Week 9 Full Table Standings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Big Chil in Denver, May 13, 2011.

1. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDITED: Thanks to UPinSLC and Jasonma below. It's better to use PPG.

Observations on the full table standings in Week 9:

We're at the 1/4 way mark of a 32-week, 34-game season.

The L.A. Galaxy have played nearly a third of their games, with 11, while RSL has only played 6 times.

Annoyingly, MLSsoccer.com does not provide full table standings, so here they are, with the MLS table on the left (tie-breaker is goal differential) versus the full table standings using points per game.

Code:
         Team Pts Games           Team     PPG
    1    LAG    17    11        1    RSL    2.5
    2    NYRB    15    8        2    NYRB    2
    3    RSL    15    6        3    PHI    1.75
    4    PHI    14    9        4    POR    1.62
    5    COL    14    9        5    CLB    1.62
    6    FCD    14    8        6    COL    1.55
    7    CLB    13    10        7    FCD    1.55
    8    SEA    13    8        8    LAG    1.54
    9    POR    13    8        9    HOU    1.33
    10    HOU    12    9        10    SEA    1.3
    11    DCU    11    9        11    DCU    1.22
    12    NER    10    9        12    CHV    1.12
    13    TFC    10    10        13    NER    1.11
    14    CHV    9    8        14    TFC    1
    15    VAN    8    10        15    CHI    0.87
    16    CHI    7    8        16    VAN    0.8
    17    SJE    6    8        17    SJE    0.75
    18    SKC    4    6        18    SKC    0.66

See UPinSLC below for playoff standings:

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you cant use points as a table standings right now, it has to be PPG because of the wild variations in the number of games played. just use this to get an idea of what the table would look like, you can easily organize by ppg:
    http://www.settingthetable.info/home/

West:
    1. RSL (highest overall PPG in the league)
    2. Portland
    3. Colorado

East:
    1. NY
    2. Philly
    3. Columbus

Wildcards:
    7. Dallas
    8. LA
    9. Houston
    10. Seattle

im not sure how to decide which wildcards face who. is it FCD vs Seattle and LA vs Houston? if it is actually FCD vs LA for the west wildcard and Houston vs Seattle for the east wildcard. then RSL would play the FCD/LA winner and NY would play the HOU/SEA winner. i think i remember reading that the best overall record in the league will face the winner of the two worst wildcards to make the playoffs.

EDIT: actually here it is:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-reveals-expanded-playoffs-structure-2011

so its FCD/SEA and LA/HOU, then the lowest remaining seed will face the SS winner (RSL right now). if SEA wins than SEA faces RSL, if FCD wins and HOU wins, then HOU plays RSL; if FCD and LA win then LA plays RSL.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2001, when the season ended with an uneven number of games played, the final standings were done by PPG. So "If the playoffs started now" posts should use PPG.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, no, no, no ... it ought to be PPG/payroll.

'Cos it'd be more fun.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Must spread rep to UpinSLC..

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Of course using PPG puts to bed the "NY and LA are the class of the league" talk. While Javi's absence is still a mystery, right now, if you want to rank the league...

1. Salt Lake
    (big giant gap)
    2. New York
    (smaller but still sizable gap)
    3. a bunch of other teams that no one knows how good they really are

7. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    I reckon LA should be on par with NY to say the least. Anything on the contrary would be pure humiliation.

8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, for one, statistics would be be contrary. and you cant argue with statistics.

right now LA is #8 in ppg, #12 in goals scored per game and tied for #6 for goals allowed per game. there is a very strong misconception right now that LA is playing like a top 3 team in the league, a misconception that is brewed by the sheer number of games that LA has played (and thus are bloating LA's raw numbers in comparison to other teams). this misconception is floated even higher by the fact that LA has a bunch of names on their roster, and thus should be one of the best teams in the league no matter what.

9. j ladai

j ladai Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not to be that guy, but as of today Philly has played eight league games.

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and........? philly is one of 7 teams that have played 8 games, including NY who is 1 point up on philly and columbus who is 1 point back of philly. RSL and KC have only played 6 games each (!!!).

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Are you saying that's a good thing or bad thing? We also have played 5 of them at home, which skews the stats in our favor.

13. j ladai

j ladai Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just saying the table in the OP has Philly as having played nine, is all.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The OP also shows each of Sea and Por with 13 points and 8 games but their PPG being vastly different, so something's up with that too (I'm too lazy to go look into it).

Edit: I jsut looked it up at the settingthetable site. Seattle has played 10 games and Portland only 8, so the PPG is accurate.

15. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I find it interesting that, at this point in time, the East's sole "wildcard" team is Houston...and they just switched from the Western Conference this year.

But, it's too early to be reading much into these things. One win or loss by any team other than RSL at this point swings the positions in the PPG table pretty wildly. And I doubt any team has more than 5 common opponents with any other team at this point in the schedule, so it's hard to make a lot of qualitative judgments about anyone near the middle of the pack, nor about a team like KC that has yet to play a home game.

16. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Home / Away and quality of opposition is an important factor.

Those that have played RSL / NY are at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the league.

The only thing that I have learned so far is that RSL and NY have had the 2 best starts to the season. And... Portland has shown good home form.

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas would be the #3 seed in the west, they beat Colorado 3-0 and hold the tiebreaker against Colorado.

18. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So TFC have to jump over NE and DCU + either Houston or Portland for a wildcard spot?

Man, we suck, but we might actually have a chance.

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And no.

For instance, being a Galaxy fan, I can point out that although our PPG is only 8th in the league, that also consists of 7 away games to only 4 home games, and includes games against both the #1 and #2 PPG teams, and 2 games vs. the #3 PPG team. While we've only 1 game (which on the road) against any of the 4 teams at the bottom of the PPG table.

So, while I'd agree that using PPG is more accurate than total points right now, it's still not a valid way to rank the quality of teams, with so few games played yet.

20. FCNYC

FCNYC Member

Jul 30, 2000
    NYC
    Thank you so much, looking at this table is so much better, it feels natural.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting how one weekend can change things. LA and NYRB are now tied for second in PPG behind RSL, who still have a commanding PPG lead despite the tie this weekend.

And I have no doubt all these numbers will change significantly many more times over the season....

23. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    On "if the playoffs started today" conversations:

Until we get to the last few weeks of the season, the order of teams tied on points on my site is done using 1) goal differential, then 2) total goals.

MLS determines it by 1) head-to-head, 2) goal differential, then 3) total goals. I don't think anyone has played an opponent twice yet.

Once we get to the last few weeks I'll be ordering tied teams on points based on H2H so it's in line with MLS.

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    COL and DC are done with their H/A already.

And I think there's another pair out there that is complete for 2011.

edit: Philly and LAG as well.

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Houston will be done with NY after Saturday.