Week 28 attendance thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lufty, Oct 8, 2003.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the weather happened. it was dreary and crappy all day until about 10-20 minutes before kickoff when the sun finally broke through. unfortunately, the sun went down 20 minutes later.

i love it how it comes as somewhat of a surprise now to be below 10k.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We are also in the middle of the three straight home matches. Being the middle of the three I would expect it to bounce back up next Saturday.

For those on half-season ticket packages this match was not included.

That said the weather was horrible for most of the afternoon. Ironically it was perfect by game time.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is not astounding at all, it just proves that a very small number of soccer fans care more about baseball then soccer

4. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm surprised that the prediction for KC was so high. We didn't have any special promotions (someone mentioned ticket giveaways from AMC theaters, but I never saw any promotion of this, including the weekly FO mailings). I'm also a little surprised it was as sparse as it was. It was a pretty crappy day until about 6pm tho...

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well I was wrong about my numbers.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2003/10/13/martinez_is_hit_with_50000_fine/

You shouldn't be so defensive. It's not about caring more about baseball then soccer. The Boston Red Sox, signifigantly more than any sports team in New England and this city are very much part of our culture. Saturday's game, was very much a seminal cultural event for the city, not juts because there's a 100 years of bitterness and history between these two teams but with the Pedro vs. Clemmens factor. And as you can see from the highlights, or rather lowlights, from the game. Things tend to get pretty intense around here when these two teams meet up.

It's awesome that 30k showed up to Soldier Feild when there was a Cubs game on, but even that's not a fair comparrison to make. This was a home game for the Sox, going against our arch rival, with our fomerly beloved pitcher taking the mound against us, to help determine if the Red Sox will make it to the World Series and end their well known drought.

6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, but why was the Chicago/Columbus match on Friday when the Bears were out of town yesterday?

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another event was previously scheduled and later cancelled.

Something related to flag football, I believe.

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Comedy!

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli