Goodbye Jose Mourinho - Make Portugal Silent Again

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Henchag, May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    How are roma going to support his ambition under FFP regulations ? There isn't many quality free players out there.

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ UCL qualification.

3. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    Shen-O, SF19, shiboboo and 3 others repped this.
  4. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on Mou. Third season is when he usually gets fired so setting himself up for a nice pay day.

Shen-O, wm72, Indian_Gladiator and 3 others repped this.
  5. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's good to see the management's faith in Mourinho.

Realistically speaking he's the best we could hope for - a very competent coach looking to prove himself and in need of a slow-burning project. Even if he underperforms, we won't be worse off compared to hiring anyone else in his place, so it's a win/win situation for everyone.

Midfield General repped this.
  6. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    indestructible repped this.
  7. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn’t like Mourinho from his Inter antics when we hired him but I’ve come around. He’s certainly charismatic, entertaining and a born leader. He also seems to hungry to show doubters he can win with a club like Roma who can’t just “out-buy” the opposition. He’s also attracted some fantastic talent like Dybala.

I’m really still just not sure about his actual football.

We kept our core intact. We added Dybala (Thanks to Mourinho and who’s wonder goals are the only thing really keeping us from being in complete tailspin.)

We added Matic to address what so many said was “the DM that will make it all come together”.

Yet, the midfield actually doesn’t even look as good as it did at points last season. Defensive errors, huge gaps between the lines, trouble playing forward passes to start counter attacks when we are supposedly a counter attacking team. Cristante is still being forced into a deep defensive role with tons of space to cover that highlights all of his weaknesses. Pellegrini has been a big defensive liability when played deeper in the midfield two.

In attack, Abraham looks completely lost.

Even though Rui Patricio has been awful the CBs have been EXCELLENT but our issues in midfield and getting out on effective counters are the same or even more worse considering the amount that Dybala has done almost single handed.

100% Credit to Mourinho for the big signings, for the development in the centerbacks and mainly for the excitement in the city around the club.

But, man, when I look at Napoli, Atalanta et al and see them clicking despite as much (or more) roster turnover as we’ve had and even missing some key players to injury it doesn’t make me feel like anyone at the club, players nor Mourinho, needs a pat on the back right now.

I do think we could all of the sudden see massive improvement. However, I’m not certain of it either since I thought the exact 11 players that we’ve started recently should already be doing much better.

I’d still renew Mourinho. Above all, I think Roma needs his big personality. However, again, I’m not yet convinced about his football unless we can sign 3 more Dybala level players and simply “out talent” the opposition in attack.

Salmeen10, Haakon24 and shiboboo repped this.
  8. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    #433 windrepel, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    yeah Pep guardiola spend 100M minimum per transfer window and it's all down to his coaching right ? definitely not him out-talent his opposition

i don't want Mourinho to renew at Roma

there are oil club like newcastle who will be ready to have coach like him in 2024, it's time for him to get a club with unlimited fund and get his revenge in EPL. Struggling at mediocre club with entitled fanbase under FFP regulation is no fun, i have feelings Roma fanbase will immediately turn on him when something goes wrong, i mean just read your post, there are already a tendency to distrust mourinho instead of blaming the cheap squad he has, some of you guys took him for granted when you should be having human sacrifice to show gratefulness of him choosing your club

Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013

I heard John Terry cried like a baby when he found out Jose left Chelsea the first time. Dude pissed on Americans the day after 9/11, but balled his eyes out in a fetal position over this man.

10. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    How the fcuk are Roma fans entitled? Are you fcuking retarded? Go look at the fans in the stadium now compared to before Mourinho. The fans love him. Roma fans in Italy are in love with Mourinho. Go fcuk yourself.

Shen-O repped this.
  11. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    italian fans maybe, but i dont' see the same amount of faith and support from international fans

when Pep came at city , he won fck all, their fans screaming to the board to back him
    not a single soul doubting him
    when klopp came at liverpool , he won fck all till his 4th season
    their fans screaming to the board to back him , not a single soul wanted him sack

and then here at roma, after mourinho help the club to end their 14 years trophy drought you still have bullshit questioning here and there

12. Indian_Gladiator

Sep 4, 2014
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    With this squad,Roma could have easily been at top of the table and play some attractive football. I wonder what Rudi,Fonseca or Spalletti have done if they get this exciting squad! We could have scored tons of goals with one of the dangerous attacks in serie a.

13. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am as entitled as a hell.

I fully, 100% EXPECT that we begin to improve on 6th place in the league--no crying, no excuses -- since our cheap squad has, on average, been better than that for the past 20 years with cheap managers as well.

Shen-O repped this.
  14. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    #439 windrepel, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    The difference between roma and some of other club i mentioned is.
    Their entitlement is for the club and the board to fully back the manager, blow their budget to get better players for the manager
    They don't demand or expect it from the manager
    If shit happens
    Blame the board
    Blame the players
    Blaming the manager is out of questions
    that's how much faith they have for the manager
    Mourinho deserve the same amount of faith, if he didn't get it here he should just go to oil club and outspent + out talent everyone

15. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought you said Roma has FFP problems. If so, it seems like maybe they are "blowing the budget"

And by the way, no one here is saying Roma should be beating Real Madrid, PSG and Man City. So you're comparisons to those type mega-money clubs is absurd.

Some of us are just entitled enough to believe we shouldn't be looking up at Atalanta, Napoli and even ********ing Lazio. Entitled enough to think we could perhaps be playing as well as Udinese.

Those are certainly not clubs where the owners are spending as much as Roma for their managers.

16. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    then sack mourinho and hire atalanta, napoli or lazio manager ? i am pretty sure mourinho is happy enough to receive his severance fee and then go to replace ancelotti at real madrid or an oil club like newcastle, if you want a good football , then maybe you can just rehire fonseca

17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #442 La Magica, Oct 6, 2022
    I dont remember one person on this forum saying Matric would be guy to make everything click. He is a nice squad player and stopgap for now. He certainly wont be that guy alongside Cristante. The direction in that area of recruitment shifted when a player of Dybala's quality came in due to funds. If we didnt see injuries Pellegrini might by now be bedded in the cm role. Of course, he is still going to have to learn the role which only comes with game time, which will lead to mistakes. Out of all this team building process, play will be smoother. All this tells me this team is not close to what it can be and I expect to see continuing improved performances. This year is very open and Jose can keep them on track mentally. Jose has given Roma focus and aim.

The likes of Atalanta are not what they were and I dont know if they can keep up this as they have stolen the last 2 wins. Roma finishing cost them a comfortable 3-1 win against their bunker attempt. Fiorentina the same Its not like they are shutting teams one with this style. They're just getting the look of the game in this moment. I dont think they can continue to play this way and win constantly. They will go back to their own style but I dont think they are the team they were with Papu or Ilicic anymore when playing this dominant way. The table is very tight and Roma's right there so far. Not the moment to be worrying about the position in the league

Nainggolan and Midfield General repped this.
  18. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree that it would be surprising to see Atalanta keep a pace like this without some dry spells (or Napoli for that matter and Udinese extremely doubtful). That they've gotten off to blistering starts with lots of summer roster change and some key injuries is noteworthy.

I was actually more optimistic after the Atalanta match since we probably played our best all-around match of the season against them. Ironically they just "Mourinho'd" us -- defended deep, fouled, chopped up play and had the mindset for quality in the moment that mattered -- to get the 0-1 result. I'm more prone to tip my cap to them for that.

About Matic, I've read this sentiment here over and over. To simplify:

1. Mourinho has everything improving but lacks defensive midfield quality that will bring it all together
    2. Matic is a huge upgrade in midfield quality when he can play

Just these two points -- since Matic has been a very pleasant surprise in terms of fitness and availability -- should make it reasonable to think the midfield would not look even more problematic so far.

Things like the pressing in unison so that there's not a hug gap between midfield and the CBs, shifting in defense to cover danger and having any type of cohesive movements to play off each other to start counters still hold us back.

Again not the end of the world as there is still a lot of midfield tinkering on the horizon but certainly still a big ass question mark!

If the midfield clicks at least a little bit at some point we can certainly improve quickly as long as our goalkeeper moves out of dead last in Serie A in expected saves and our #9 does not lead the league in missed big chances.

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    But its not thats that simple. You're not reading the context of what happened in this market to reach this conclusion. Midfield is a problem, still is now and was last season and what was needed was a top class controller. I have said that many times. I am aware however there are many ways to build a football team and make it work. The exicitng and complex thing about football is there are 100s of combinations. That was the most obvious and straightforward one. But it was a playmaker type alongside a runner such as Veretout that would have worked. That would have been reasonably sound defensively as well as allowing the team to better control the game. I believe that would have still been on the agenda but things took a big change when Dybala became available and Roma didnt pass up on the best signing in quality since Batigol.

That means a reshuffling of the deck and with money tight they couldn't splash the cash on a truly top player here so we get to see Pellegrini who btw I have been saying can be better suited to CM with his passing skillset for about 4 years now. Now this combo of Pellegrini as a creator alongside a more pure DM like Matic or to a lesser extent Wijnaldum is another combination that can work. Its just a fact becasue of injuries Pellegrini got shoved back up top. He hasnt got the chance to play and learn the new role. We're still waiting for that but fingers crossed thats coming very soon now. Is Tammy an issue, hes not playing great but then its not easy either as the focal point has shifted off him and onto Dybala. Things will get less complex here when both Dybala and Pellegrini stay out of each others way on the pitch.

There seems to be a bit of confusion between him and Dybala about who controls the game in the final 3rd. The answer is obvious but one being captain complicates the matter. Both have crucial roles but it needs to be in different areas of the pitch for the better of the whole team. When this gets sorted and I believe it does this season, I think Tammy starts to get better chances created for him. Still, he does need to keep his head and finish easy chances.

Atalanta did try Jose tactics and they got the results but Jose tactics do truly shut down opponents. Remember last year when Napoli came. Everyone assumed high scoring Napoli would roll them over. He tactically shut down every attack. they had nothing and but for Tammy missing an easy 1v1 and a Mancini header it was a classic Jose win. Thats not what Atalanta are doing right now. Teams are creating a huge number of good chances against them and they are riding their luck. The experiment Gasperini is trying right now would have ended very quickly had they taken what they deserved from the past 2 games - 0 points. With that said, they can improve playing this tactic ain the same way I expect Roma to improve but if they keep shipping chances and dont improve here, I dont see how its possible they keep the current form up.

20. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #445 wm72, Oct 6, 2022
    I agree with pretty much everything you posted. The mercato seemed pretty smart even if it's discouraging watching a number of midfielders playing for smaller Serie A teams that could help us a lot, some that just came to them this summer for peanuts.

I agree 100% that Dybala and Pellegrini get in each other's space/way with the way. But it's kind of the manager's job to figure out tactics to make it work. I also think Pellegrini could be excellent as a deeper mid. However I also don't think he's a great fit for this type 2 man midfield where he's responsible for so much defensive space.
    (The 2 man midfield does no favors for Cristante or Matic either, to be frank though it may help a little if Mourinho told them to stop dropping to form a back 6 or 7 and cover the damn top of the box).

The basis of my criticism is not of how the market played out due to signing Dybala -- which I 1000% support -- but since we did sign Dybala how we are tactically setting up to win with the players we have chosen!

21. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    If Jose leaves Roma, you will shocked the amount of money that will be available for the new coach to buy players.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #447 falvo, Oct 6, 2022
    I looked it up and saw Joaquín played for Valencia, Málaga and Fiorentina. I don’t think he ever played for Jose Mourinho.

Does anyone know why he gave him a hug when he came off the field?

Just curious because unless he knew or played for him, I don't think I've ever seen an opposing player hug another teams coach.….

23. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    The idea was to play pellegrini with gini/matic midfield , not sure whose fault it was that caused gini leg to be broken during training , it ruined the whole plan

24. giallorosso86

giallorosso86 Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Must be out of respect. Joaquin is 40 year-old and he was superb for on the pitch for 70+ mins. I'd take him over Shitstante for sure.

Nainggolan and La Magica repped this.
  25. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Superb? He did nothing out of the ordinary to make him stand out. I respect him as a player but he was far from superb last night. Let’s be honest here - we would take anyone over that waste of a shirt.