Weinergate?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steamer, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a Jewy looking guy with the name Weiner. He wasn't exactly going to be running for President, or even Senate for that matter. So his usefulness to the Dems in Congress is now pretty much shot.

He still has a chance at mayor of NYC. I do think if he resigns now, it worsens the humiliation. If he can weather this embarrassment until the end of his term, this incident will be a half-forgotten joke and he can try his luck in the mayoral race.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quite!
    Just not enough dwarf on BS IMO. :)
    Has the ring of an unlikely pair of New York detectives, doesn't it.
    The difference is they don't usually email pictures of them out to all and sundry.

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This is what I'm thinking - he'll lay low until 2013 and hope that it all blows over.

Heh, I said "blow".

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if he had just admitted to the weiner tweet right from the start....I'd have said let his constituents decide if he's too stupid to stay in Congress. But the lying.....he should go.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does it not make a difference that he lied initially because he was trying to hide it from his wife? I'm not saying a lie for that reason is a good thing but it is at least a 'human' thing which, if his wife forgives him, isn't really anyone else's business. Well, apart from the poor bugger that received the picture :D

I suppose this is one of those areas where Europeans are more tolerant although, to be fair, it's probably significant in that regard that we're talking about someone that is, in the final analysis, only a minor political figure. If he were a major politician in the UK he'd find it hard to stay in, say, the cabinet or shadow cabinet with something like this.

My guess is that the French wouldn't mind and if he were an Italian he'd probably be made Prime Minister :D

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lying doesn't even bother me very much, personally. Not on an ethical level. Honestly, the pictures he sends to college co-eds are his own business as far as I'm concerned, and I totally understand if he wants to lie to the public about them.

Again, what does bother me is the horrible lapses in judgment. Taking racy pictures of himself is dangerous enough for a public figure. Using social media sites to send them to people is completely Trig. And then, when you've (inevitably) been found out, acting like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar saying, "What cookie jar?"

If you're going to lie, lie well. Do it smartly. Or be smart enough to know when it's better to come clean.

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I would add: If you're going to lie, then at least do it about something that's not pathetic and asinine.

The worst thing about this revelation today is now this story is going to continue on for ... I don't know how long. I'm already tired of it.

9. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Will it though? Remember Arnold?

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Arnold's broke right AFTER he stepped down as Gov. If he was still Gov when it hit the fan it would be wall to wall 24/7 coverage.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's difficult not to wonder what would have happened if Weiner's immediate reaction had been to tell the truth right off the bat.

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okay, bad example. He was a governor and famous outside of politics.

But I'm of the opinion that had Ensign not faced ethics charges, he could've stayed on and grinned and beared it.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We wouldn't have had to sit thruogh Breitbart having a goddamn press conference with the whole country watching. That's one thing, at least.

Weiner's a stupid dick.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ensign never had a right wing media breathing down his neck and relentlessly pushing the scandal story.

That's the only reason he lasted as long as he did before resigning. He only resigned once it became totally obvious that he was going to be thrown out of the Senate.

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe but as Weiner is finding out the Beltway media is relentless. What Weiner needs is for us to shoot Osama Bin Laden in the face and dump his corpse in the ocean. Oh wait..... :D

Maybe he'll get lucky and another earthquake, tornado or tsunami will knock him off the front page.

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weiner probably won't resign, even though he is a lying, perverted idiot. he might get censure, a loss of committee assignments, something like that, depending on whether Pelosi wants to make an example of him which is doubtful.

But if I was a Republican Congressman, every time I mentioned Weiner, I'd make the point of stating that he is a disgusting, perverted liar who has disgraced his position as an elected member of Congress (as if that's actually possible).

That said, unless his constituents actually give a shit about that sort of stuff, he'll probably be re-elected.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gaddafi is still available.

18. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Palin's emails are going to be released to the public on Friday.

Fingers crossed!

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'd have to have led a pretty sheltered life to consider Weiner's indiscretions remarkably perverted.

... of course, I'm not sure what I'd consider remarkably perverted these days. :eek:

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Perverted idiot? I agree with the idiot part, the perverted part?.... not so much. As a matter of fact I kind of feel sorry for this big dummy. For such a big sex scandal as this is being blown up as, there hasn't been any actual sex. At least Spritzer buried bone in some fine tail. Weiner just sent out some pics and probably stayed home and played whack-a-mole.

21. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Is this where we're at now?

22. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have you been?

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    LOL! Good one.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Colbert's segment on this, he prefaced the following statement (or thereabouts) with "and then he said the most remarkable thing of the press conference": I'll now answer your questions. ;)

He also suggested props were in order for apologizing to Breitbart by name, early in the presser.

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you consider sending pictures of your throbbing member to people you don't really know normal, then yeah, his activities are somewhat perverted.

But we've been defining deviancy down for so long in this country that the word "pervert" should probably be banished to the old English section of the dictionary.

:D