PBP: Week 5 P/I/P Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, May 6, 2014.

1. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    red stars owner in booth? please don't let him in again.

2. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm PE #1?

3. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch the match but Alex Morgan wasn't particularly pleased with the commentary and had to mute it at some point. I guess it wasn't great.

4. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    How did Burger look for Houston? I didn't watch but tried to follow, probably not a particularly good thing for Henninger to be mentioned so much.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, a certain Red Star is. At least to me.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One event does not a career (or person) make.. Otherwise there should be much more hate out there for Wombat for having clearly ended Daniela's days on the pitch. There are many other examples; many players have a particularly bad foul somewhere on their record. Get over it.

7. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhhh.... if we are talking about Tancredi, stomping on someone's head isn't the same as a hard tackle.

And yes, I never forget about what that Canadian did to our girls.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    True, but there are also many instances of clearly studs-up attacks or other heat-of-the-moment violence on the pitch (Zidane's 06 headbutt, anyone?) that don't define players.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sometimes hard tackles are payback tackles. Obviously, it was worst than the head step because one player is still on the pitch collecting black eyes.

[​IMG]

Lloyd isn't exactly a finesse player.

10. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    She might want to listen to Portland's announcer- I me we my. She may as well have suited up. Arnim filled in at the last minute due to the delay.

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said I was rational about my hate. And Abby never went on a talk show and made light about what she did like Tancredi did.

12. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    The Houston Dash are really bad. It was nice let them into league and give them other teams left over players. There defense is always out of position, their midfield is a slow and cannot pass, forwards just stand around up top looking for any kind of service. Which they got tonight with out any. Randy Waldrum has a lot work to do.

13. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    No shit. They got a bunch players that other teams didn't want.

I bet attendance will be awful once they keep losing. That's what happens when all the talent is on four teams. Boston, Houston, Skyblue, Washington, Chicago will all fight between them at the bottom. Good luck.

14. JerseyFootball

Dec 15, 2012
    Kealia Ohai has 1 shot in four games. Ella Masar is their top forward. All she does is foul.

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't they trade Tancredi and move up in the draft for Ohai? I know people will say that 5 for 2 didn't involve Press but we can go along with that. That's some good offense. The Brasilian should be FT soon. They will play a bit better with her. plus the defense is arriving in June.

16. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    What will work out?

Is Whitney Engen going play forward for them? Can Klingenberg be attacking midfielder for them? They have no midfielders that can pass, forwards that look absolutely lost out there.

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    they will be able to bottle neck games like sbfc and grab some low scoring and draw points. it's better than nothing. they gave away their forwards.

18. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waldrum's too proud for that. He's going to have those 3 forwards keep their high line no matter what.

I just don't like that formation. The 433 is such a fragile thing, if the players can't keep their shape the flanks get exposed and the wingers get stranded way out in the middle of no where. At the start of the game I thought Houston was playing in a 4231, then the commentators said a 442 diamond, then I saw a 4321. Nobody seemed to know what the hell they were trying to do, and that included the players.

I know it was raining, but sheesh.

19. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Watching the Chicago game now. Due to comments here, I decided to listen to the commentary just to see err.. hear. I gotta say it was one of the worst ever. The two were constantly talking over each other. Barely any actual play-by-play. I understand it was apparently the owner and not an experienced PBP guy... but still. Talk about the game we're watching, don't spend the majority of time talking about stuff unrelated to the game at hand.

On the other hand, I was pretty happy with the KC PBP guy. He mostly kept to the action and didn't distract from the game. Kinda reminded me of Vin Scully with him being the only one in the booth. It's something I'd actually recommend the rest of the teams adopt...

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was at the game last night and it was a looong night but actually kinda fun. I thought the rEd Stars were by far the better team. I don't know how the feed looked. I'll watch it tonight but when you're sitting field side, it's actually a nice view and the all the field lines don't seem to bother as much.

I talked to Janet Rayfield and Arnim after the game. Like I said, I haven't seen the feed yet, but it seemed to me like Arnim was a quick fill in and they just went in the booth and had some fun. You have to understand folks, it was that kind of night. The fans that stayed were outside or in their cars for several hours. By the time the game started there were few left but those that did had some fun.

I've seen comments here that some of you feel the Red Stars will be fighting Sky Blue and Washington and Boston and the Dash for bottom feeders and when all is and and done that may be the case. But I wouldn't count them out of any play-off contention. They've got some more players coming in along with Press. Tancredi, IMO will be a force, just needs to get in game shape.

We'll see. I think this is a good team.

CoachJon repped this.
  21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And Brazil fans would probably have an irrational hate for Carli Lloyd.

22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It did look like Houston played a 442 diamond in the 1st half and switched to a 433 in the second half.
    The Dash did look pretty bad but I think mostly because some of them played out of positions and some are new. I've seen them look better so it's not time to panic yet.

23. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    This is NOT a criticism but a note of surprise. Ohai was known in the ACC for taking A LOT of shots and her efficiency (as AWK's Henderson would call it) was lower than many but it didn't matter as she was able to get goals from the sheer number of shots. She must not be getting the ball if she is not taking shots, it's just not in her nature.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The UNC system produces a lot of shot but not necessarily good ones. No one there gets a high efficiency rating unless its a really small sample. Ohai also mostly played CF her senior season but she is much better on the outside. That said, Ohai isnt the type of player who just breaks down a defense. She is much better in an organized attack. If all the other forwards..Burger, Masar, Ochs were getting lots of shots on goal it would be different. No one is getting shots and that goes back to the midfield.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The disappointing thing about Houston is they seem to be getting away from their possession game. They would be better off losing with possession style and at least building a system than just trying to bomb the ball down the field.