Wenger is a dork

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by benine, Aug 27, 2002.

1. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Bad thread title, couldnt think of how to introduce this stupidity.

http://www.football365.com/All_News/Premiership_News/story_38775.shtml

Yeah, Arsen, sure...after your boys fail to retain the title this year, lets see if he's still on this crack.

EPL, LaLiga and Bundesliga teams have recently dominated all of the Champs competition, if you limit it the way he wants to, why not just suggest it be a Valencia/BvD/Arsenal round robin for the championship? What a nerd.

You know if B.Munich, R.Madrid or Barcelona won their leagues he wouldnt be talking about this.

2. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're totally out of touch with the majority of football fans. The Champions League should be for just that, the Champions of each country. The competition has been devalued by letting every team that got anywhere near the top of their league in. The motive might be suspect, but the sentiment is spot on.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    As much as it pains me to admit it, I agree with Wenger on this one (though I had to see the replay - I didn't see it when it first happened).

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the points are:

a) Wenger waited until he finally won the EPL again before offering his "advice"

b) Wenger is trying to wind up Fergie on the day of United's qualifying match

*yawn*

5. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    I at least agree with the sentiment of making the CL for champions again, or at the most two combatants from a league (unlike the current four, and a possible maximum of five under very special circumstances). It's no promise that it'll be the "best teams against the best teams," which is what Wenger says he's looking for, but at least it would be an actual Champions' League. Right now there is no CL, only the Big UEFA Cup and the Little UEFA Cup.

I can also warm up to the idea of a "league" if the number of participants were held to 16 (champions only, never likely to happen). Considering how many matches the CL finalists have to play (17), it's not too much different if you don't have home & away legs; each matchup would just have one leg, alternating between home and away. That league would be very captivating to watch.

Wenger's solution of a league with only nine or ten teams is pretty silly.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any solution with less games, means less money. So you can forget about shrinking the competition by a wide margin, if at all. I'm not saying that's good for the game, mind you....

7. denalimn

denalimn New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Minnesota
    I agree with Wenger's sentiment that the CL should be limited to champions only, but for Wenger to only advocate for it while he holds the EPL trophy is unbelievable. He's happy to reap the rewards when Arsenal qualify for the CL through the back door. Typical Frenchman.

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's just trying to wind up good old spits.

9. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
  10. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I have no problems with Man U advancing, despite the embarrassment factor. Has anyone noticed Manchester's horrendous record in weekend games immediately following one of their CL games?

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He DID say something to the effect that it doesn't matter if its Arsenal or Man U on the outside, only champions should be allowed in.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the issue is that he found "enlightenment" only after being the reigning champion. It would mean more coming from Houllier for example.

13. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In the case someone wanted to do a CL with only the best teams, this should include: 4 from Spain and England, 3 for Italy and Germany, two more to complete 16 to choose from the best among France, Holland, and Turkey...

14. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Does Arsene honestly expect Arsenal to win the EPL every year? Will they win it every year? Well duh, no. He isn't just rubbing it in because he and ManU are already in the CL this year, and next year (or whenever these changes would occur) they're not.

15. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    How do you figure that? Just because he is being quoted as saying such now doesn't mean he didn't feel that way 1, 2, or even 3 years ago. He made the response because UEFA are about to revamp the Champions League format.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He he he ... yeah - just because he said this, it obviously has nothing to do with his true beliefs and everything to do with Manchester United. Because Wenger has always shown himself SOOOOO amenable to the petty games Demento likes to play in an effort to convince himself of his own brilliance.

That's the problem with Man Yoo fans - you can't talk about football with them in any real sense because everything is measured by the lamentable standards of their own club and manager when it comes to the future and nature of the game.

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I've pretty much lost interest in the Champions' League. I followed it last year because my then "hometown" team made a Cinderella run to the final, but otherwise I think they've made a terrific competition much less interesting - just to appease the G14.

I think they should go back to the old system. If the G14 starts to bitch and moan, then let them break away and form their own league, but shut them out of all domestic league competitions. Let's see how long people remain interested in the G14 when they're playing each other every week. I think you'd find that after a few years, they'd come crawling back to their domestic leagues - a whole lot poorer and with a much better grip on reality. And in the meantime, the domestic leagues would be much more interesting without Bayern, Man Yoo and Real Madrid winning all the titles.

And if anyone from UEFA is reading this, I'd like to say: For the love of God, bring back the Cup Winners' Cup!

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is the problem with Liverpool supporters. Despite having more titles and Cups than United, they suffer from an inferiority complex of the highest order. Maybe it has something to do with United catching up quite quickly over the past few years...

19. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    hehe...if Wenger or anyone else had said this (and people have in the past, plenty) when ManU were the league champions, then you would be agreeing with them.
    I have no problem with the CL becoming a champions only event. It would cut down on the number of games, thus reducing wear and tear, and it would create a more cutthroat atmosphere. But b/c that would cut down on money, it will never happen.

20. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

Just like Liverpool fans are the only ones to immediatley attempt to discredit anyone on basis of support alone. Typical bitter mouth scouse ignorant rationalizations. Did I bring up Fergie? Did I bring up ManU? Stop rationalizing your hate outside the context of it's focus.

Idiot.

21. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think everyone here realises that Arsenal will not be playing in the Champions League every year if Wenger's plan was put into practice, obviously including Wenger himself. So what are you arguing about?

The question remains, do you support having the Champions League just for the Champions of each country? Would this make it a better tournament? I think it would and would love to see it. When it was only the champions going into the European Cup, it still didn't stop me watching the games, whichever English representative was involved.

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think we'd all agree that it would be better for the game, but since it would include less money, it'll never happen.

23. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

It would make the league season more competive, but the actual competition would be very boring being just a 3 or 4 team comp (Bundesliga, LaLiga, EPL, Seria A). And, as we saw last year in most of the majors, league champions are often not at all the best teams in the league. Honestly, who would you least like to play: BvD or B.Munich? Valencia or R.Madrid? Can we say with 100% certainty that Juve is better than Roma and Inter, with 2 points seperating the three last year? And the money...it automatically would give one club $50 million more than even the second best team in their leagues, setting up Old Firm Europe.
    If this were the idea, I would rather the Phoenix League thing be revisited.

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Re: Wenger is a dork

ROFL!! My original comment adds up to a statement borne of an inferiority complex??

HAHA! Okey dokey. Me, inferior to a "Man Yoo fan". Arf.

You know the drill, my plazzie little playthings. The only reason you brought this up is because you think there was an implied slight upon "your" beloved club. You know it and everyone else knows it, which is why everyone else on this thread is just taking the piss out of you.

As to the substance of his comments, he's half-right. The "Champions League" should be for champions only. Liverpool, United and Newcastle should this season be in the UEFA Cup. They could, in actual fact, rename it the European Cup, given that that competition now more accurately represents the original format.

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Wenger is a dork

What a load of crap. "This is why you can't talk to Man Yoo fans, they're all blah blah blah" is what I was responding to. And my response was to the Liverpool supporters who are currently obsessed with Manchester United - you're more happy when we lose, than when you win - you like your boring as hell football - etc. I don't think anybody doubts that Arsene's timing led to the speculation of motive - in this case: Manchester United's Qualifying Match. I also don't think many people doubt that this is how he truly feels, most people probably agree (including Houllier and Ferguson probably). it's just that it more than likely won't happen cause of the money issue.

And you are definately an arrogant cnut besides. Cheers.