Weird Bigsoccer Birthday Information...3/26/12

Discussion in 'Technical Problems and Bug Reports' started by Dr. Wankler, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ... in what looks like a scene from The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai, the "Today's Birthdays" at the bottom of "Forums" features an awful lot of 23 year olds with names followed by four digits. They all seem to have pictures, a "message" or two, but no posts. Not sure what to make of that. Might be worth looking into.

EvanJ repped this.
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - funny - I bet they are all fans of the PDL, which is another tell tale sign of Spammer. Not sure what they think they get out of registering and then doing nothing, but we get a lot of these.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also bet on a bot. There's at least two members that end in 0592. I wonder if other numbers repeat. I do see a lot of the combinations have digits 1-4 in them, FWIW.

I wonder if the "register and do nothing" is a result of email verification needed. It's kinda hard to start posting if you're a bot that can't access email to click a link.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I only noticed because when I'm not logged in I go immediately to the bottom of the page. That's usually irritating, but I'm kinda glad today. That was pretty odd.

I wonder if some guy spent a whole day doing that for some reason, or if some start-up in Taiwan had a couple of interns do that in preparation of a spam/marketing campaign, or what. Not that I'm going to spend much more time thinking about it.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is cracking me up. More spammers turning 26 today. This time they seem to be spamming only on their personal page.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you need to pay for a personal page?

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I said "personal page." I meant "public profile." These folks are dumb, even by spammer standards, but I don't think they're that dumb. If they are, then good for Bigsoccer.