Wells Thompson?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bjgcheese, Sep 10, 2012.

1. bjgcheese

bjgcheese Member

May 25, 2007
    Why is Wells Thompson tweeting about his new opportunity in Chicago?

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    hmmm, interesting. There was a twitter rumor earlier today (yesterday?) that he was coming this way. Never thought there would be truth. He supposedly wants more playing time, and as somebody pointed out, he won't (or at least shouldn't) really get that here. But, I guess when you have spaces to fill, you might as well fill them

3. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago
    [​IMG]
    I got this off of Fire Confidential, who got this from Burgundy Wave.

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Its on the official Fire page now. All we gave them was a conditional draft pick. Not sure of public opinion about this guy, but anytime you get a guy for basically free (Not like our draft picks are anything to write home about usually), no reason not to take him.

5. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hmm.someone will be playing in Orlando next spring , pick up your game corben bone.

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    He apparently chose the number 2 as his jersey number (wore 15 in Colorado). interesting choice, given that a few people I have seen have wondered if he might be being brought in to play fullback rather than midfield....

It should be noted that 15 is taken by Barouch, as are most other low numbers, so it could have simply been a choice of whats left. Hate to read to much into jersey numbers as nobody seems to care anymore if their number matches anything close to their position. Clint Dempsey also chose 2 at Spurs, and I am assuming (hoping) AVB has no inention of playing him in defense.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy the Holy Hacker, the idea of having him in defense and anywhere close to the box just leads me to believe you'll be seeing a number of penalties called against you...

8. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This honestly makes not a bit of sense to me. If there is one thing we absolutely do not need, especially with El Capitan on the mend, it's a DMid, and we're even relatively covered at fullback. Outside mid, maybe?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps we had to make this trade for MLS to allow the transfer of Barouch to happen.

10. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A short stint before he and/ or corben and / or cash are sent to Orlando...next spring.

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I played against him in high school, so that's cool at least.

12. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Maaan what is up with the Fire signing MLS players that I can't stand??!! First Flaco, now Thompson the spaz. Hopefully Lenhart is next...:sick:

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell you the truth I don't remember too much about him. 5 goals in 75 games. I guess he should fit in with the other fire players who average a goal every 15 games.I just hope we're not done acquiring players this season.

14. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plan is apparently to play him as an outside midfielder. With Nyarko struggling with nagging injuries (he's apparently been playing through a fair amount of pain lately) and Pappa gone, I guess I can see the reasoning given that we got him for practically nothing. I'll admit, though, when I saw the news that he had requested a trade from Colorado, I quickly dismissed him as a player we didn't need.

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I know you don't retire numbers in soccer, but I would like to see the No. 2 go vacant for a bit longer, or at least get filled by someone who is not a journeyman bench rider.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'll stop you right there. I think this is the problem. ;):D

17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Even if he ends up just being another sub for practice it's a smart move. There's no reason to leave a spot open since the team doesn't get to keep the cap space for a later time.

18. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess despite only scoring 5 goals and having 4 assists in 75 games he's not considered a defensive mid so all I can say is if this is the best we can do before the deadline,we are in trouble.

19. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Total spazmo :geek:

20. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Columbus gets Higuain and we get...

Wells Thompson.

*sigh*

21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOT trolling.

Congrats on landing Wells Thompson. I, for one, will miss him in Colorado. Here are a few thoughts about his current level of play, and what he might bring to the table for Chicago.

Positives:
    + Wells is a conditioning freak. He was the best-conditioned player in the Rapids camp each season, and dominated the BEEP test every year. Because of his conditioning, he has avoided the injury bug from conditioning-related injuries.
    + He has heart. Regardless of the score or team record, he gives everything he has. Three times this season, he tracked back over half the pitch to make goal-saving tackles in the box. (That may shed some light on one of the Rapids' many problems, lack of a competent back line.)
    + He is growing as a player. In New England, he had a well-deserved rep as a card collector and hacker. Under Gary Smith, especially, he toned it down quite a bit and learned to play under control. His ratio of fouls suffered to fouls committed has turned positive, and he only bagged one YC this season in 17 games.
    + Off the field, he is the real deal. He quietly was involved in the community, visiting kids at Children's Hospital and doing real work in a number of area charities. He doesn't boast about this, but does it quietly. He was the Rapids Humanitarian of the Year last season, and would have repeated this year. He's a likeable guy and really easy to get to know. (Some of Wells' critics come at him with an anti-religious bias. He is outspoken, but he also walks the walk.)

Negatives:
    - Wells is much better defensively than offensively. In a wide or attacking position, he sometimes is indecisive with the ball at his feet. He has a tendency to wander a bit, showing lots of energy but a little less focus.
    - Even though he has grown a lot, he still has trouble staying cool and collected when another player deliberately baits him. This is especially evident in friendlies and non-league competition.

What he can offer Chicago:
    = He is a versatile player. He can handle D-Mid and A-Mid duties. In a pinch, he can drop in the back line, though he's a bit of a fish out of water there. He can also play up top if things get really desperate. He is better in a 4-4-2 than a 4-3-3.
    = He brings a lot of intangibles. He is so passionate that he wakes up players around him. He has a rep of being a good guy in the locker room and keeping the team loose with cheesy jokes and pranks. He certainly has his teammates backs in chippy matches. Coming off the bench, he drives opposing teams nuts and opens space for players who have better scoring skills. He has an uncanny knack for suffering fouls deep in the opponents' defensive third.
    = You guys got him cheap because he asked to be traded. Defender Kosuke Kimura did the same thing earlier this year, and is now in Portland. Things are not well in Rapids-land, from the dysfunctional front office to a coach with training wheels to a patchwork team filled with injured players. We expect more players to bail / retire / flee for the hills / whatever as this miserable wretch of a season ends.

A little context for evaluating comments from Rapids fans (me included). The player Rapids fans hate the most is whoever is on the pitch. The player fans love the most is the one they want to acquire from another team. And the player fans remember the fondest is whoever just retired. We're a jaded bunch at times, especially in a season where the only things to be thankful for are that the season will end soon and that the MLS doesn't relegate teams.

Best wishes for the remaining season and the playoffs. (I say that sincerely.) I think you guys will see a lot of good qualities in Wells and will learn that he brings intangibles to the match that offset some of his weaknesses. I think he fits well with a solid team like Chicago, and will be a decent addition to your team.

GHjelm, skinut, I PINCH! and 8 others repped this.
  22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I just gave positive rep to a fan of an opposing team posting in the Fire forum.

I wish we still had neg rep so all of you could neg rep me. :(

23. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No neg rep here- I do not at all mind that kind of posting in our forum, and I repped him, too :)

bunge repped this.
  24. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what we need, another def mid or an a-mid who doesn't score or assist much. How is he in the 4-5-1?

25. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    He'll fit right into FK's upcoming 4-6-0 plans

nowherenova repped this.