Wenger looks for video help...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Apr 18, 2008.

1. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, you are right. When I refer to VAR, I'm referring to the entire process and personnel that go into how it is applied.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the reputation of the EPL is being tarnished by their VAR implementation. But supposedly it's introduction in the Bundesliga was also a little rocky, or at least there was widespread unpopularity amongst many constituents. (I don't follow that league so I can only say what I heard)

As an aside, I believe I just heard Arlo White on NBC say "VAR brought to you by Verizon". Whoa! Some company wants to associate themselves with the EPL's version of VAR in all of it's "glory"?! That's the first I've heard of that!

Exactly. VAR more than anything is just a person or group of persons. People who employ state of the art video review technology, but still just people making decisions. Thus the name "Video Assistant Referee."

That's actually why I still have hope. These VAR people, as directed by the other people involved like PGMOL, FA, etc, should be able to correct and improve on the most questionable aspects of their implementation so far. E.g. getting the HR to consult the pitchside screen more, and to do it in a prudent time-efficient way, is based on people making decisions more than it is about any technology.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the reputation of the EPL is being tarnished by their VAR implementation. But supposedly it's introduction in the Bundesliga was also a little rocky, or at least there was widespread unpopularity amongst many constituents. (I don't follow that league so I can only say what I heard)

As an aside, I believe I just heard Arlo White on NBC say "VAR brought to you by Verizon". Whoa! Some company wants to associate themselves with the EPL's version of VAR in all of its "glory"?! That's the first I've heard of that!

Exactly. VAR more than anything is just a person or group of persons. People who employ state of the art video review technology, but still just people making decisions. Thus the name "Video Assistant Referee."

That's actually why I still have hope. These VAR people, as directed by the other people involved like PGMOL, EPL, FA, etc, should be able to correct and improve on the most questionable aspects of their implementation so far. E.g. getting the HR to consult the pitchside screen more, and to do it in a prudent time-efficient way, is based on people making decisions more than it is about any technology.