PBP: Week 6 P/I/P Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, May 13, 2014.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #351 Gilmoy, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    85' 1-4 Boston left corner, cleared. Chicago outlet over stranded Sanderson's head at 35m centerline, hit Bywaters 1-v-1 and already turning past D'Agostino way too high above circle top. Bywaters breaks away up centerline, outpaces D'Agostino and Sanderson, drifts leftward as Naeher steps up to 8m left post. Taps wide, pulls Naeher down, rounds her to 6-top left, gently passes ball between left post and Sanderson/D'Agostino, into back right low.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #352 Gilmoy, May 18, 2014
    89' 1-4 Chicago outlet to Bywaters again, alone just behind midfield left touch (in own half of field = automatically onside). She breaks away again as 3 chase and converge. To 20m mid-left, ignores the square pass between 2 to #4 Mautz running the right post lane. Down to 5m mid-left, rounds Naeher again -- shoots into Naeher's recovery dive, ball bounces over.

90' 1-4 Chicago left corner, cleared. +3'.

FT 1-4. Replays show Naeher coming out on Hoy's goal (right outstep flick perfectly timed), Chalupny's goal (cw turn and left instep just in time), and Bywaters' goal. I guess she had no real choice, as Boston had to push up and got shredded on the run.

3. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    FYP

FCKC needs someone else to take set pieces, Holiday sucks badly.

Gilmoy repped this.
  4. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    FCKC team fitness is terrible, that's why they look so bad at the end of games and give up leads.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And that's it! Chicago ends the week in 2nd place, and Houston picks up its 4th points and 4th and 5th goals!

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Boston is in serious trouble if there was relegation.
    The stream was decent quality.
    Right now, there are only three crummy streams in this league (WNY, Sky Blue, and Chicago).
    Those three teams need to improve their stream quality.

Washington's stream quality has improved since last season.
    Same for Boston (free of cost this year, and it's even a better quality stream too).
    FCKC is at least as good as last year, same for Seattle.
    Portland and Houston are good since they're MLS.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious about the SkyBlue stream? It's much better this year IMO. And while WNY doesn't have the prettiest picture, they have one of the best commentary duos in the league.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Could be a fitness thing, like Namdynamo stated. Could also be poor substitutions. Putting Bogus on for Silva did nothing to help. And Marlborough was pretty much invisible after she was put on.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [KC-HOU]
    78' 2-2 Houston right throw-in at 20m, to 5m mid-right, Phillips heads it out past box top. Masar settles it at 21m mid-right, waist-high roundhouse square flick to box top center. McCarty, coming out of box right-to center, trick-dinks ball with right foot up-and-goalward to only chest-high, back-cuts Sauerbrunn already turning away from ball, as if expecting a hard shot. McCarty stop-and-twists into box, front-cuts Sauerbrunn, left toe-pokes ball past Mathias coming across, sidesteps left to 14m centerline -- and magically wide-open, with Sauerbrunn, Mathias, and Phillips chasing from the right. Already in her wheelhouse, she steps into ball and fires left foot low to right post, Barnhart dives but not enough. Great ball skills, but KC's (patchwork) defense did poorly to lunge around.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #360 WPS_Movement, May 18, 2014
    Breakers need to Rebuild.

By the way, it looks like Boston is the leading candidate to draft Morgan Brian.
    Right now, I think they may end up trading that pick away, which would be smart.
    This team doesn't just need one play-making midfielder. They need assets and plenty of players.
    So trading the #1 overall pick away for multiple assets/picks would be ideal.
    Of course, an expansion team (such as a California franchise) may get the #1 pick instead.

I really think Boston should consider trading O'Reilly and that #1 pick away (in two separate trades).
    Trade down in the draft, get a slew of draft picks, and start from scratch.
    This is how teams like the Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawks have built themselves up recently in the NFL.
    They traded their top picks to get a slew of picks in the 2nd - 7th round of the NFL Draft, over the recent years.

Boston can still get Samantha Mewis later in the first round, by trading down.
    They can also get a good young proven defender in this league for old Heather O'Reilly, such as Kat Williamson.
    I think WNY would do that trade to get O'Reilly to team up with Lloyd and Wambach.

Here's how Boston should build their way up.
    It's time to break em' all down, and build em' back up.

1.) Trade Heather O'Reilly and a 3rd round pick to WNY for Kat Williamson and one of WNY's 1st round picks.
    2.) Use that 1st round pick (from WNY) to get Samantha Mewis
    3.) Trade the #1 overall pick to Washington, for DC's 1st round and 2nd round picks (DC drafts Morgan Brian).
    4.) Boston now has tons of other draft picks to get a slew of players to fill needs, build a future young juggernaut, and they still have young Kat Williamson as a center back to build around on defense, plus the Mew2D2 sisters.
    Besides, Kat Williamson could learn a lot from Cat Whitehill. It would be the perfect tutor for her.

Also, it's time for the Breakers to develop Jazmine Reeves and Nkem Ezurike.
    Lisa De Vanna is not part of the future. Maybe trade her to a playoff contender (such as Chicago) later in the season, for the young Jen Hoy and another draft pick.

Boston could also use a goalkeeper, so one of those many draft picks they could get 6'1" Taylor Burke from Florida.

