Week 25 Attendance

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FlashMan, Sep 17, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i raised the question at one time why la doesn't announce "actual" sellout crowds, they just say 27,000. i think i found the answer.

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~1644462,00.html

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16,000 in new jersey and 30,000 in KC...estimated #'s heard from telecasts...

3. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    16,507 at Giants Stadium.

4. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    30,000+ in KC. Not as good as they hoped, but a new record for them. Wonder if any newbies will want to come back after that shellacking!

Shows that the numbers can be achieved............even if many of the tickets were free. Hats off to the KC for really improving their attendance this year. Funny how the "Move KC threads" seem to be a thing of the past.

5. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    23,140 in LA
    8,010 in Dallas

Average for week 25:

17,354 (.4 - round down with significant digits)

6. Scribe

Scribe Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 26, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    KC: 30,308
    LA: 23,140
    DA: 8,010

Total for week: 86,772
    Average for week: 17,354

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season Average: 14,808

To reach a 15,000 average attendance for the 2003 regular season, MLS needs to average 15,916 for the 26 remaining games.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that, given the problems in Dallas, a 15,000 "consolidation" year would be alright.

9. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Soldier Field should help a bit to 15000.

10. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14,800 is alright with me. Even considering Dallas's stadium issue, that is still a little bit of a drop from last year, but not a huge drop. Looks like we are holding steady, which is great.

For curiosity's sake:

Chicago has been holding their own in Naperville in terms of not bringing the attendance average down too much despite having such a low capacity for a lot of games. Congrats.

Does anyone have any idea what attendance will be like at Soldier Field for the rest of the season? 15k, 20k, 25k ?

Oops. Don Garber told me not to pay attention to these attendance threads. Sorry, Don!

- Paul

11. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    :confused:

12. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Name dropper!

:)

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire will have two regular season games at sf and we certainly hope to average 25,000 for those two games.

14. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The front running Chicago fans have really been showing up for their league leading Fire (NOT):

2003: 11,601 (Nappyville)
    2002: 12,922 (Nappyville)

2001: 16,388 (Soldier Field)
    2000: 13,387 (Soldier Field)
    1999: 16,016 (Soldier Field)
    1998: 17,887 (Soldier Field)

Nappyville Ave: 12,312
    Soldier Field Ave: 15,904

They are 1,300 below last year's average.

Congradulations Wizards for getting an extra 20K out to watch real football (too bad they lost in front of that huge home crowd).

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU was handing out flyers at the WWC game yesterday offering $22 tickets for $17 for the remainder of the season. Basically, offering the group rate for single ticket purchases.

16. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I was told from a reputable source that 70% of this year's marketing budget is designed for the last two games of the season for the Fire back at Soldier Field. This could explain the drop in numbers for the Fire back at Naperville this year.

17. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000

at least we didn't have 22000 extra people come to watch a horrible game. We only had 8800 to watch a horrible game... 90% were season ticket holders... I would guess 5500 in the seats. The game was exciting as the refs were horrible.. :)

18. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago will be the Stadium opener. it stands to reason they will do the same as New England did when they opened the big razor.
    what was that, 40k first game, and like 20 the next. they they fell of alot.

these numbers are clearly from a memory ravaged by alcohol, but someone has the real numbers

19. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    This is a different situation -- a stadium opener as well as a return from exile. There's a lot more pent-up demand. I'd guess we'd beat those numbers significantly. I don't have any inside info, of course, but I'll be disappointed if we're not closer to 75,000 between the two games.

20. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They broke the Wizards record but they were also shooting for a record of any soccer game in KC, which I think was the 2001 WCQ v. Costa Rica (37,000 or so).

30,000 ain't bad but with all the wild estimates being thrown around, maybe a tad disappointing.

Strike that. Given what Lamar has done this year, a great accomplishment. Hopefully next time they shoot for the overall record, they'll reach it, and win 4-1 instead of lose 4-1!!

21. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have some "real" estimates for the Fires last two home games. In other words how many tickets have been sold for these games to date.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. The Bears have that one covered, a week from tonight.

23. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Were the Revs actually the first team to play in Gillette? When I quoted Voice of Reason, I took 'stadium opener' to mean opener for the soccer team.

I doubt very many non-Revs fans bought tickets to that first game just to scout out the stadium. That seems pretty unlikely. The difference for the Fire between going before or after the Bears is just bragging rights, and won't affect the attendance for either opener.

24. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are there any doubleheaders scheduled with the WWCup ?

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, that's supposedly what happened.

I mean, we're not talking tens and tens of thousands, but still a large contingent of non-soccer fans to check out the new digs.

I could be wrong.