Week 4 Pre/In/Post (6/5-6)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Jun 4, 2021.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We're almost to the point where the table begins to be meaningful - but until then, let's delight in the (unlikely?) top-of-the-table clash we're getting this week!

6/5
    CHI vs NC, 2pm (P+)
    NJY vs RGN, 7pm (P+)
    POR vs LOU, 10:30pm (Twitch)

6/6
    KC vs HOU, 2pm (P+)
    WAS vs ORL, 2pm (P+)

2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Tough one to pick.
    North Carolina
    Reign
    Portland
    Houston
    Orlando

CoachJon and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Going with my heart: CRS 3, NCC 2
    Going with who knows:
    NJY 1 RGN 1
    POR 1 LOU 1
    KC 1 HOU 1
    WAS 1 ORL 1

CoachJon, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am on the road this weekend, so not seeing any games live. I was 2 for 8 last week, for an overall 2-13 record. So here I go again: Winners- GOT, POR, WAS. Draws- NC/CHI, HOU/KC.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Chicago lead on a corner kick headed in! Murphy got her hands on it, but it slips through slightly and drops to the ground - close enough for Murphy to recover, but she doesn't manage to do so as momentum carries it in.
    =EDIT=
    Looks like Hill actually tapped the ball in once it hit ground, so not directly off the header.

6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I’m shocked Chicago beat NC!!!

7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    How did they do it? What magic is this!?

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NJ/NY up over the Reign thanks to Onumonu in the 13th minute

Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I chose Reign so not good!

10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    NC took only 9 shots in the whole match -- and NC usually takes 20 or more. Chicago kept them from getting close to the goal. Good midfield play.

This Reign/Gotham is a real run and shoot game. Lavelle is maybe the fastest player in the world with the ball at her feet. And Onomonu for Gotham has been great -- and is no slowpoke either. I doubt the players can continue this frenetic pace for another half.

11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If nothing else, old-timers Rapinoe and Lloyd proved they can play a tough 90 minutes. And not-so-old Rose Lavelle did a full 90 also.

I think Gotham was a bit lucky to win -- but that's not taking away the fact that they were good. The Reign seems to me to have an enormous amount of talent -- but can't seem to score. 21 year old Angelina looks like a star in the making. I think next match I'd start Balcer instead of Pruitt, and Angelina instead of Fishlock. Fishlock looks to me like she needs a rest.

West Ender repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Portland beats Louisville 3-0, and while I think the scoreline was mostly deserved, I think the game was a bit closer than the score suggests... Not that Louisville had a ton of chances per se, but the team felt like they were at least "in the game" for most of the time, unlike their NC outing when the wheels came off early and never came back on.

West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please break down Louisville's weaknesses? I've only watched highlights of their matches thus far. Thanks.

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

West Ender repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering how different Racing looked to me between POR and NC, I'm not sure exactly what their defensive weakness is... Just might be a tad slow. I think the biggest weakness, though, is just their (lack of) offense. Between those two games, LOU has totaled 10 shots with only 1 on goal. I think part of this is because LOU seems to be operating with very few actual midfielders to help get the ball forward, and they're just not getting the possession and creativity they need, which also bleeds into their defense being under pressure a lot.

Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Already some fun time in DC-ORL:
    Rodman made a great run down the right and found Hatch in the box, Hatch shoots just inches wide on the ground
    Corniak tried something similar attempting to find Morgan a couple minutes later, though the touch isn't as good and it's cleared easily enough

West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Roddar hits the crossbar! After a great run and dribbling-around-defenders from Sanchez

Yeah this is a fun match X-D

West Ender repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sadly I don't have a double-screen setup at the moment so I can't also watch the Dash play...

20. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Brutally hot conditions for the Was/Orl game. I'm surprised at how fast paced it was -- but a lot of players were suffering in the second half.

Korniek and McClernon on Orlando look like call-ups to the National Team after the Olympics. Sanchez of Washington seems certain to be called up, and Rodman likely.

Kelly O'Hara had a good game -- and that's the first time I've said that in a long, long time.

21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Not only getting the ball forward but they just keep getting bad passes or being intercepted easily by Portland. Fox and McCaskill the only ones trying to get something going. I would take Fox as future USWNT. Shes got pace and good defending which reminds me of Lucy Bronze when she goes on the offensive with the ball.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    has Ebony Salmon played yet for Lousiville? She was arguably the fastest player in the WSL, wonder how her speed is going to hold up in the NWSL....

23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I believe pretty well. She has similar speed to Press.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think she will play in a another week or 2. Against Portland she wasn't in the lineup, so probably just training and settling in.