As for the Spirit....
    "The Spirit fans deserve to have a young dynamic duo like Dunn & Brian to build around".

11. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doubt it is a fitness issue. While Houston indeed got way more involved in the 2nd half FC KC was able to up the tempo late in the game again (after they conceded the equalizer). I agree that Silva looked way more dangerous than Bogus. In the end it was about finishing chances. The Dash were quite efficient while KC could use a clinical striker upfront. Surprisingly I liked A-Rod during the game. She was buzzing around and did connect well with Holiday, Tymrak & Co. Yet they all could use some cleverness and simplicity when it comes to the final third of the pitch.

The tie is not entirely unfair but FC KC should have put the game away and bottled it way before the Dash started to fight back.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yes, Sky Blue's picture is a tad better than last year.
    But they're still a Top 3 worst stream in the league, for quality.

As for WNY, yes their audio commentary is one of the best.
    But their picture quality is one of the worst still, just like last year, and really not any improvement at all.
    Alex Morgan would clearly agree with me on that.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #363 FawcettFan14, May 18, 2014
    I like FCKC and admire the system Andonovski is trying to use, but the Blues are bad at closing out games. It's a carryover problem from last season. They are also quite wasteful in front of goal. Adding Hagen to the attack should help take the pressure off Arod, who's in good form but that miss in the first half was her old finishing rearing its ugly head.

Tymrak now with two GOTY candidates. The one today was better because of the nutmeg and the tough angle. I hope Ellis gives her another chance. She has a skillset like few others (no others?) in the NT pool. But I'm afraid the coaching staff with think they can only take one of Tymrak and Heath, with Heath getting the nod for her experience.

kolabear, Namdynamo and Mosan repped this.
  14. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The key here is where is Wambach going. The reason u see Huster turning is Harris is standing just out of frame on the left. If Wambach was going to pressure the keeper, the short path is to cut in front of Huster. The only reason to go behind Huster is to put the ref in a position where she cant see what Wambach is about to do.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done my fair share of hating on SkyBlue's 2013 stream, because it was awful- Bad camera work, fuzzy picture, and mute-worthy commentary. The 2014 version has improved on all 3 fronts.

Could WNY's picture quality improve? Of course. But I'd take it over some other teams' picture. And has Morgan said one word about the WNY stream this year? No.

I'm done arguing with you about this.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Chicago had scored 3 goals when they arrived in Boston...two games at Harvard later and they have 10.

KC scored so easily on both goals u would have 20 tonight...instead they settle for a draw. McLeod did have a great save on the A-Rod blast.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #369 WPS_Movement, May 18, 2014
    Three teams in this league will clearly make the playoffs.
    Seattle, Portland, and WNY (Aaron Lines is arguably the best coach in this league).
    All three teams have the best blend of "talent & coaching" in this league.

So the 4th spot is up for grabs.
    Yes, I know Chicago is currently 2nd in the table (they've played one more game than Portland though).
    But can they keep it up, that's the question. Chicago has had a relatively easy strength of schedule so far.
    In fact, in their four game unbeaten streak, they have beaten Boston twice, Houston once, and drew Sky Blue.
    Basically, that is what they should have done in that four game stretch (10 points).

I still like the idea of Chicago offering Jen Hoy and a 2nd or 3rd round pick to Boston for Lisa De Vanna.
    This would help Chicago clinch a playoff spot (over FCKC).
    FCKC could falter down the stretch by giving up late game goals, as usual.
    As for Chicago, Press would get a world-class running mate (De Vanna) this year in the playoffs.
    Tancredi would help free up both Press and De Vanna.

The physicality of Tancredi, the speed of De Vanna, and the scoring prowess of Press, would be insane.
    That's a veteran 3-headed monster (trio) in Chicago, to compare against Portland, Seattle, and WNY.
    If the youngsters continue to develop (Johnston, DiBernardo, Bywaters, Quon), and if Wenino continues to impress (consistently), and you add in the defense and size of Erceg, then this Chicago team could actually (dare I say) have a chance to win the championship if they acquire De Vanna. And De Vanna would take pressure off of Christen Press. Same for Lori Chalupny, who now benefits by the additions of Press and De Vanna.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You call it arguing, I call it talking.
    And I agree that Sky Blue has improved (a tad) in those three areas.
    But even with the improvements, they still have a Top 3 worst stream presentation (in terms of video quality).

21. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Wow, that's ugly. What did Abby get for that thuggish move?

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Anyone want to fill me in on what is happening in Boston??

Also, are we gonna start taking bets on how far down the list of tie breakers we will be going through this season. It's gonna be epic.

23. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Averbuch got sent a message by Parsons, and she responded well. By far her best match. Lindsey should be playing more. She was awful last year, but I think playing in the offseason has helped.

Lindsey wasn't awful last year; she had to do too much b/c there was no help, other than Matheson, and no one of quality up front. Her beautiful pass to Taylor against WNY Saturday night was indicative of what you can expect from her when there is an experienced and quality forward to receive them. In other words, she's a forward's best friend.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Also, I we gonna talk about the fact that Masar was benched this game? Was she hurt or was Waldrum sending a message as well?

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Waldrum is just rotating players. He doesnt have a set line-up on the top because they pressure all game and the parts r interchangeable.