Pre-match: Weltmeister vs. Poland 10/11/14

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by P to the Wee, Oct 8, 2014.

1. soccerfanfromcanada

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Maybe Mustafi will get a chance to see what he can do? I would say Draxler and Podolski should get a chance to start against Ireland.

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mustafi had his chance. He played very poorly and then got injured. Where do you want him playing anyway? If its at CB, I think Hummels-Boateng is our set-in-stone partnership barring something drastic for probably the next five years. If it's at FB, there are a lot of players I'd rather try before I try Mustafi, who was a trainwreck at FB during the Cup.

3. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Without Mertesacker the defense is a mess and without Klose the offense is toothless.

4. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, if Lewy were German, we would've won!;)

5. solidarity19eighty

Jun 25, 2014
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    #105 solidarity19eighty, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Watched this match in a Hannover bar with my sister as the only Polish fans. GK Boruc had one of the performances of the Tourney. After the match my older sister & I had slight tears in our eyes and we shared a special moment. While around us total chaos erupted with cars hunking (people hanging out of them) and people singing in the streets.

2014 had an amazing group stage and pleasurable finish but 2006 in Deutschland will always feel like losing my WC virginity. It is said and even written (search online) that the 2006 WC represented the first time since the War that Germans openly expressed Nationalism. Even something as simple as showcasing the German flag. As someone that respects and idealizes present day Deutschland, i feel very proud to have seen and been a part of that experience first hand.

Today, Germany played undermanned and well enough to Win. At Halftime it was hard enough to imagine getting past Hummels AND Neuer without even Bastian in front. On the flip side this will go down in Polish history given the 'it took 19 tries to Win'. Poland has defeated every noteworthy futbol nation and with a decent record.... Except neighbors Germany. This sort of victory transcends sports. It signifies to Poles around the World that the homeland is on the upswing. I can proudly say, In my lifetime Polska defeated the Niemcy [emoji2]

6. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Missed the World Cup when he was benched after the Algeria game? Didn't look like a mess then. And it's not like Mertesacker guarantees a stable defense in qualifiers. Remember Germany vs. Sweden ending 4:4? That was Mertesacker with Badstuber and Boateng as right back.

I'd rather say without a striker the offense is toothless under certain conditions. When the opponent is parking the bus, for example. Klose wasn't a great player anymore recently. But he was there making space for the offensive midfielders. Now, with Gomez out injured, there was no one. That's Löw's fault. He could have just brought Kießling. And don't tell me isn't good enough to play against Poland and Ireland. Especially when players like Rüdiger, Mustafi and Rudy are invited.

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He has Kruse though

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "The evening had begun with a remarkable, almost historical gesture. Nationalstadion Warsaw at 20.40: when the German anthem was played in honor of the guest team, first whistles rang around the stands. Spontaneously, the non-whistling Polish fans started applauding. When the anthem had reached the line "blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes, blühe, deutsches Vaterland" almost all of the stadium was applauding and the whistling had stopped. It was a demonstration of respect and friendship to the neighbor."

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/dfb-niederlage-gegen-polen-instinktlos-im-post-wm-blues-1.2169689

chewz, solidarity19eighty and Liquid1010 repped this.
  9. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is Kruse's playing style as a central striker really different from Müller's? Isn't he leaving the centre a lot as well and playing more like an offensive midfielder? I'm not sure.

10. swit0539

swit0539 Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    well done Poland!!

solidarity19eighty repped this.
  11. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're going to have to play harder and win the remaining ones.

12. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    <insert 3,000 posts attempting to conduct a rational discussion with P to the Wee and failing. I should have learned from my kids, 2 year olds (or people with minds like them) are impossible to reason with.>
    OK, I give up.

13. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The "niemcy"? What's that, the Polish name for Germany?

14. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not completely sure that Kießling would come if asked. He's said previously he would never play for Löw, mainly because Löw once said that he wasn't the striker that the NT needed. I think Löw tried to get him before the WC but Kießling wouldn't go.

15. Spanky144

Spanky144 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yes, Polish for Germans.

solidarity19eighty repped this.
  16. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The mistake you made was getting all butthurt over 'Easy Win'. Glad you're finally giving up.

17. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They had that bus parked for the entire match. Nothing really changed after the 1-0.

The goal was a comedy of errors. Durm with the idiotic forward header instead of just passing it back to Neuer. Then Hummels completely falling asleep and letting his man run free. Then Neuer with a brain fart.

We had 3 chances to completely stop that situation from turning into a goal, and in all three an error was made.

18. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Problem is other than Kiessling, why isnt there another option at CF?

Kruse is too similar to Reus n Thomas Mueller in terms of style

19. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He is not.. he's a real center forward and by style is close to Klose

20. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I couldnt watch it...why kruse was called so late in the game???

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There was no need to throw him in earlier cause we had chance after chance already without him. We really had them reeling. We just did not convert those chances.

22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Someone make tomorrow's game thread. I think my thread making negates my easy wins!!!