PBP: Week 7- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, May 24, 2013.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She may have been about 10-15 yards behind the play but if you still the picture in the video, it looks like the ref was blocked from the view of the ball hitting the hand by the back of Sinclair and maybe Winters. The alleged handball was waist high, so it's possible how she was running behind the flow of play and Sinclair and Winters may have blocked her view for that fraction of a second and because it was on the far side of the field the AR covering that half didn't get a good view either.

Yes, that play may have been on her conscious and she was looking for an opportunity for make-up call, who knows.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well the positive is maybe Seattle comes together as a team. Sometimes a me against the world attitude ignites a team.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This may explain it all from www.sounderatheart.com:

http://www.sounderatheart.com/seatt...n-recap-late-penalty-the-difference-vs-thorns

Initially I thought she called hand ball because everything happened so fast, but I guess it was a foul.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So the working theory is the ref was praying for Portland to score and take her off the hook. When that didnt happen, she needed to eat the mistake. It was way too late in the contest to gift wrap a potential winning goal for a make-up. Irregardless, if ur gonna give a PK in the last ten minutes, I expect a body on the ground, some torn uniform in the offenders hand or at least some blood on the grass.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

at least it's obvious like the sesselman call in the sbfc game.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I just watched it a couple more times...I dont think its on Morgan because I dont think she is in the box when it occurs. Long flips the ball in then follows it into the box past Morgan. If it was a foul, my guess is Long was the victim. I still prefer hand ball as there was no serious contact at all that I could see.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also, the referee is up field when the call is made. To spot a push or a tug ud think she needed to be behind or on the side of the play.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's what I'm talking about, it's so confusing. First I thought it was a hand ball call, then after reviewing the video maybe a jersey or body hold, now I'm back to hand ball.

One of the weirdest calls I've ever seen in my many years of playing and watching soccer.

9. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    The funny thing is that you were standing right there where the play occurred. You didn't see anything, yet other people say they did. Do the people who claim they saw it have an agenda as Portland or Morgan fans? (not saying all Portland fans are cynical and want to win on bullshit calls, but there are some for every team. Very few people claim to have seen this mystery pk worthy foul). Clearly everyone Portland or Seattle fans says they saw the earlier handball.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The earlier claimed hand ball, my view was blocked at that second by a player so I didn't see the ball actually touch the hand even though it did look like it could have been just be how the hand and body motion took place with the trajectory of the ball, if you know what I mean. This all happened so fast. with several people all in the general area kinda bunched together. But Portland players went nuts when there was no call.

The penalty call, I saw nothing. I thought it was a handball call because I saw no one fall in the box and thought I saw one of the Portland players touch their arm, thinking indicating hand ball.

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

everyone and their kin saw the first handball sinclair was complaining about, but the 84th min handball or foul is no where to be seen, even on video. it's like the ref got a signal from a portland player on something, and made a call to over up the 66th min error. but it was too late in the game unless there was an observe penalty like the one sesselmen committed. that's a 4 pt swing for portland, given the 1st week fckc call was also in the phantom zone.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    how did you guys watch the stars vs flash, and breakers vs spirit games? where is nwsl's youtube video of those games? each week nwsl seems to forget to upload one or two games, and i miss them.

...or is there someplace else i should be looking?

13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :eek:

Wow, did the ref call the penalty on the long-haired blond defender for Seattle? She cleared the ball but he ref was obstructed by a Portland player. Did she think it was a kick, which was a retaliation for the hard tackle on Fishlock a few seconds earlier? That's all I can see it being. If so, that was dumb!

14. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    From what I can tell, five teams - Washington, SBFC, KCFC, Portland, and Seattle - are using the NWSL youtube channel to show their live streams and replays. Some of the early games had technical difficulties so they may not be up, but all the recent ones appear to be.

Boston has a pay per view service for their live games through livestream.com, but they put replays up for free on their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BostonBreakerstv. Some games are broken into halves, some are not, but they're all there.

Chicago's first game is on the NWSL channel, but they now seem to be showing their live streams and replays on their own channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoRedStars/videos.

WNY only shows their live streams through their web site and AFAIK the replays are not online.

15. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the call was on Kaylyn Kyle, which is so unfortunate because she had been having her best game this season and didn't deserve that call.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    thanx guys.

btw. anybody knows why sydney leroux did not play for the breakers this weekend? is she injured?

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely to give her a break. With 22 games condensed into 4 months, plus NT duty for many of the top players, coaches are going to want to keep their players as fresh as possible.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

This.
    And the Breakers know they have enough offensive firepower (without Sydney) to beat the Spirit.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Also, anybody else able to get this to work?

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Kyle went right to the referee so that kinda makes her the guilty party. If its a foul the only thing I can imagine from the referee POV would have been a strong enough push in the back on Morgan that it was noticeable from the front. My theory is still handball. It was an awkward play. Long sort of looped a soft ball that fell amongst Morgan and the two defenders (Meier & Kyle, I think). Kyle then swung her foot and volleyed it back out of the box. My guess is the ball hit Meier's arm either going out or coming in. If it was a foul, then the entire game should have been played at the penalty spot because that sort of pushing goes on all the time in the box.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone know why Melissa Henderson is not getting any playing time for FCKC?

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Romantic affairs with the coach's son.

Seriously, that's what you would see in a men's sport (sleeping with the coach's daughter), but you're probably not going to see any NWSL players sleeping with the coach's son.

Ok, enough of the television drama.
    I still think it's because she lost weight, and it makes her less powerful up top, so now she has to rely on her speed, and she is inferior to Cuellar at that style of attacking game toward goal.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    People have theories but I dont think it is any more complicated than they play a one forward system and Cuellar keeps putting it in the goal.

On a similar topic, Ive read some flak for Vlatko Andonovski recently. People r saying KC doesnt have a good coach. Wow? I think he doing a great job. In the loss to Sky Blue u could here him yelling from the sidelines trying to keep his undermanned side going. And if Barnhart scores that header he's coach of the year.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am really irritated with the outcome of the Seattle/Portland game. I didn't see any penalty. I saw about 4 players fighting for the ball.

Seattle's patched up defense and midfield played beautifully. Morgan and Sinclair were held in check. Solo could have tended goal in a rocking chair. That's no knock against her. Her presence probably gave her defense a lot of confidence. For the game to end with a cheap penalty kick is a travesty.