Weis uses play called by dying 10-year-old boy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is not a political story, but it is a current event and a heartfelt story to put our differences here in perspective.

Weis uses play called by dying 10-year-old boy

Weis asked Montana if there was something he could do for him. He agreed to let Montana call the first play against Washington on Saturday. He called "pass right."

Montana never got to see the play. He died Friday at his home.

Weis heard about the death and called Mazurkiewicz on Friday night to assure her he would still call Montana's play.

"He said, 'This game is for Montana, and the play still stands,"' she said.

Weis said he told the team about the visit. He said it wasn't a "Win one for the Gipper" speech, because he doesn't believe in using individuals as inspiration. He just wanted the team to know people like Montana are out there.

"That they represent a lot of people that they don't even realize they're representing," Weis said.

When the Irish started on their own 1-yard-line following a fumble recovery, Mazurkiewicz wasn't sure Notre Dame would be able to throw a pass. Weis was concerned about that, too. So was quarterback Brady Quinn.

"He said what are we going to do?" Weis said. "I said we have no choice. We're throwing it to the right."

Weis called a play where most of the Irish went left, Quinn ran right and looked for tight end Anthony Fasano on the right.

Mazurkiewicz watched with her family.

"I just closed my eyes. I thought, 'There's no way he's going to be able to make that pass. Not from where they're at. He's going to get sacked and Washington's going to get two points,"' she said.

Fasano caught the pass and leapt over a defender for a 13-yard gain.

"It's almost like Montana was willing him to beat that defender and take it to the house," Weis said.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that today as well. I was impressed but not surprised that he ran the play even considering the field position. It says a lot about Weis and his character.

Good show. Very classy.

3. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    That story makes me realize how much I really do love you Ian. :)

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    wow

RIP, Montana.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an alum of the other Catholic Division I-A football school I am naturally inclined to root against ND, but Weis has been a complete class act since he joined. And to think that Rutgers wouldn't even interview him for their head coaching job a few years ago.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    That's right. Rub it in!

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.

--An RU alum.

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Notre Dame sucks.

9. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    When you grow up, hopefully you'll look back on this moment and realize what an ass you had been.

RIP Montana. Classy show by Weis.

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Oh, it was definitely a classy move by Weis. But Notre Dame still sucks.