Weiner's Seat Has Flipped

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steamer, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
  2. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Democrats had a 3-1 voter registration edge there. Apparently it was a very Jewish district, there is no doubt that Obama's distancing himself from Netanyahu had an effect. Still, this election confirms what I have been saiyng for a long time- there is no real constituency that will switch from not voting Obama to voting Obama in 2012, but there are a number that are turning away from him.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It's a very difficult district for Democrats.

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevertheless, this is a race they could have won. Weprin turned out to be an awful candidate, and the ground game was apparently not very good. Let's both hope the Democrats can step up their game next year.

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I was mocking the words of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz. This is a district that should NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES go to the GOP. And you’re deluding yourself if you think it flipped because the Democratic candidate was a jackass instead of a donkey.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There's that.

I mean, a GOP win is a GOP win, but special elections are a beast unto its own, and it's not like the GOP or conservatism doesn't exist in NYC. Especially in the outer boroughs, you're going to have pockets of conservatism and the New York Republican Party does exist, and holds sway in the state house. It's just usually not the crazy brand of Republicanism that we get from the Red States.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's ironic that one issue where Obama has shown some spine and not been Israel's complete lapdog appears to have hurt the Democrats here. On other hand on issues such as the economy, I can totally see why the Democrat lost given Obama's utter spinelessness.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What's the take in NY? Here in the left coast the libs are blaming the Jews.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name a group that does not blame the Jews?

Shit when I lose my keys I tend to blame the Jews :D :p

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Judea People's Front?

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could also blame the Russians too. I think it's a simplistic analysis of the 9th CD. The Brooklyn portion of the district is way Jewish running down Ocean Parkway and Starret City is rather black. The Rockaways is really working class and diverse and Forrest Hills/Kew Gardens is about as mixed a bag of races, creeds, ages and income levels as you can get.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    F*CK OFF! Judea's People's Front. We are the People's Front of Judea.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, NY is the home of Rockefeller Republicans. The likes of Pataki and Guliani are laughed at by 'real' Republicans.

the Republicans have fired a warning shot and won a seat they had no business winning. And in Western NY one of the reddest seats in NY went to a dem earlier this year. NY has to lose two seats in redistricting. I wonder which ones they will be? Hmmmmmm.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Also keep in mind:, Peter King is an R-NY from Long Island, and his witch-hunting ways (not to mention his past support for noble terrorists) fit with the other Republicans.

I don't know why anyone is feigning surprise that an NY congressional seat went to the GOP.

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a big difference between Brooklyn and Queens and Western Nassau/Eastern Suffolk.

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understatement of the year. :)

The 9th is a +5 PVI district, so it's a moderately strong [D] district.

There is currently only one district in the entire House with a higher Democratic PVI that is held by a Republican (IL 10th, which seems to like having a GOP rep while otherwise voting Dem).

The last GOP rep from this district left office in 1923.

Weiner had previously defeated Turner (the guy that just won) by a 61-39 margin. That's not even close to close.

Given that the results of this were 54-46, this one swung hard. 15 points hard.

So what was the cause of that big a flip? If you look at the Google "news" feed, you'd think... well, you'd think that news is dead in this country because no one is really offering anything other than bullshit "national implications" and other propaganda stories. God I hate the media.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would it be fair to say, though, that Weiner had some HUGE intangibles working in his favor?

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't think to long and hard about that one.

But seriously, folks

I'd like to see decent analysis, and I wonder about the connection between this race and the NY26th (IIRC), in which a long-time Republican seat went Democratic in a special election.

But I guess actual analysis and reporting based on research is too much to ask now that "reporters" have come to rely on gasbags engaged in the spin business to fill their column inches.

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY9 and NY26 might as well be completely different planets. I don't think any logical connection could be drawn between the two.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Other than the folks in the district held their finger up to see which way the wind was blowing at that moment.

Last spring was taking away the Medicare. Right now its jobs. Sheep.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Possibly, and if so, decent analysis would point that out. But you have a pretty similar situation: a long-held Republican seat going Democratic, vs. a long-held Democratic seat going Republican.

The similar spin is interesting: the 26th was portrayed as a rejection of the Republican house leadership, and the 9th is being portrayed as a rejection of Obama's policies.

But the spin, regardless of not being very useful, is dominating the reporting.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at least one of them can be used to understand the strength of the national party???

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mostly correct.

The wild card being independents/the few remaining moderate Republicans, who might feel estranged from the GOP given its hard right turn. Thus, my wife plans to vote for Obama after voting for McCain the last time around.

But yes I can't argue with the overall thesis. Obama once had a fighting chance with working-class whites but they have forsaken him completely now. Hispanic support has dwindled. I'm not even sure that African-Americans will vote for him in such huge numbers. Probably not, the turnout will be lower.

He needs the Reeps to shoot themselves (a genuine possibility) or something approaching an economic miracle (less so).