Welcome to the Ottawa MLS Expansion forum!

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by SoccerPrime, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    There is unrest in the forest
    There is trouble with the trees
    For Ottawa wants more sunlight
    And Toronto ignores its pleas

The trouble with Ottawa
    (And it's quite convinced it's right)
    They say Toronto are just too lofty
    And it grabs up all the light
    But Toronto can't help its feelings
    If it likes the way it's made
    And it wonders why Ottawa
    Can't be happy in its shade

Now I finally know what that song is about. :D

You're welcome.

2. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is classic!

3. Clonester

Clonester New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've lived in both Toronto and Ottawa and I've never really understood the inferiority complex of Ottawa. I know WHY, but it doesn't do any good for anyone in Ottawa. They are both cities with some great qualities. All someone in Ottawa can do is make Ottawa the best they can.

4. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Is there a tune to go with that? :confused:

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The real version is a Rush song - The Trees

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHEcIbhDiw"]YouTube - Rush - The Trees[/ame]

6. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    DAMN! A Rush deep cut! I should have known better!

7. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is another poll in progress on the location of Ottawa's new stadium. Please vote for Kanata if you want MLS in Ottawa:

http://www.cfra.com/

8. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Clonester

Clonester New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow, that's interesting. The Ottawa bid keeps looking better as time passes. Money talks.

11. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

The perfect storm (ownership, stadium plan, weak US economy, federal infrastructure money and Montreal low-balling their MLS bid) just got more perfect. I had almost believed the hype that Ottawa were fighting for one spot alongside Miami, but now there may be two again.

If only we could persuade the council that a quick decision in favour of MLS in Kanata is the best way to go...

12. Clonester

Clonester New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now TFC has DeRo and Serioux. Hope they save some good Canadian talent for us!

13. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a specific date, when the CFL/MLS stadium issue will be decided or voted on?

14. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think it is April 20th-ish. But given Ottawa City Council, I am sure they will just vote to hold more studies or consultations.

15. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dates are as follows:

March 11: Council will deal with the list of all possible sites for a stadium across the city.

March 25: Business models from Lansdowne Live and the Melnyk group will be presented to council.

April 11: A joint meeting of corporated services and economical development committees will hear public comment. No doubt everyone from Glebeites to Kanatans, sports fans to retailers, will come rushing forward.

April 22: Full council decision day at which, Hume suggests, we taxpayers will find out if the vote goes to Lansdowne Live or Melnyk

16. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't MLS planning to make an annoucement before then? Last I heard, the announcement was coming in mid-March.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Here is some audio from Jan 27, 2009: http://www.bringtheworldtoottawa.ca/audio/090127_Garber_TEAM.mp3

18. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So based on that, the new "deadline" for the annoucement is April 19th? They are really dragging this out. Especially in this economy, doesn't MLS realize that they need to give teams all the time possible to be ready and get the government funds/approvals needed?

19. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Ottawa city council has been very politicaly astute so far! They know that 45% of the people want MLS, 45% want CFL, 10% want neither, and they won't be able to have both MLS & CFL in two distinct stadiums and the two groups won't work together on the stadium issue. So whatever decision they make, a majority of people will be against them (45% of the other sport + 10% of neither).

So by delaying the decision, they are hoping one of them will drop out. Both MLS & CFL set a march deadline, the council will vote in April. They are hoping one of them will drop out. Ottawa City council is facing two issues, 1- it has to deal with Lansdowne no matter what, 2- Soccer is a growing sport (professionaly) in Canada. I believe that at this time there would be more support (read: paid customers) for the CFL over MLS in Ottawa. But the Soccer side is growing fast. Football however is exploding in nearby Quebec. I think if MLS announces a *conditional* franchise for Ottawa, that city council will cave in and go with MLS in Kanata. If however MLS decides that Ottawa is a gamble due to the insecurity around the stadium and picks two other cities, city council will go ahead with Lansdowne+CFL and wash their hands of any blame saying that it's not their fault MLS did not pick Ottawa.

As anything with citi council, the political side is always the most important. If you have to do something stupid to help your reelection, you will do it.