Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is an absolutely mindblowing bit of business! All this transfer window we've been bemoaning Arsenal's lack of marketability to truly world class players and our transfer ineptitude. Then BAM! One of the truly very best in the world will be wearing an Arsenal shirt and he's only 24 so he'll slot right in to our young core that could be absolutely monstrous in the next few years. I don't even know how to express how giddy I am, can't wait til the next round of matches.

This is the first time we've done something this big, at least in a long while. Fellow Gunners, this could be the start of something special. We still have a ways to go to reach the heights we once had but this is most definitely a step in the right direction.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congratulations again. Didn't think Arsenal had it in them. Özil should complete Arsenal's attacking quartet and bring a lot to the table for them. I'll be watching more Arsenal matches in the future. :)

3. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We're [almost] always glad to have more people watching and contributing to game day threads :D

Senator repped this.
  4. Senator

Senator Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  5. The English Hacker

Aug 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welcome Mesut. Certainly feeling a lot more positive now. I really think we can compete, provided we don't have too many injuries.

6. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delighted to have Mesut at our club. I could not be happier with this signing.

So with Özil joining our club, is it too early to debate where our midfield ranks amongst the best in Europe?

Here's my Top 5 after today's transfer close
    1. Bayern Munich
    2. Dortmund
    3. Farcelona
    4. THE Arsenal
    5. Chelski

7. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Online shop has Ozil kit available already.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he take #11?

Edit: He did. No umlats on the shirt though. :(

9. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Great signing , very glad to have Mesut in the league .

10. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Exactly. I saw so many tweets of people shocked that a) we would dare make that move b) that Ozil would actually decide on coming here. We all know our club's image has suffered recently, The perception from the continental press, fans and players that we were no longer an elite destination and somewhat of a joke club, may now change - and I believe it will, but we must continue to build on this.

DaPrince84 and maskito repped this.
  11. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I'm so incredibly happy with this signing. Theo and Giroud are going to kill it this year.

13. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Giroud was already going to have a great year, now the sky is the limit for him.

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Walcott will potentially benefit the most from Ozil's arrival. I can imagine a bunch of through balls coming his way in the near future.

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  15. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think so as well, mate. Giroud actually gets a lot of service. From Theo, from Cazorla and from Ramsey. I honestly believe he would have had a great year regardless like Boogie said. However, I can't say that much for Theo. Sadly, his pace is the reason for that. More times than Theo is give shit service, at least in my opinion. He's usually given 35 yard balls that he has to chance down and if he's lucky the keeper was off his line in time. Against Spurs he was brilliant but not because of other players service to him. Now Ozil is going to be putting split/through balls to Theo like Ramsey has been doing lately and that should add on an extra 5-10 goals for him.

16. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be an absolute joy to watch. I cannot wait until Sept 14.

17. Jagbir

Jagbir Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Depressed as f***. I wish him the best. Hope you make the most out of him.

Chinky24 repped this.
  18. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only rvp had waited a year. Him, Caz and Ozil would be tremendous.

mwojt21 and LAgooner05 repped this.
  19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting so long for this day. When they built the new stadium they told us that one day we would compete for players with the top teams in the world. Today it came true.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    and don't forget, an added bonus next summer is the increased tv deal money. i suspect the big continental spenders might face some competition.

21. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I feel the same way, I can't even imagine how amazing that would've been. But, it's now time to support Giroud, I know he has it in him to become and elite ST.

22. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Grats gooners.. Best transfer of the summer IMO...

Your firepower just doubled with ozil there...

23. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WSS is claiming that his shirt will be OZIL rather than ÖZIL. Not a big deal, but i'd rather hold off on getting a shirt until it's for sure. I see Rosicky doesn't have them. Is this just a prem/Arsenal thing and i'm good to order?

24. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Check out Arseblog. Lots of daily coverage, great site. Mobile aps available too, I read their stuff daily.

Crisstti and Goetzil10 repped this.
  25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Welcome Mesut...now I gotta figure out how to type an umlaut I guess, or can I call you Ozzie?

Just watched a compilation of his work at Madrid....wow, you guys got some stupid Fcuks running that ship over there to let him go. CR is sure to have 10 fewer goals this season for sure. Also, it seems he did a lot of work on the right...I wonder if AW sees him as playing on the right some when Theo or Giroud is out?

Theo and Giroud will each have 25+ goals this year no doubt...if Jack, Santi and Ramsey decide to make runs in the box they will easily bag a bunch too. Good day to be a gooner! Thanks Arsene for the late Christmas gift, now these ass hats at FIFA won't let me play with my new toy for two weeks.

Crisstti and Chinky24 repped this.