Welcome Atlanta fans!

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    lol don't waste your time the only good supporters group left is Ultras Montreal. Welcome back monkeys, we miss making monkey noises at you when you played down in PR.

2. AtlGoonerPirate

AtlGoonerPirate New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea a new website sounds good, i actually dont have facebook lol so i cant really check in much on the facebook site

3. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause that couldn't be taken as derogatory in any means...

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that illegal in Europe?

5. ikeman07

ikeman07 New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is. Beasley and Gooch have both had bananas thrown at them from the stands.

6. AtlGoonerPirate

Oct 6, 2010
    GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sad and disgusting that people still act like that

7. kizzak

kizzak Member

Sep 26, 2007
    As I previous implied, before the silverback men were dropped - westside had a full website and a forum. It was allowed to expire while the silverbacks were gone, but I'm sure it will be back up at some point.

I avoid facebook myself as well, so I completely understand. I just figured I would provide at least the temporary link for anyone interested.

8. AtlGoonerPirate

Oct 6, 2010
    GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yea def, i was able to look at it on limited view without a facebook, glad to see there is a group out there

9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Not when most of your players are white and most of the PR supporters are mixed race, racism works weird down here, since black, mix, white Hispanics doesn't really matter we are all getting screwed by someone, classism is the main problem down here. In fact calling somebody a "Negro" (which means black) is more a greeting or a way to get somebodies attention. Now call somebody a cafre or a caco, or guaynabito and they may get offended. Racially the only group that gets discriminated heavily on the island are Dominicans.

I see how it can be viewed as racist but to be honest most supporters don't think so and are just making fun of your stupid name, as we do with all teams in the league. Remember we are not culturally the same so how we perssived words and symbols is different. Race clashes was never a issue down here. It probably wasn't even until the advent of TV that most people became aware that it was in other parts of the world!

10. kizzak

kizzak Member

Sep 26, 2007
    'Most' players aren't the ones that are subjected to racism.

Part of the problem is 'classism' can turn into racism through scapegoating.

Mixed race also doesn't necessarily prove that one is not a racist.

Yes, we all know what it means, and it can be used in some cases - but in most contexts it is not acceptable in American society due to the loaded history behind the usage of the term.

According to Jorge Duany, the chair and professor of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of Puerto Rico:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]

So it would seem that not everyone agrees with your assessment.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Cultural similarity doesn't really make much difference, that brand of racism (monkey noises made towards black players) is seen across Europe including Spain, Italy, Netherlands, France, Germany, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, and Scotland.

I would argue that Puerto Rico is far more culturally similar to the US than the US is to any of those countries. As such, it would seem to me that any difference in culture has little to nothing to do with how such words or symbols may be perceived.

11. Andrew Jackson

May 24, 2010
    Oxford, Miss.
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team gonna actually play?

12. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They definitely are. Go out and watch them! NASL teams need all the support they can get!

13. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sorry for starting a racial argument. That was not my intent.

14. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm not trying to put words (or monkey noises for that matter) into Intru's mouth, but I think he is referring to the Silverback Gorrilla which is the club mascot when making the monkey noises, not for any particular ethnicity of a player. The former may be considered fair play in ribbing your opponent. The later is not. However Intru, it's a fine line to tread in this PC world.

EDIT: Sorry about prolonging the argument. I hadn't refreshed my browser and did not read the response from Intru and subsequent posts.

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Yes, the Westside 109 site was very good. :) I hope somebody will get that going again.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF rejects NASL d2 status, is s-backs already in trouble?

Will Traffic sponsor a team in Atlanta if there isn't some league minimum to make?

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I think Atlanta's toast, as is the rest of the league (I think the 'Backs were just a last-minute add to make the league work). It's going to take more than a spiteful knee-jerk reaction and breakaway from the USL to set up a stable D2 league in the US and Canada. I just feel sorry for Montreal; still a year away from MLS, and no place to play (unless MLS lets them come up a year early).

I'd like to see the USSF and some people with almost MLS money take a couple of years to set up "ASL 4," and make it a strictly regional, 12-16 team league, with conferences and divisions (or divisions, at least). No inter-conference (or inter-divisional, if no conferences) play until the league championship. If necessary, have two leagues, one East and one West (8-10 teams each), with the same format (league champs play for the national D2 title).

18. AtlGoonerPirate

Oct 6, 2010
    GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone know anything about getting tickets with Westside 109?

19. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I filled out a form today on the Site and I assume if you ask for/mention Westside 109 they will understand.

20. AtlGoonerPirate

Oct 6, 2010
    GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kizzak

kizzak Member

Sep 26, 2007
    I had started a thread a couple days ago to make it easy to find the info, but reposted details on westside 109 section tickets:

• For Season tickets: call Jake in the ticket office (404) 410-7406, mention Westside 109, and request one of the season tickets reserved for the supporters group.
    • For individual game tickets: they should be available on the website when single game tickets are made available, my understanding is that it will be made clear which tickets are in the section so that people know whether or not they are by the supporters group. I had heard that single game tickets may now be available by phone, but I have no confirmation on that claim.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attend a Screening

“Dennis Viollet A United Man”
    February 7th - Atlanta, GA
    Tickets: $20 includes screening,
    movie poster, Q&A with Director.
    Location: Landmark Theatre’s Midtown Art Cinema 931 Monroe Dr. NE Atlanta, GA 30308
    Time: 12:30pm.

23. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    What's this?

24. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a mystery post in a long dead thread. I looked back through the thread and noticed Westside 109 was mentioned. No matter what happens on the field next spring we as a group are still alive and well. Yes, a small group, but still having fun. A bunch of us are off to watch The Atlanta Gladiators next Sat night. We went to a few games last winter an it was fun. Depending on the weather we will either tailgate in the parking lot or go meet at the Arena Tavern around 5.

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States