Welcome Detroit fans!

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 10, 2009.

1. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    This sub-forum was created just two months ago. You're timing is impeccable. :D

Hope you check this out.

2. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Woohoo, the fond memories of going to many Express matches makes me hope it all happens so I can go to some matches when I go back to visit my relatives still back in Michigan.:)

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you like the indoor game, the Waza start their home season on Sunday. They are 1-2 after three road matches.

Sat, Nov 13, Ohio Vortex [11-10] Detroit Waza
    Fri, Nov 19, Louisville Lightning [4-6] Detroit Waza
    Sat, Nov 20, Cincinnati Kings [10-3] Detroit Waza
    Sun, Dec 5, 4:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Cincinnati Kings, Taylor Sportsplex
    Sat, Dec 11, 6:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Ohio Vortex, Taylor Sportsplex
    Sat, Dec 18, 6:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] (US Open), Taylor Sportsplex
    Sun, Dec 19, 2:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Illinois Piasa, Taylor Sportsplex
    Fri, Jan 8, 7:00 PM, Ohio Vortex [v] Detroit Waza, Canton Civic Center
    Thu, Jan 14, 7:35 PM, Cincinnati Kings [v] Detroit Waza, Cincinnati Gardens
    Fri, Jan 15, 6:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Louisville Lightning, Taylor Sportsplex
    Sat, Jan 23, 2:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Winnipeg Alliance, Taylor Sportsplex
    Thu, Feb 4, 8:00 PM, Louisville Lightning [v] Detroit Waza, Mockingbird Valley Sports Complex
    Fri, Feb 12, 6:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Louisville Lightning, Taylor Sportsplex
    Fri, Feb 19, 6:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Ohio Vortex, Taylor Sportsplex
    Fri, Feb 26, 6:30 PM, Detroit Waza [v] Cincinnati Kings, Taylor Sportsplex
    Sat, Mar 6, 2:00 PM, Winnipeg Alliance [v] Detroit Waza
    Sat, Mar 6, 7:00 PM, Winnipeg Alliance [v] Detroit Waza

4. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    what the heck is a waza?:p

5. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    waza... you know, for Detroit's massive Chinese community... :rolleyes:

7. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean you're not going to visit our MLive.com Detroit Waza section? ;) Since the www.mlive.com/soccer page isn't exactly blowing up with traffic yet, maybe wall-to-wall (pun intended) Waza coverage is the answer?

Not to be confused with the Philadelphia convenience store chain called "Wawa"

The Kixx are on hiatus ... maybe rename them the Wawa ... then we've got Philadelphia Wawa vs. Detroit Waza ... it's got heated indoor soccer rivalry written all over it.

8. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    WOW I like this I never even knew this existed. You should promote it more! I will follow it.

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better yet, put the Waza coverage on the hockey page, since they're as much hockey as soccer.

And yes, that's what it means. :p

Would this be the lead announcer?

[​IMG]

"Time fow Phiwwadeophia to waise the woof! He weawwy wipped that fwee kick aw the way fwom midfeod!"

10. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. dima59

dima59 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
  12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should re-name it UNIVERSITY OF Michigan soccer news. You'd think they were the only program in the State by that site.

13. dima59

dima59 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
    No relationship to U of M . Trying to cover all soccer news in Michigan .
    Any idea how to improve the site just let me know.

14. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dima59

dima59 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
    thank you .
    I will make sure to cover this games

16. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting a website to cover soccer in Michigan is really tough to do as a one-man band (I know ... www.mlive.com/soccer), so hopefully you have some help. Good luck with that.

I've been asking for people to help out on MLive for over a year, but I think soccer people are waiting for the MLS Detroit announcement before they come out of the woodwork (SEE: Toronto FC, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers fans).

I'm sure we'll have a lot of... "I just bought my season tickets to the MLS team at the Silverdome ... but who are these Michigan Bucks that people keep talking about?"

17. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Being serious, who are the Michigan Bucks? I grew up in Michigan up till I graduated and left there in late 1995. Most relatives still live back there but it is hard to keep up with everything and anything.

18. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Michigan Bucks are a USL team with a development agreement with the Columbus Crew.

They play at Ultimate Soccer Arenas in Pontiac

They also occasionally play their US Open Cup matches at places like Berkley High School. I saw them play the Crew there once.

19. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bucks have played in the Premier Development League since 1997. The PDL is the 4th level of US Soccer, and is a league that college players can play in during the summer while maintaining their college eligibility. So the players don't get paid.

The Bucks were originally based in Saginaw and called the "Mid-Michigan Bucks" but they moved to the Detroit area and dropped the "Mid"

For the longest time the Bucks were kind of the Atlanta Braves of the PDL, winning division titles, one of the winningist teams in North America, but they never won a championship. They finally won a championship in

But their greatest claim to fame is their history in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. They have more upsets of professional teams than any amateur team in the history of the tournament (7). Their biggest moment was in 2000 when they traveled to Foxboro Stadium and beat the New England Revolution of Major League Soccer 1-0. http://thecup.us/2000-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-bracket/

Here's just about everything you need to know here: http://www.buckssoccer.com/AboutUs/index_E.html

20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I would love see Detroit in NASL and do it the way Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and Montreal did it, or Straight to MLS if they do it like Philadelphia did it, (like the sons of ben)

21. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, Josh. I have enough just to keep my calendar updated (as I posted a couple of pages ago: https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...roup.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York )

I had wanted to create a soccer TV show when I volunteered with the public access channel, but that would have been a large amount of work, if done solely on my own. In the end, I didn't even get up to the prep work on that.

My whole concept of the calendar is that I would often find out about an event after it occurred, when it got covered in a newspaper. I had wanted to eliminate the "wish I had known about that beforehand" aspect. (And, yes, as a Google calendar, it could be embedded into a web site, so any of you can just reference it, if you like.)

Point is, Dima, you can end up doing too much too quickly. Start with something small enough (the "do one thing, do it well" concept). Also, decide at what level becomes your "cut point:" the college/Bucks level, high school level, amateur (adult) club teams, elite youth teams, ...?

22. dima59

dima59 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
    Great website. I have an impression that we met together
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL13WFj5zOw"]YouTube - Future of The Silverdome[/ame]

23. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lights at Oakland U Stadium (?)

Oakland has started a campaign to get lights installed at their field: http://www.ougrizzlies.com/ot/lights-grizzlies-action.html

Some Q's:

Could this just be a way to get American football at OU? With lights, they would probably also put "real" stands on the grass berm, maybe enclose it on 3 or 4 sides, and have a real solid small-college FB field. (The article does say it is the "first stage" of stadium development.... what are the later stages?)

If it is soccer-only, why go through this when you have a first-class facility only a couple miles away? OU does draw very well (both Men's and Women's) at the Ult, so the prospect of averaging a thousand a game (and keeping the concessions, etc), does seem compelling.

24. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women's League teams in Michigan

The "Women's League Soccer," which seems like a break-off of the USL W-League's midwest teams, appears to have added a "Division 2" with mostly Michigan teams. (And, yes, until last month, this league was calling itself "WMLS" but seemingly the Big Boys got them to change the name.)

http://www.womensleaguesoccer.com/

No, don't know the difference between "Elite" division and "D2." Also, don't know what team "Westfield" is.

25. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Women's League teams in Michigan

I'm as pro-women's soccer as they come. But if the WPS is having a tough time, and the W-League seems like it's usual reasonably consistent self. I'm a little concerned about the prospects of a lower division league.