Welcome back, Nking Nkong

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by chilistrider, Aug 25, 2006.

1. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official. Alain is back! What do you think he'll bring to the Rapids first---a card or a goal? Note: I believe this poll is as much about fans' current optimism/pessimism as it is about Nkong's style of play.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited to have Alain back. My only worry is that it will take time for him to get back into the swing of things. Other foriegn imports have taken 4 to 6 games to start clicking with the team. Hopefully we get some of his skillful play before the playoffs start.

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    How about 2 assists, then a goal, then a card but only a yellow one for aggressive play. The best thing he may bring is his intensity and if he still has it maybe it will be contagious with the young guns and inspiration to some of the established name-brand players that seem at times to be phoning it in. After Spencer, Alain was about the best we've had so far as playing with passion and believing the shirt and badge he is wearing mean something more than just a kids' game.

4. RMJB

RMJB New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Denver
    Nkong could be just the spark we need. We all have known he has been coming for awhile now, but it is nice to see the official press release. He has been training with the rapids for the last couple of weeks (right?), so hopefully he will be clicking with his old/new teamates right away.

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Agreed 100%. The key is can he control and focus it. He brings a bit of unpredictability to the Rapids attack, he can take on the defender, dish off or take an unexpected shot.

Regarding fitting in, he played 28 games with the team last year so he's not completely new but I'm sure it will take some time until everyone is comfortable together.

What position will he play though?

6. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think cards occur more frequently than goals, so I voted for card. However, I think he'll get both a card and a goal in his first game back in the Black & Blue.

Every time I have seen Alain since he came back to Colorado---whether he was walking past the C-Firm on the track or at a reserves game---he has looked so HAPPY. I think that's a good sign.

Bonji's point about a four- to six-game ramp up period for foreign players is well taken, but since Nkong is a *returning* foreign player, I don't think it will take nearly that long for him to gel.

Color me optimist today, eh? :p

7. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    It's made my day. Earlier this morning I wrote on the Chicago game thread how much I wished Nkong was ready. Yee-haw!

Got to say when I saw him at the RSL game a bit back he looked really in shape (unlike some other folks that were on the field that night).

As for the question of what position does he play - attacking mid. Can't wait to see him and Beckerman take charge of the center of the attack. With that, we only need one striker up top (Niko once Cooke is back), and we can have Nkong, Beckerman, and Pablo all in the mid-field clogging up everyone's attacks. And have a better offense than we've had all year.

Whoops, letting the optimism run here!

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Nkong is back, eh? Let's hope this means we're shipping Kirovski off to Pueblo.

9. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirovski to Pueblo? What do you have against Pueblo?

Let's send him off to FSL. That would pretty much assure us that the Cup would stay in Colorado.

10. adambauer

adambauer New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Johnstown
    Nkong is the man! Thank god we have him back.

Now lets sell Mathis to Rochester for a magic brownie, oh what the hell, throw Jovan in the deal too.

Brownies are so good, and so is 600,000 dollars.

11. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article about Nkong in today's Rocky Mountain News. A couple of interesting quotes...

On leading the Rapids in cards in the 2005 season: "Now, I'm not a newbie to the league," Nkong said. "I know the referees and what they call. But if I need to take a yellow card in order to avoid a goal against our team, I will not hesitate."

On whom he is looking forward to pairing up with: "He's the type of player I can work very well with," Nkong said of Hernandez. "He has great mobility; he sees the field well."

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This is awesome for the rapids. He is a great player and I thought he was pretty good last MLS season.

13. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very pleased that he is back; good for the Rapids and the league.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Not much effect tonight.

15. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I seem to remember Nkong taking chances and gettting shoots on goal, but also hitting a hefty share of offside calls.

Glad to see him get more of a chance with the Rapids.

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which will Alain get first?

A sore butt from sitting on the bench... guh...

17. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reserve game on 8/27. Does that count, or should we just count non-reserve games?

18. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta be with the first team. We didn't acquire him to lead the reserve league in goals...:D

19. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    No, that's why we acquired Martins ;)

20. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rats, I was going to say Kirovski, but you were to fast for me.

Sadly, none of my choices are even leading the reserves in goals.

21. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I like your idea better. I wish Kiro was leading the reserves in scoring, think about it ;)

22. newnew

newnew Red Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Now with DJ Tenpc on the first team, our chances to win the reserve title are better !

23. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Just checked the reserves stats and I have to correct myself on previous statements - both Matins and Luchi do indeed know what a goal is for. So that takes away that explanation for their histories on the varsity....

24. newnew

newnew Red Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Are you ghost of DJ Tenpc?:D

25. newnew

newnew Red Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Yes, maybe Rapids will get the reserve title this year with Martins contribution with 4 goals, 4 wins 4 games. And your favorite player, leader in scores goals in pk, what did he do?:confused: