Welcome Marco Asensio

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by halamadrid00, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Di Maria role? You mean the LCM position? Kroos' position?

2. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    he is everywhere. it will be not good to keep on the bench.. quite sad to say, but he must go on loan.

3. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we could somehow convince Ronaldo that he should take more breaks and be subbed more often, Asensio should get those minutes. It would benefit both of the players and the club.

4. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Left footed Isco. I hope he stays, but at least one of him, James and Jese must go, if not two.

People keep mentioning in this thing that Ronaldo will take more breaks and be subbed more often, but I don't see how that could happen to be honest when he's still consumed by the personal battle with Messi.

9Qui repped this.
  5. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If Asensio can be as good in the defensive side, Kroos can be our DLP with Asensio as our LCM
    (Alternative to the first line up of Casemiro Modric Kroos )

6. RomanMadrid

RomanMadrid Member+

Jan 13, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Asensio is fast, knows when to pass, superb off-the-ball movement and can still beef up. Hmm, he reminds me of Isco but faster and with faster passing.

7. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Asensio should really be kept, quality player to have on the bench. He'll be starting at the club in 2 years, supreme talent!

8. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think that would be good. He's a hard working player but he doesn't have the Noodle's stamina. Di Maria was a little special in that regard, he really could run. I think Asensio's best position is WF or winger, not #10 or further back (Di Maria's LCM spot).

Saeta Rubia and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  9. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'm not sure since i haven't followed him. May be he does have the stamina needed.
    His technique, pace and agility is brilliant for linking the midfield to BBC.

10. Phenom9

Phenom9 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This kid is special imo...

11. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I didn't see as much from him in the Chelsea match. It actually made me worry about how he'll cope with more physical opposition.

Digital repped this.
  12. Phenom9

Phenom9 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Im sure Pepe can teach him a few things.

13. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    He had major role in both Marcelo goals.
    They clicked pretty well

RomanMadrid and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  14. Doddu

Doddu Member

Jun 3, 2016
    I really hope he develop his weak foot . The Di Maria comparison comes from the both of their inability to use their right foot imo... That's what make him look like Di Maria, not exactly playing style.

I also remember Jose Angel Sanchez interview in which he said Asensio need to improve his weaker foot .

15. Doddu

Doddu Member

Jun 3, 2016
    James biggest problem is also his inability to use his weaker foot. Such players need to take too much touches in many situations. His dad publically called him out to improve his weak foot .

J-Mezzy and natenate101 repped this.
  16. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odegaard seems to be in the same boat.

17. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think his biggest problem though is his size. His technique is excellent, but it's hard to use it when you weigh 120 lbs and can be knocked over by a strong gust of wind. I know he wants to play with the big boys, but he needs to be patient because of his age - he'll grow out of his boy body eventually.

18. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He is still so young. His future is still very uncertain but he is certainly poised on the ball.

19. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Asensio is only 20 years old, so he has plenty of time to develop his frame and weaker foot. If we develop him correctly then he's going to be a star for us. :inlove:

Anon. repped this.
  20. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We generally only notice the weaker foot on left footers.They could do to improve, any footballer should always improve their weaker foot. But I feel that having left footed attackers, especially creative players is so important, because they change the angles of passing, and the overall flow of play. Guti was a great example of this, but Di Maria did it too. It's great to have these young left footers coming through.

sleepyvato50 and natenate101 repped this.
  21. alpakaxaxa

alpakaxaxa New Member

Sep 14, 2015
    Those guys highlighting the weak foot of Asensio didn't follow him enough obviously. His accuracy and confidence with his right foot is amazing especially for a left footer...
    A player like Asensio, who is oriented towards the center and left footed, shouldn't play on the left wing. On the right side his ability to penetrate the enemy formation with dribblings and passes would be much better.

5:10 min

3:47 min

Modric also rarely uses his left foot because he is able to solve nearly every action perfectly with his right foot. However, if need be, his consistency with his left foot is outstanding. I'm not saying Asensio is equally adept with his weaker foot than Modric but he certainly is above average.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  22. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Apparently, a lot of research shows lefties are much more creative than righties. I don't remember where/when I read this, but it kind of shows in world football. Messi, Robben, Di Maria are probably 3 of the 5 top dribbler in the world. Now it might seem that its 50/50, 3-2 isn't much of a gap. But when you consider 70-80% of the world is right handed, I think it says a lot. Random and off topic, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

23. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can appreciate your comments, but those clips don't show is much. They are both decent passes but anyone out playing should be able to do both pretty well. Many players are crazy one-footed and he seems like he has an excellent left, but it's about predictability. Can he switch it up enough to give defenders pause and not focus solely on his left? Can he make them guess from time to time to keep them honest? To me that's where someone like James suffers in his game. Without pace, being crazy one-footed is hard to pull off long term.

s1Nclair and J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. alpakaxaxa

alpakaxaxa New Member

Sep 14, 2015
    In the first vid he is being pressured from behind and he could've played the simple pass to the right back. In this situation the enemy team switched to the left side in order to establish a compact horizontal structure. With his "throughball", while being pressured, he allows his centerback to shift the game on the right side in a fast manner. By playing this sophisticated pass he wins a lot of space for his team. Unfortunately, he was fouled and the referee didn't recognize the advantage of Espanyol in this situation.

As I already said, Asensio uses his right foot naturally and he is even able to perform demanding action with a high success rate.

All in all, being two footed is an extremely overrated quality, especially on this forum. If your versatile and intelligent you are very rarely in the need of being two footed, Messi is the best example. In this forum, I often read that Bale should improve his crossing with his right foot and that would make him a better player. First of all, his crosses with right are already perfectly fine. Many people obviously don't know what an underwhelming success rate is associated with crosses in terms of chances created and goals scored. Secondly, Bale shouldn't even be in this kind of situations frequently. If Bale needs to cross frequently with his right foot on the right wing what is the underlying problem? The problem is the lack of a proper offensive structure that makes it very easy for the enemy team to isolate Bale.

Being one-footed is an issue when the decision making suffers. Here's a recent example of Marcos Llorente:

His first action is obviously a bad decision. Llorente shows a lack of 'passing empathy' by playing a very uncomfortable pass to his rightback. Uncomfortable, because the enemy players are immediatly able to press the right back. Instead, he should've passed the ball to the left centreback. He could've played this pass with his left foot or even with the outside of his right foot. However, the foot preference also shapes the vision for the game and this caused Llorente to make a bad decision.
    Marcos Llorente is awesome by the way, it should just be an example of a bad decision that is probably associated with his foot preference. If suboptimal decisions like these were common then I would talk about an important area of improvement.
    And this is definitely not the case with Asensio. So why are we talking about foot preference again?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm sure no one wants to discuss the one footedness ( my word) of super Gareth, that would be blasphemy no doubt, but just like Asensio, Modric, ADM, and the others, he also needs to work on that right foot instead of just standing on it, rare occurance to see him use that foot, yeah yeah yeah I'm biased, whatever, still true, they all need to practice and be more like Ronaldo, as two footed as they come, not Modric really, he is just all round quality regardless