Weird last minute WC news

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Brasitusa, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    It's been reported that three Dutch players were out partying past the curfew: Kuyt, De Jong and Robben.

Not exactly WC-related, but Maradona's ex Rocía Olivia just said he used to beat her up.

Strange, but positive in terms of Brazil being a friendly place: Messi was very well received by the Brazilian fans and they've been treating him super nicely. In much more disgusting news, an Argentine fan was assaulted by three Brazilians who wanted to snatch his Argentinian flag from him, and he and got a broken finger. The guy is married to a Brazilian wife (who is outraged), has a Brazilian-born daughter, and has been living in Brazil for two years. Come on, Brazilians, you can do better than that!

The English, as usual, are coming up with advance excuses: after whining extensively about the humidity and heat in Manaus (well, it affects both teams, so what's the point?) they are now complaining of the grass field in Arena Amazonia, while FIFA countered them and said the field is just fine.

Andressa Uracha, Brazilian hot girl who had an affair with Cristiano Ronaldo, showed up at the Portugal training site dressed in body paint only, hoping for seconds.

Croatian players said they can only stop Neymar if they lock him up in his hotel.

Brazilian politicians have left the House of Representatives "en masse." After all, following the tournament is way more important than voting bills for the nation.

The Germans are doing a nice PR job. They visited a local school and played soccer with the kids.

-----------

OK, the big dance starts tomorrow. Does anybody else have reports of weird/funny news?

2. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 MSUDuo, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Pictures of the field in Manaus are floating around. It's not a pretty sight. Did you really expect FIFA to agree with them?

3. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The argentine guy went to a hospital with a broken middle finger but he's OK now, also, Andressa urach is a disgusting gold digger and she never had an affair with Cristiano Ronaldo; She only said that because she's an attention wh.re

Nobody here likes her :sick:

4. JamieMCFC

JamieMCFC Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Minnesota United FC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't they be concerned about the pitch when the head groundsman says it's in bad shape?

"Frankly, Manaus is in bad shape," said Carlos Botella, head groundsman for the Royal Verd company which is responsible for the turf at Manaus and six other World Cup stadiums. "We've started to implement an emergency plan to try to save the field and improve it as much as possible, but I don't think it'll be in good condition" by the weekend.

Measures to improve the dry, patchy surface were in full swing on Wednesday.

"Yesterday we put fertilizer, and we'll increase the fertilizing process with biostimulants and seeds to try to get the most out of the grass," Botella said.

[​IMG]

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1874664/groundskeeper-says-manaus-pitch-is-in-bad-shape

5. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Boo hoo! :cry:

6. JamieMCFC

JamieMCFC Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Minnesota United FC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answer the question?

7. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazilian fans stepped up in the packed opening training the argentinian NT did, and one of them who looked like ronaldhino, vowed messi! actually, a couple of them vowed messi and messi gave him his shirt.
    then many brazilians start asking for the shirts of other argentinian players :D

pics: http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1700419-entrenamiento-argentina-brasil-2014

there sure are a lot of BRAZILIAN argentina fans in belo horizonte:D:thumbsup:

8. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's telling...

9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #9 Brasitusa, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    What is even more telling is this more recent pic with the field in perfect condition, and this article countering the criticism and saying that the field is just fine. Again, don't believe in all sensational news you see, and the guy who gave the interview putting down the field for all I know may have been paid by the journalist to say so (again, catastrophic piece of news sells, "just fine" piece of news does not).
    [​IMG]
    http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebo...23c3f64c63d86410VgnVCM5000009ccceb0aRCRD.html

"A Greenleaf (...) garante que todos os gramados instalados e mantidos pela empresa estarão em excelentes condições durante o Mundial e chegarão ao final da competição sem alteração", alegou a empresa em nota."

"Greenleaf guarantees that all fields installed and maintained by the corporation will be in excellent conditions for the World Cup and will reach the end of the tournament without damage", said the corporation in a press release." In other paragraphs, the leaders of this enterprise give more details on how the field was treated and corrected. It looks like whoever gave the interview that you're going on about is a disgruntled employee.

The article quotes that the field will be "perfect" for England vs. Italy. Drop the advance excuses, already.

Happy now?

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    It's been answered above.

11. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'm sure it improved so much in a matter of two days.

12. Megabeast

Megabeast Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Whoa whoa whoa!

Sorry, but this is false.

Whining extensively about heat and humidity? When? It might have been mentioned here and there of course, but whining extensively? I've been reading WC news everyday and listen to every press conference by the manager and players and I can't remember the last time anyone "whined" about it.

And as for the pitch, the players aren't concerned there either...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ition-of-manaus-pitch-ahead-of-england-opener

And finally, coming up with advance excuses as usual? What? When have we done that before?

13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker New Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    "The English, as usual, are coming up with advance excuses"

Could you make your hate for english people a little clearer, I don't think have realised it yet.

14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

This thread should be in World Cup Rivalries. lol

15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is there a team that does not "make advance excuses", if you want to call it that? I'm sure you will explain how all the 'group of death' and 'longest distance travelled' noise from the US media was different?

Not picking on the US, as I said, probably every country does this, I just can't read any non-English language media.

16. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #16 Brasitusa, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Hm... let's see... what about every time, except for 1966?
    Now, seriously, maybe I misspoke about *advance* excuses (which in this case are indeed advance excuses because for a change you guys don't think you'll win). The more usual pattern is that there is over-hype and this will be the year when you win it all again, then you don't, and then the excuses start - it was the weather, the refs, the pitch, the ball, the opponents cheated, etc., etc.
    That's the usual pattern I've seen over and over from English fans in other boards.
    But sure, I shouldn't be generalizing, or next you'll all say that Americans are fat, don't know anything about football which they call soccer, and always think we'll win.
    So, sure, bad form, my apologies for the stereotypes.
    And no, I don't hate the English - I actually very much love the country and find London to be one of the most incredible and exciting cities in the world. English football fans however sometimes get annoying. I'm sure American fans also do. Cheers.