PBP: Week 6 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, May 19, 2017.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It's like target practice. I can just see it, Parsons in training, has the subs run around with their arms flapping and tells the starters to aim for the crux of the elbow.

Joking aside, I wish the rules could be amended so a handball in the box is a free kick (just like anywhere else on the field) instead of a penalty. As it stands the punishment seems so disproportional to the crime. It has changed the course of so many games, sort of a "get out of jail free" card instead of the game being decided on its merits.

blissett repped this.
  2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. A pk for the great majority of handballs is much too drastic. A free kick instead.

And a penalty in the box for a foul should only be assessed if the player suffering the foul is heading toward the goal and in a position where she could take a shot. I've seen a couple of PKs called this year where the player fouled is facing away from the goal and in no position to shoot the ball. . .

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, unless defenders start diving to save shots as GKs would do, though.

It's difficult to keep a balance: if a DF would block a shot clearly directed in goal with her arm completely outstretched, wouldn't "just" a free kick be also disproportional, in the other direction? :cautious:

But I agree that some "close" calls shouldn't be judged so harshly.

To be clear, I guess it was difficult not to give a PK for yesterdays' Boston foul. On the other hand, Seattle's Rachel Corsie's one in the match vs Washington last week was quite questionable: it's difficult to think of an arm closer to own's body than she had... :cautious: I guess those kinds of hand-fouls should be condoned.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree: another well-know example of a world-class player who in her youth played much closer to the goal and scored more, but later was moved to central midfield with excellent result is Homare Sawa.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another approach to the PK question would be to shrink the box.

But the problem of what to call was illustrated by yesterday's Portland v Boston game. Horan was taking a shot and it looked like a good curler that might have been a goal inside the far post. Of course, we'll never know. So, Oyster's getting her arm extended and thereby expanding the area she covered could have prevented a goal.

What's surprising to me is that in the three PK calls the Thorns have gotten, the defender's arm was in the wrong place in each one. The calls weren't difficult ones. It seems to me that players with this level of experience would be disciplined about where their arms are, but I guess it's hard even for them to keep their arms in against their bodies.

It also occurs to me that maybe Portland is very good at getting off quick shots in the box, ones that are threading the needle through defenders except that their extended arms are getting in the way. It occurs, too, that that's maybe wishful thinking.:)

blissett repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [SkB-HOU]
    14' 0-0 Sooo .... how's Waldrum doing in the first 15'? ;)

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #57 Cliveworshipper, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    It is a free kick from 12 yards out and "free" of opponent interference.

Make hand balls in the box a free kick and defenders will look like windmills.

blissett repped this.
  8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Ohai vs. Simon is a match(up) made in heaven for Houston.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Holy crap that's a terrible idea. If that was the wording and intent, any player not facing goal would be looking to get scythed down or tackled. Direct/indirect free kicks inside the penalty area have a horrifically bad conversion rate.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [SkB-HOU]
    51' 1-1 Wow, 2H on Lifetime is being streamed for free on the NWSL game page.

11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Might be the worst game I've seen O'Hara play. Nothing has gone right for her today. Maybe that "excused absence" from last week messed up her rhythm.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Which is why I mentioned injuries to key players in my comment above. The same thing happen to the Reign last year. There was Rapinoe who was never really 100%. Then Manon Melis got hurt at some point and was out 4-5 games so was Fishlock. That's not even mentioning the drama surrounding Hope and even when Kop stepped in she got hurt as well. So yeah I think we it comes to injuries both the 2016 Reign and 2017 Portland have that in common.
    Obviously I'm not predicting some massive failure on Portland's part but what I'm saying is that people tend to assume the NWSL season is long and dismiss any observations as "the season is too young".

cpthomas repped this.
  13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Houston needs a better team effort. Ohai and Daly can't carry it by themselves. Besides assisting Andressa's goal, Ohai served up at least 3 other golden opportunities her teammates squandered.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I don't mind people criticizing my post as that is what this place is about (unless the discussion involve STT and holden in which case it gets too long :D). Anyway you are right that mathematically they are about the same age but I guess why I had the impression that Portland was an aging team is because all their key players are old compared to Boston. If I was to name the core of Portland it'll be Heath, Long, Kling, Horan, Henry, Sinclair and Nadim. That group is at the top end of the age bracket compare to the core of Boston (Lavelle, Smith, King, Oyster, etc ).

Seattle also have the same problem in that the core of Barnes, Fishlock, Rapinoe, Kawasumi, Yanez, Utsugi are all older players. Circumstances have forced Harvey to blend in the youth like Kop, Pickett, McNabb, Johnson, etc.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Does the Dash management care enough about this team to fire Waldrum? They are worse then Arsenal/Wenger at this point but without the billions of dollars

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same problem that they've had their entire existence- no one ever makes those runs to follow up on opportunities. Look what happened on Andressinha's goal- she followed up her shot, so when it rebounded off the post, she was right there to score.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Houston ALWAYS looks like they are playing 1 or 2 players short. I'm not sure how Waldrum manage that. Also th 4-3-3 have not worked for 4 years now and he keep playing it. Go figure

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Problem is if u put Ohai in the creator role who do u have to finish?

BlueCrimson repped this.
  19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Is Tony D still looking for a coaching gig?

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Unkel should be refereeing Roller Derby not soccer. This is the second match of hers Ive seen this year where she allowed to game to be decided by a lack of calls. She really needs to be doing something else on Saturdays.

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [WAS-KC]
    54' 0-1 Washington subs in (1 of 3) #11 Mallory Pugh for #2 Arielle Ship. Dang, Ship goes from being a Pac-12 stud to a trivia answer :coffee:

kernel_thai, lil_one and BlueCrimson repped this.
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good info. I think if you look at the last two World Cup champions, you'll see pretty much the same pattern. It allows an interesting debate about what it takes to be at the top, as compared as what it takes to do well from year to year.

blissett repped this.
  23. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Ohai vs. any defender is a match-up made in heaven for the team Kealia is on.
    The girl just blows by people, and makes sh*t happen.

Jill is stupid for not developing her over the past several years, and would rather have called up players like Stephanie McCaffrey.

If you don't recognize the talent of Ohai, then you don't know soccer.
    She gives her team a million variables of things that can "go right" for her beloved team in a match.

24. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #74 WWC_Movement, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Tony D. does great with athletic teams.
    Houston has Prince, Beckie, Daly, Ohai, Poliana, O'Sullivan, and Roccaro.
    Those players can run. But they need more.

If they pick up Tony D, they should trade Lloyd for younger and faster legs at outside back & outside mid.

Trade Lloyd, Cami Levin, and Hagen to Chicago for Arin Gilliland, Sofia Huerta, and Chicago's first round pick.

Hagen is from Wisconsin, so she would be much closer to home. Mexican fans in Texas would love to see Huerta with the Dash.

What Chicago gets: increased attendance at Toyota Park, with Lloyd playing for them.
    What Houston gets: younger and faster.

Tony D. would now have a team he can drive toward winning a title, and players who buy in to him.
    He knows how to coach young women.

2018 Houston Roster:

Attackers: Prince, Beckie, Daly, Ohai, Huerta, Jorian Baucom (Rookie)
    Midfielders: Brian, O'Sullivan, Andressa, Brooks, Heap, Mikaela Harvey (Rookie)
    Defenders: Gilliland, Poliana, Roccaro, Rebecca Quinn (Rookie), Benites, Van Wyk, Privett
    Goalkeepers: Williams, Campbell

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Except when she matches up against Menges, who can beat her to any ball.

FawcettFan14 repped this.