Weird News Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, I just don't find serial rapists/sexual predators very funny.

Tortoises saving their species by procreating is a good thing.
    Harvey Weinstein is not a good thing in any respect.

What would be funny is if the two were in a room together and the tortoise bit off Weinstein's nads.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    okay, now we're getting somewhere...

xtomx repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you do, indeed, think they're funny. :)

The original you referenced was funnier. Sometimes it's not the subject of a joke that makes it funny or not, it's the actual structure of the joke itself :)

locoxriver and Moishe repped this.
  4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Also when you have to explain the joke it makes it much funnier. o_O

russ, fatbastard, chaski and 2 others repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course he’s not a good thing. Nor is it a positive to be called a pig, rather than a person. The point wasn’t to defend him, but to reduce him to the status of what is culturally considered a “lesser” animal (oh boy, don’t go off on me for talking down on animals now :D) than humans.

That whole post was dragged much longer than it should have when the only malintent of it was directed towards the Hollywood predator. But that’s the last thing I’ll say on the matter. Sorry to unintentionally offend!

soccernutter, bostonsoccermdl and Moishe repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Those are so cool! Who can say no to that? I bet if they gave us those back when I was in high school, I would have lost my virginity much sooner.

dapip repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh: Not many high school boys actually get to choose when to lose their virginity

Great slogans!

dapip and JohnR repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We in Illinois hate Indiana. Say what? Wisconsin has the Packers. We couldn't be bothered with the Colts. At any rate, I don't hate Indiana. I pity the northern part and central/southern Indiana can be kinda pretty. Sure they are Trump voters but they aren't alone in that.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but why does SC hate Ohio?

11. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well....Grover Cleveland was born in NJ and served 2 terms as POTUS. He had a "baby" daughter named "Ruth". Grover Cleveland Alexander from Nebraska pitched for the Phillies and Cubs. Both of them are buried in different places. I hope that answers your question. :coffee:

12. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Lowcountry, Hilton Head Island in particular is inundated with people from Ohio that really make it a point to let you know where they are from. Tourist season comes and it gets even worse.

Fortunately the posters on here from Ohio aren’t reflective of what we deal with. Tourist season here was enough to convince me to sell my house and buy in Palmetto Bluff.

fatbastard repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

I have been vacationing on HHI for close to 50 years and I would say the majority of people I meet while there are Ohioans on vacation.

Moishe repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Did not know this. And California hates TX? Some of this is confusing.

FWIW it's a badge of honor for New Jerseyans to be hated by every neighbor. Y'all can GDIAF! :mad:

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Never understood the California/Texas thing. Towards the end of my residency in Texas and Austin in particular, Californians were transplanting on the regular.

Having lived in NYC/Queens/Bronx when coming to this country I came to realize a lot of New Yorkers actually felt pity for Jersey more so than hate.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Meh, all Manhattanites hate the outer boroughs which Jersey is another one to them. Apparently the first use of the phrase "bridge and tunnel" in print is attributed to Steve Rubell:

The earliest known instance of this phrase in print is the December 13, 1977, edition of The New York Times:

"On the weekends, we get all the bridge and tunnel people who try to get in," he said.

Elizabeth Fondaras, a pillar of the city's conservative social scene, who has just told Steve Rubell she had never tried to get into Studio 54 for fear of being rejected, asked who the bridge and tunnel people were.

“The people from Queens and Staten Island and those places,” he said.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it has been pointed out that with the tolls on the bridges and tunnels, you can go to New Jersey from NY for free, but you have to pay money to get out of New Jersey....

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, growing up way up the street in Summerville, we always knew something was dreadfully wrong with Hilton Head and avoided it at all costs - I thought it was just all the gated communities and that everything from a gallon of milk to a tiny condo is ridiculously overpriced.
    I always liked (and still do) Folly Beach so rarely ventured toward HH. Totally different vibe in those two places.

We were only taught to hate NC (which I still do) - I moved from there to Erie PA where I was taught to hate Ohio - Damn .... I could have stayed and focused more on Hilton Head to achieve the same goal and it would have been waaaay warmer :)

Moishe repped this.
  19. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IIRC, my parents found HHI in the early 70's when the developers of Sea Pines were looking for somewhere to advertise. They drew a circle on a map of where they thought people could realistically drive from in a reasonable amount of time and Columbus was a major population center inside that circle.

The island was only accessable via drawbridge and the only real development was on the south end. My dad turned down buying oceanfront lots for $10k.

I do still love HHI and return as much as possible, but I would rather go back to the island the way it was in the '70's.

Dr. Wankler and Moishe repped this.
  20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I only chose HHI because I wanted to get away from big city life and cool to cold weather. The offer I received made it hard to pass up along with visiting in the off season made it an easy decision.

Local politics and a big shift in the demographic of visitors really soured me on the place. I’m happy in PB but I may use the house for income and just do what other Jewish retirees do and move to Florida lol.

Best thing about moving to HHI is that I learned about Beaufort, that’s a really nice area. I teach at the air base about once a month so look forward to heading that way.

stanger and fatbastard repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furry Justice

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. chaski