Wembley here we come : New England Revs @ Sporting KC 5/25 7:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, May 21, 2011.

1. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Amen.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Like"

3. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    I just don't get the general disdain for this tournament. I know these are not league games, but would we field a lesser squad for the champions league if we qualified? No, the open cup does not have the prestige of the european non-league cups, but it is our equivalent. That and I just am not a fan of ever having our club take the field with a half-assed attitude. Either you play a match with the 100% goal of wining or you dont go. You use the best tools available to win or you just dont play. I understand the point of view that some have, get where you are coming from, just see it differently. To me fielding anything lest than your best starting 11 for any competitive match is a slap in the face to the organization, the players, the fans, and the competition. There are 3 major pieces of hardware to chase this year...the supporters shield, league championship, and US Open Cup championship. Going after any of those half-assed is just pointless IMO.I think the debate in NY about the supporters shield vs the league championship was humiliating. The answer is that you want to win both, the US Open Cup, and the Champions League title. Not one is more important than the others. Either play balls out or dont play. Rant over, sorry for it, but had to get it off my chest. Sick of watching the team lose, then to hear that we should field a less than optimal squad in a national competition just got under my skin.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the VAST majority of fans don't care (and don't know) about the Open Cup. Most fans in the US consider the league and the playoffs the most important thing, like any other sport in this country. There's a reason some teams (even those with SSS like Chicago) have played these games in smaller venues, because out side the diehards on message boards or in the Cauldron not many people know or care about this competition. I mean the team as of yesterday was STILL pimping tickets for sale for the game on Wednesday and there are only like 1,500. What's that tell you about the importance of this tournament to the average fan when we have 11K STH and we're having trouble selling 1,500 for an Open Cup qualifier?

It also doesn't help that the prize money for winning it is so small ($100,000 TOTAL) that it's not really worth teams time to devote a ton of resources to competing in the tournament. I've said for years that the prize money needs to be raised if you really want all MLS teams to take the competition seriously. Get a corporate sponsor for the tournament that will chip in prize money to make it worth it.

5. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    I hadnt considered that Buzz. Keep forgetting to step back and realize that John Q Public is mainly on the bandwaggon. I wonder how the players feel about it. The coaching staff. Smith apparently wants to play Wednesday. As players and staff I would HOPE they want to win the US Open Cup. If not our on field problems are the least of our worries!

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs beat writer, Kyle McCarthy says that the Revs are sending a "reserve heavy" team for the game.

7. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, based on our form so far this season, they may feel that they don't need to bring their starting 11 to be more than competitive against us?

8. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just hoping that the freaking weather calms down by tomorrow night. I can handle a gentle rain, just not pouring cats and dogs and cows and horses with a little hail mixed in for good measure.....

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Last home game without a roof?

10. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking like we're going to be wishing we had a roof. The forecast is depressing looking, words such as strong storms being thrown around.

11. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im fine with anything but hail....

12. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So tornadoes don't bother you?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a poor time for that joke considering what happened in Joplin...

14. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really meant to be a joke, Mike. Tornadoes actually scare the crap out of me. I'll remove the face if that helps you out........

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The smiley is what made me think it was a joke, my apologies.

16. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since most tornadoes are accompanied by hail, he's probably covered...

That's not to say that they can't be produced without hail, or that it has to hail before a tornado comes... but I generally link hail and tornadoes together myself.

Good thing we can only seat 1.5k, otherwise people would probably cry "move KC" again, just because there was a cause to do it one more time.

(Of course, if we only have 300 in a spot for 1.5k...)

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing the camera is likely to be on the bleachers side, they'll just see the driving range across the street.

18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have lived in KC all my life and thankfully have never seen a tornado live. Have seen plenty of hail unfortunately. If there is any chance of severe weather, I don't plan on risking it.

I think the driving range is gone now. Just an empty field from what I remember last time I drove by.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there still a parking lot for us to heckle people that sit there instead of choosing to pay?

20. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Davy Arnaud is out, he played injured for us at the weekend and just isn't going to be ready to go tomorrow. Otherwise I'd class the lineup as middling to high in terms of quality based on what I saw today.

21. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is all gone, but i'm not sure. I know there is a sonic across the street from the stadium and a Johny's Tavern and a Blue Mouse bar just up the street from the complex as well if people want to have a drink or food before the game.

I am pretty excited for this game though, it is about 2 miles from where I live so I might even walk to the game (if the weather forecast changes that is).

22. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A. Yes, it's been gone for quite a while.

B. I resent this latest comment.....

23. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Just curious, if we win this and qualify for the rest of the tournament, the games will start up in late June. Wouldn't winning this game guarantee us at least one home USOC game in the new stadium and the revenue that comes with it?

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it would not. In the tournament proper, hosting is done by bids. Hence why DC hasn't played an away game in the USOC proper since like 2007 or so. They bid a high enough amount of money to US Soccer to get the games.

revenue? Lol that's a good one. The USOC has basically been a money loser for teams that host.

25. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe that in the USOC you bid for the rights to host the game. There are no guarantees .....

I wish it was simply a random draw, but right now if we plan to win the thing we need those games at home.