Well, Duh! Obama's Reason for Running? Narcissm.

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Karl K, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm afraid you don't know what you are talking about. I will concede that my initial comment was my own personal opinion and not an absolute truth. Given that admission, I have substance on my side. Tribe's American Constitutional Law is the seminal treatise on constitutional law in this country.

I guarantee you that any lawyer at any firm or in the government who has a constitutional question staring them in the face, will not hesitate to turn there -- usually before other sources. Doesn't matter if those lawyers and judges are liberal, conservative or mauve. I will also guarantee you that conservative judges and lawyers around the country will agree that Tribe is one of THE top constitutional experts alive today -- even if they wouldn't agree that he is the most "brilliant" as I initially opined.

I can't imagine that there is a brilliant mind on any subject that doesn't lean left or right. I'm happy to concede that Scalia is right up near the teeny weeny pinnacle of brilliant constitutional scholars. I don't agree with him on many issues but that doesn't mean I can't recognize his gifts without dismissing him as a partisan hack.

2. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    And if you're liberal and want to prevent opposing views on the supreme court, Tribe's your number one source to get a rationale for narrow-mindedness. Of course, there is no shortage of such things among liberals, so I'm not surprised that you'd find nothing wrong with it in Tribe.

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mpph, mmmph, mmpsmhpmshp, oh excuse me. How did all these words get in my mouth?

The ironic thing is I paraphrased a quote by atheists about religious nuts, and then you respond with a logic-violating screed that doesn't seem to be able to separate the principles of the politician you support with the over-exuberance you people show. God, I hate the internet.

But if you're trolling, well done...

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Wrong. Tribe's treatise on American constitutional law is NOT a liberal tome. I have never heard it described that way. Not by any conservative lawyers that I know. My Con Law professor was very conservative and referenced Tribe many times.

If you are talking about articles he has written or other works intended to be opinion pieces then I won't disagree. But somebody has to tell me how the fact that a person is either liberal or conservative disqualifies that person from being brilliant or a leading authority in a certain area.

Btw, if you read what Tribe has written about the current court and the impending nomination of judges, you would realize that he is not looking to exclude a point of view from the court. To the contrary, he has noted that Roberts, Alito and Thomas are all quite young. So he points to the need for balance on the court and I agree with him.

Frankly, I find it damn near conclusive that the guy is a brilliant constitutional scholar because in 63 days, two of his con law students will hold the positions of President and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. ;) And what do you want to bet that both of those men have a copy of American Constitutional Law within reach from their respective desks.

I've already given my example. Scalia is brilliant. Scalia is conservative. What's the problem? If Scalia wrote a Constitutional Treatise my guess is that it would be an extremely thoughtful and brilliant presentation of the history of constitutional law in this country. If he were to write a law review article on the fourth amendment, I would expect a highly opinionated piece supported quite well.

EDIT -- found this from the time of the Roberts nomination:

Update: Interesting to see the decision that three major networks made in terms of who would analyze the pick. Fox News had their normal political pundits on - Fred Barnes, Mort Kondracke and Bill Kristol; CNN had two members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, one from each party; only MSNBC, of the ones I watched immediately after the announcement, had legal scholars on - Jonathan Turley and Lawrence Tribe. Tribe was quite conciliatory toward Roberts, calling him brilliant, decent and a man of integrity. He did, however, bring up the one decision that really concerns me, which was Roberts' opinion in the Hamdi case where he argued for giving the President virtually unchecked authority in terms of treating American citizens as prisoners of war. That's the one thing I've read from Roberts that really raises a red flag for me, but I haven't read the full decision.

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2005/07/justice_john_ro_1.html

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    How about the one where Tribe observed that Roberts only managed an A- in Tribe's class?

He's probably great when it's an issue that doesn't involve his prejudices.

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I should have used a sock though. You're the only one who bit.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually being that you're a regular in the PC&E made it much easier to believe, because it Liberal Larry quality would have been obvious without that identification. Plus, I've read those kinds of arguments before, it wasn't out of the realm of possibility...