Well, I Tried...

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by 5x300games, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    This morning at about 7:45, the WISN morning show had a call-in segment on the utility of the Bradley Center. I called in and mentioned the trend in sports toward sport-specific stadiums and how the Bradley Center was originally designed with a hockey team in mind. I then tried to insert a little "soccer talk" mentioning the possibility of a downtown soccer stadium.

The sports guy said "There is no way a soccer stadium belongs downtown." I responded that I agreed and that IMO one could be built in the western burbs or the north shore. But, he responded that soccer was not popular enough in the area to warrant a pro team. He said something to the effect of "You'd be lucky to get 12,000 people to watch a Milwaukee soccer team on TV much less have 12,000 attend a game."

Sometimes, I feel like I'm preaching to the perverted on this topic...

2. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until the Bucks move out of Milwaukee and fans flock to MLS Milwaukee in droves. It's a matter of time before these old, ignorant a**holes go to their collective graves. It's not gonna happen over night but it will happen. Until then, I suggest finding another station to listen to.

3. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Sometimes it seems you're lucky to get 12,000 to watch a Brewers game.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Are the bucks possibly leaving town?? (pardon my ig'nance...)

5. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Well, Kansas City has a brand-spanking new arena. (although it looks like the Penguins are going there)

6. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI

7. Shah

Shah New Member

As for the idea of the Bucks moving, let's wait and see. That result would need an impasse over a new arena and that has not started yet. The New Orleans Hornets and Orlando Magic don't have secure futures either. True there are potential open markets (Oklahoma City, Kansas City, St. Louis and Louisville-- if they get their new arena built) but it's much too early to speculate on this seeing that the Bucks lease extends for a few more years. By this point the fate of MLS Milwaukee will already be known.

8. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny Member

Nov 4, 2004
    USA
    I think the Bucks moving talk is just a way to try and scare $ out of the public to build a stadium ala the Brewers. I just cant see the Bucks moving as long as Senator Kohl is the owner, not exactly a way to garner support from the constituents.

5x300, sorry you had to deal with that dope.

9. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    If you've been following this thread, you'd know that's really not the point, here. Try to keep up.

10. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    It wasn't that long ago that the Kansas City - Omaha Kings moved to Sacramento...

11. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Well, I think his response came across as so ascerbic that he actually helped our point. He was as abrasive as the opening announcer in the Nike commercial ("No one in this country cares about soccer.")

12. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    The Brewers averaged 27,296 per game last year...and 25,461 in 2004....and 20,992 in 2003...and 24,310 in 2002...and 34,704 in 2001.

Old stereotypes die hard.

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Exactly. None of the potential NBA suitor cities are exactly ideal canidates.

14. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Interesting....

Moving to respectability sure helps. (*makes note to bring this up to Mike Illitch and Dave Dumbroski*)

15. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI
    Thanks for the hospitality. The stadium belongs downtown.

I'm still waiting for the response on the other thread about why nice weather and high soccer participation in the area is a bad thing.

16. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what you said, so keep up.

17. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It indeed does. Now, you're still going to have a handful of 10,000 crowds every year, especially for the annual April series against Pittsburgh, but by and large the attendance has gone up from where people think it still is.

18. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    I have wasted my time trying to engage in meaningful dialogue with you in the past.

Enjoy the wait.

19. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Go resurrect a dead thread if you want to argue about placement of a stadium. It's not the point of discussion here.

Try to keep up.

20. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be the only one who thinks that and you started the thread. Did you even read what you wrote in the first post?

21. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    The thread is about the media's perception of soccer in Milwaukee. You and Pig seem to be obsessed with my opinion as to where a stadium should be placed.

Now, I'm getting really uncomfortable watching you embarrass yourselves. So try to keep up, or just move along and let the adults talk...

22. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which you played into by going on your no-stadium-downtown rant on the radio. Do not help them by playing into their sterotypes.

Period.

23. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI
    Please, it's "Pyg."

24. sprintjeløy1926

sprintjeløy1926 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Madwaukee
    Well put

25. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I would have to ask why we would engage in argument over where the "potential" stadium should be. Let's let Marty and Peter do their work and get the best site they can. Personally, a downtown stadium would be better than some sanitized suburban site but I would take either one as long as the beer is cold and the soccer is exciting. 'nuff said!