Wenger's Wit

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by shincan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Recently, Wenger has seemed funnier, sharper, and more on-target than usual. Take, for example, that statement about players on England's team who couldn't play for Arsenal. Brilliant. And, I totally lost it, laughing and agreeing, when I read his comment about Reyes and A. Madrid:

"It’s like you wanting to marry Miss World and she doesn’t want you. I can try to help you but if she does not want to marry you what can I do?"

Totally awesome. If I wanted to marry Miss World, Wenger would try to help. Would Sir Alex? Would Benitez? Hell no.

Are there more brilliant and funny utterings from the greatest coach ever?

2. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That england comment is absolutely priceless. I would love to hear the comments of some england supporters on that one.

3. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    the quote about reyes the other day was a gem

''"It looks like it will remain a dream," Wenger stated.

"There is no deal with Madrid, I can assure you.

"His agent flies 2,000 feet in the air - but he must come down to earth again."

class, and then he goes on to say something like

''unless there representitives(madrids) have an offer that matches our valuation, they might as well stay at home''

4. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, Reyes sits on the bench with a mysterious "groin" ailment. I guess his groin hurts from whacking it too much thinking about a Real move, because it sure ain't from football.

I'm all for humor, but if he doesn't wanna be here, JETTISON HIM. Cashley, too. They'll just bring the whole team effort down.

5. carw2005

carw2005 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Herts, UK
    I want Cashley and Reyes to stay but i also want them to want to stay! Reyes is easily replaced in my eyes. Its a shame earlier in the transfer period Wemger made it sound like these Madrid rumours come from Spain and not from Reyes, maybe if he knew how much Reyes wanted to leave we coulda put a bid in for Ribery...justa thought.

6. sixfive

sixfive New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Yeah I read the Miss World comments earlier and was crackin up, especially about "I can try to help you.."

7. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr
    I love the whole "What can I do?" part hahaha. I don't think I've read those words more times in the past decade, than in that article :D

8. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    His man is great, they should have named the new stadium after him

9. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Or at least a stand... We should name the south stand "Wengers end"

10. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Agreed although i would have liked a stand to go to Thierry, maybe in the future, but Arsenal are known for their tradition

11. Rt. Hon. Basil Brush

May 16, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How about this one: "Theo is more positive and doesnt want to go to Spain!"

Le Boss is on a roll.:D

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Or even funnier:

Do not think that we do not have the money to buy anyone if nobody goes out, that is not true.

You know, if Wenger had come out two months ago and said something like, "We're happy with the team. Rosicky is going to be a great addition and I'm going to wait until January to assess the recoveries of Diaby and Sendoros" then I would have been a lot happier with this offseason. As it stands now, still saying that we've maybe got the money and there's a player or two he's got his eyes on, is just a cruel game to play on fans. No wonder the media publish such rubbish, because Wenger (and hosts of other coaches just like him) play this game. So it very well looks like we'll be stuck with Cole, who could be the very first player I hope breaks a leg, and Reyes, which isn't so bad, except that it's so frustrating watching him because he can be soo transcendant when he's on a good run.

I guess since there is no action on the transfer front, Wenger's got the time to come up with these one-liners. Everything's a tradeoff...

13. Postman is a Prophet

Aug 28, 2004
    HILARIOUS

14. TheBigBoy

TheBigBoy New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Class

Let's hope he can some how channel that ingenuity into beating Boro 75-0

mr.Arsene will you help me marry miss world, shewon't be able to say no to me?

15. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Another stinging one liner after Boro game:

On Coles book;

"To sell books they have to be controversial in this country and I didn't read it but we are united here and I think people may need to move clubs to see that,"

16. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In Arsenal's press conference announcing that Cesc would be signing a new contract:
    “I am delighted because he signed for Real Madrid a few months ago,” Wenger joked. “It is a wonderful commitment from him and it is a reward for us because we brought him over at 16 years of age. It shows you can give a young player the culture of this Club.”

17. zonametro

zonametro ASU here I come!!

Jan 26, 2006
    Arizona
  18. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "What are all these asterisks in the newspaper?" - Arsène Wenger

probably about Cole !!

19. GrimsbyGooner

GrimsbyGooner Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I heard this too on Arsenal TV... hilarious. good on him!

20. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    A bit belated, but I liked this one from Saturday postgame:

"'People have been writing us off, to the extent that some of them have even had us playing in Division One next season."

Hmm, le Boss reads bigsoccer?

21. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    It must be tough to be coaching at such a high level of competition and still mantain a constant, thoughtful cool. I can hardly stay calm when trying to open a bag of nachos.

22. carw2005

carw2005 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Herts, UK
  23. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    I got one quote...

So true...

24. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant picture in my mind Arsenal taking the field without Arsene stading on the sidelines. It will be a sad day when he leaves.

25. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Agreed it will be an emotional day for sure :(