weight training..7 days a week or 3?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, Jul 2, 2003.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Do you think it is worth weight training every day? Or does it just make you too tired?
    I was kinda thinking I should weight train every 2nd day, but if it is useful I will still go every day. On the inbetween days though, I don't know what to add.

Mostly right now, my friend and I work on volleying with both feet, that is probably our weekest point. That and one time shooting so that is what we work on.

Right now, we do this and then weight train. Should we alternate days, one day weight train another day practise dribbling or go for a 2 mile run?
    Or would it be best to just do all these things in one day? Or would that overwork us a bit.
    My endurance is good, I can easily run the 2 miles now, but I want to mostly increase sprinting speed, that is my goal for this offseason. Sprinting, volleying, and heading, but am I neglecting the need for aerobic fitness in soccer when i don't go for runs?

For me it is easy to run far, and when I do weights it feels like far more of a cardio workout than when I run, even when I run quickly.

So should I weight train every day? Or every second day? Should I run, weight train, and do skill work all in one day? Or should I alternate days.
    Oh yea, and how much time do you guys wait between sets?

Is there a site of skill work drills that are made into practises that can be done with 2 people. Our drills are a little boring now. Pass, pass, shoot collect gets boring and it doesn't really feel like i am improving.

2. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i play for my high school. and for the whole summer we have practice, three times a week. one hour of weight training and three hours of running, drills, talk, and then a possesion game and a full sided game. dont weight train everyday, it is too stresfull for your body. once every 2 days is ideal.

3. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    you do this every practise? if so...that's absurd. there is no way you can put in 5-6+ hours of training 3x a week. if your coach is making you do this...all he's asking for is fatigue and overuse injuries. 3 hours of running drills?!?! you're obviously exaggerating a touch.

hambone. weight training 3x a week for a beginner is plenty. your muscles need time to recover and grow. it's the rest periods that you actually make the gains in strength and size, not the actual time you're lifting the weight. that's what people dont understand...it's the rest that makes you stronger, the rebuilding of the muscle fibers and the growing of the muscles. your muscles need at least 48 hours of recovery time. any less, and you'll be constantly tearing down the muscle tissue and not allowing time for it to rebuild. eventually...you can work up to doing each muscle group on a different day. so youll train: chest one day, then back, shoulders, and legs. so 4 days of training.

as for running. the days you weight train...after you finish working out...go for a run on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes. this will cover your cardio. then the other 3 days, do ball work and speed/agility work. and allow one day of rest, doing absolutely nothing. take the day totally off from soccer, weights, running.

if you need some help with drills, and different things to do on the treadmill to help the aerobic side...let me know. ive got some good treadmill workouts.

4. Fever

Fever New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Canada
    if u workout everyday it is bad for ur body it is better to work out everyother day or else ur muscles will just get tired and u wont get any good out of it

5. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I agree, and as a high school coach myself, I do not allow my boys to weight train every day. Three times a week is plenty. Add in plyometrics and sprint training on your off days, or play...... or just let your body recover when you are really pooped.

A big part of making your training work is the recovery time and rest that you give yourself so that your body can do the repair work that it needs to do.