Well-known MLS hater Giorgio Chinaglia, on the lam from the Italian police

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JeremyEritrea, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    He's been ripping people off hi swhole life. Time Wanar, restaurants, the Boys Scouts (serious - stiffed them at CWorld), CWorld of course.

Anyone who involves themselves with him always get's the short end.

There is a reason all of the former Cosmos have stayed away from him using a 10 ft poll. he has tried to get almost all of them involved in hisbusiness dealings - Franz, CArlos, Pele.

They just knew him to well.

The man is a slimeball. Through and through.

What comes around goes around.

He has extended his career here using the ignorance of the general Yank soccer public and media who don't know any better.

Finally caught up with him. Even bribes won't work this time. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. About time.

2. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, did anyone listen to the radio show? Inquiring minds want to know.

3. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I bet it was like every other edition of The Football Show:

30 minutes - Charlie Stilletano makes up "funny" ways to say "Giorgio".
    30 minutes - Charlie refers to Giorgio as "The greatest of all time"
    30 minutes - Callers and Charlie complain about the way Italy was covered during Euro 2008.
    15 minutes - Giorgio mumbles something only Charlie can understand.
    15 minutes - Random talk about ManU

And that's pretty much it.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Champions World had one good year where they had a few games with decent attendances. The next year, they went completely apeshait and booked a lot more games in a lot more cities with a lot more clubs. For various reasons, their second season didn't have the same attendance and they were unable to meet all their expenses and went belly up. It's a fairly typical story of a business overextending themselves and probably didn't involve anything illegal. Still, Giorgio seemed to have such a attutude of showing MLS how it was done that he didn't make many fans around here. I'm sure there were a lot of grins around MLS headquarters when his empire disintegarted.

5. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    Didn't Giorgio file for Chapter 11 a long while ago?

6. denver_mugwamp

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    That would depend on your definition of "long". The news story I found was dated January of 2005. I remember somebody in a law office gave us access to the documents and they were quite interesting.

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    That's what SHE said.

(I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.)

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had leased one or two Lexus's for the use of Chinaglia and his pals.

9. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    But how do you really feel about him? Regardless of how things turned out financially, every one of those ventures provided an exciting product to watch. But thanks to MLS, none of us need to renew our prescriptions for Ambien, as we can just turn on the Thursday night game of the week and hopefully wake up in time to go to work in the morning.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Really? A couple of matches were good, the others boring and reserve filled, and grossly overpriced for the exhibitions/money grabs they were, which resulted in backlash and lack of interest.

Must be a Giorgio friend.

No one who knows GC well does business with him. No one. From NYC days on. Not an accident. I was there. The man in not liked or respected and he is finally getting some heat he deserves after ripping off so many.

If Thursdays are so bad for you put in an old NASL tape in and relieve yourself to it. Thursday games pretty much look like and feel like every Italian League game now that doesn't involve the top 4 teams. MLS games probably draw more and are louder also than most of the others.

Forget ambian, get me a gun.

In any world GC is a scumbag. I have never been involved with him, nor have any of my associctes. My joy is watching a true scumbag finally start to get the heat he truely deserves. The world does come round.

Watching his word become less headed and watching him become less repsected/significant here is gonna kill him and his epic ego. Knowing that is enough.

Keep living in nostalgid delusion world.

You fit the profile of one of the "hens that needs plucking".

GC's words, and yeah, you fit.

No accident that none of his soccer buddies have ever wanted to do business with him, even after many, many attmepts.
    They knew him to well.;)

11. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005

12. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, you have just resurrected not one, but two Chinaglia threads for seemingly no good reason. What are we supposed to believe?

13. denver_mugwamp

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Aw come on, guys, let's get to the meat of the matter--have they caught Giorgio yet and if not, how big is the reward? Is there any truth to the rumor that Dog is on his way East and is already learning some Bible verses in Italian?

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it that you didn't go to the Champions World: Manchester United v. Bayern Munich game a couple years ago. I decide not to plunk down a small fortune for tickets, some friends weren't so lucky. I fell asleep at home watching the game, and I hear some fans at the game did too.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah my dad bought tickets for him and I to go to that game, what a waste that was. That game was mind numbingly boring.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree. Closed.