and yesterday Schalke punished Werder
    for positioning mistakes. Skripnik has to find answers and the players must f***
    start to concentrate. Some players were yesterday not ready for the Bundesliga.

23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Except for the unusual own goal, I found that the first half started rather well. At least in terms of defensive play. Luki and Verstergaard had Judas di Santo in their pocket, and kept him completely off from being any threat. However, offensively is where we looked lackadaisical. Too many times where we had chances in and around the final third but were unable to get off a decent shot.

Bartels was ineffective and invisible. Ujah appeared to have drifted away from the forward position too often. Even Juno should have done better with getting several of his shots on target. Oztunali began with some encouraging displays but faded later on. Despite our defenders clearly not having a chance to stop Leroy, the third goal could have been avoidable altogether. Grillitsch's shot attempt was just poor, and AJ tried to be a little too fancy on that bicycle kick that missed completely which eventually lead to counter. With that said, I'd like to see Skrippo change things up for the next match considerably.

24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Bartels will be out for Friday vs Hertha. An opportunity for AJ to step up in the starting lineup. I'd like to see how he does playing from the beginning and links up with Ujah.

25. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    I missed the Friday game due to work, but a 1-1 draw against Hertha is what I expected. Happy to see Ujah get his first of the season. Hope that gives him the confidence to get into scoring form. Also Ulisses continues to be settling in nicely with the first team. He has my vote for starting LB as we move forward.