PBP: Week 22 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Sep 30, 2017.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    What a wild conclusion to the season. Each game on Saturday was full of intrigue and dramatic moments. Porous defense all around, but honestly who cares. It's the final week, might as well have some fun.

Clearly Chicago played to lose, as they prefer NC in Cary than the Thorns at Providence Park. I don't care for this tactic, but it's their right to play whatever lineup they want. And I'm glad we don't have repeat matchups in the semifinals. And you get the Morgan returns to PDX storyline.

Kerr deserves her goal record. 17 goals, with no penalties, on a team with a mediocre supporting cast is a great accomplishment. I wonder if she will stick with Sky Blue. She seems happy, but it's a very small market team.

Kudos to Boston and Washington for playing to win, instead of forfeiting for the sake of the #1 presumed Andi Sullivan pick. Even though both ended up losing, obviously it wasn't intentional. Even though Washington finished last, they have a decent core to work around. If Sullivan is as good as projected, if their injured players heal, if they can convince Dunn to return, if they can sign a few high profile names, they will be fine. Boston on the other hand...gosh, I just don't see the vision or ambition to improve. Each year they promise major changes, but they don't happen. And it's a vicious cycle; if a club acquires a reputation for losing, star players aren't incentivized to come there.

blissett repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [KC-HOU] to conclude the 2017 regular season

09' 1-0 B.Taylor taps back to Miramontez just behind midfield wide right, one-touch pass to D.Scott unmarked at circle top right touch. Scott dribbles unchallenged to 32m wide right, lofts a cross over 10m 4-left. RB Falknor (playing way inside on a cross from the other side) misjudges the arc and overruns ball from box top, backpedals and jumps but misses clean. Kelly reads it perfectly, sets up essentially unmarked at 10m 6-left, leans and drives a standing header down across mouth, past Campbell stranded at near post, inswings off one bounce into back right 1/2 high. These early crosses are kind of boom-or-bust -- and when they go boom, we tweetcap them :)

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    53' 1-1 Gibbons dribbles centerward to arc right, square pass intercepted by Beckie at circle tangent front left. She touches forward into circle right, chest-high chip through traffic to Prince at 25m mid-left. Prince pulls Miramontez up to 22m mid-left, tap pass right into K.Mewis's stride through box top 6-left to 16m. Barnhart comes out to 6-top center, K.Mewis square pass right to Daly unmarked at 10m right post, Daly one-touch pass between Averbuch and Barnhart into center back low. Beckie's pinpoint pass launched the counter with KC's backline all scrambled.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Surely Erika Tymrak gets a trade away from FCKC this off-season. She can't even get off the bench anymore. Needs a change of scenery.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NC-HOU: Rachel Daly was the best player for Houston. KC-HOU - early on it looked to me like Daly was going to frustrated enough to pack it in, but she played the game out and was very, very good. Houston needs to get her to stay. In the games I watched Houston play after getting Kristie Mewis, I thought she was playing as well as I can remember. I also hope she finds a spot there on next year's squad and continues to shine.

RE: losing the #1 pick - North Carolina did just fine with the #2 pick this year (Hatch). Ditto, Sky Blue last year (Rodriguez). I dare say, from 2015, Sam Mewis at #4 has done more for WNY/NC than Brian, a national team midfielder like Sullivan is, at #1 did for Houston.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the second half of the Houston/Kansas City game. It was great fun, seeing the two of them go at it, all out. Credit to them!

CoachJon repped this.