Welcome Dan Stratford

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jade1mls, Feb 16, 2008.

1. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Sounds like a "good lad", welcome aboard!

2. Kosh

Kosh "We are all Kosh"

Aug 1, 2006
    Harrisburg, PA
    Welcome, Dan.

3. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Dyachenko is feeling nervous.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Why would he? Stratford's a d-mid. D'ko is an a-mid/forward. They're not really competing for the same back-up position.

5. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because Stratford is showing signs of being a capable distributor of the ball, and we've already read reports of his putting balls into space to spark attacks. If he continues to play with composure, who knows where he'll end up? Very few players are locked into a position. Remember the year-long experiment with Nelsen as d-mid.

6. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, well with this signing, we are out of "foreign" spots, right? (I'm assuming Dyachenko makes the team...) I realize you can now trade foreign spots with other teams, which is something we might need to do if we want to use the extra DP spot on a prominent foreign player (not saying that will happen, but if DCU wanted to do so).

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nelsen's time at dmid didn't last all that long, and I think he was playing defense by the end of that season, and Namoff had moved into the dmid role.

I just hope that Stratford lasts longer than any of the other Brits to pull on the United shirt.

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I thought Dyachenko had a green card.

9. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Wasn't Nelsen an all-Amercan defensive midfielder as a senior at Stanford?
    I'd say the extended and ongoing experiment of playing him at center back is showing some promise. :D

10. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, he has potential, and has shown he's one to watch. :)

My point was that not every player should be pigeonholed into a particular slot on the field. Another great example was Chris Albright, who failed miserably at the pro level as a striker, but became a top-level right fullback.

11. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC still has an open International spot (7 of 8 taken)
    1. Gallardo
    2. Emilio
    3. Fred
    4. Martinez
    5. Peralta
    6. Niell
    7. Stratford
    8. Open

DC probably leads the league in players with green cards (Moreno, Dyachenko, Kpene, Carvallo, Monteiro) as they count as domestic-based players.

12. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. We need more depth at midfield

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked his attitude about being drafted by United and how much he wanted to come here - seems like a keeper to me.

14. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmmm... i like the sound of playing this guy. All time assist's record, seems like he must be good a chip's and through balls, but i want to know if we can maybe convert him to play right wing? If he;s good at passes and assists, i can almost garuntee that he can knock them from the corners as crosses. Hopefully we can convert this kid to play on the right flank as Benny rest's and heals.

15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Welcome Open - Is this guy any good? - Can he score at all?

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I had forgotten the coincidence of WVU connections with McTavish and Carroll - I think this guy will be more instrumental than either Arguez or Jacobson woulda been this season - Calm on the ball and a great distributor - Except for unknown speed, I don't think he'll be that much out of position if we try him at Right Midfield - (Olsen doesn't have SPEED anymore but he does have hustle and experience to make up for that) - Normally we've put leftover forwards or defenders out there, and they are terribly out of position and look completely lost - But I think Stratford has the overall field experience to do well out there given a few chances

Also, young players in England may want to take note of Stratford's progress here - Kids who go into the academies but don't make the transition just get dumped and end up with little if any education to show for it - At least here in America, you end up with a college degree - The problem is that means a 4-yr commitment to a plan - Question: Does Project 40 still exist, and could it apply to foreigners?

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Project 40 was Nike. The program now exists as Generation Adidas. It does exist for foreigners, but is limited by age and their prospects within the professional and national pools.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it still provide scholarship money? The Nike version touted that as one of it's primary things, I don't recall hearing anything about it since adidas took it over.

19. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm under the impression that it does. I can't see college students leaving early without that kind of a guarantee built into the contract, especially those that leave a year early.

20. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so what exactly is our roster at this point?

Below is my understanding of the situation. I'm sure there are mistakes in here. If you can identify them, please correct me.

Personnel who are definitely on the roster (they've definitely signed; we won't be releasing them in favor of someone else who's trying out):

• Burch
    • J. Carroll
    • Carvallo (I)
    • Dyachenko
    • Emilio (I)
    • Fred (I)
    • Gallardo (I)
    • Kirk
    • Kpene
    • Martinez (I)
    • McTavish
    • Mediate
    • Moreno
    • Namoff
    • Neill (I)
    • Olsen
    • Peralta (I)
    • Simms
    • Wells

(7 of 8 international slots taken; 19 of 25 roster spots taken)

Personnel who I'm not sure about:

• Attar
    • P. Carroll
    • Cordeiro
    • Monteiro
    • Moose
    • Owens
    • Renfrow
    • Schmitz
    • Stratford (has he definitely signed? the article that started this thread doesn't say)
    • Thorpe
    • Walker

Am I missing anyone? Do I have anyone in the wrong category?

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Cordeiro already signed a contract. Thorpe is pretty much guaranteed as our reserve GK. I'd be shocked if Monteiro was dropped so soon.

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    My take on the roster:

Senior Roster:

1. Wells
    2. Carvallo
    3. Namoff
    4. Burch
    5. McTavish
    6. Peralta
    7. Martinez
    8. Fred
    9. Simms
    10. Olsen
    11. Gallardo
    12. Mediate
    13. Moreno
    14. Emilio
    15. Neill

Moose, Walker, Gardner, and a few developmentals are battling for the last three spots. One of Moose or Walker seem likely to be let go. If Gardner shows anything, he should be a lock as a left midfield back-up. I could see Dyachenko or Kpene given the last one.

Developmental:

1. Kirk
    2. Cordeiro
    3. Thorpe
    4. Carroll, J.
    5. Dyachenko
    6. Kpene
    7. Stratford
    8. Monteiro

Pat Carroll, Alltar, Owens, Schmitz, and Renfrow are battling it out for the last two (possibly three) spots. Carroll and Alltar seem likely to get the last two, while Owens or Renfrow are on the outside looking in.

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, that was very helpful in that 1) I'd forgotten it was 18+10 slots; I thought it was 18+7 for some reason; 2) I'd forgotten about Gardner entirely.

If there's any possibility of that 2nd DP getting used on a new player this season -- which I think is doubtful, but just for the sake of discussion -- will they keep a senior slot open? Or, would they bump someone from senior back to developmental? They did that with Dyachenko or McTavish once, IIRC.

24. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, but he's never marked.