PBP: Week 17- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jul 30, 2013.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some really crucial matchups this week, and the possibility of another postseason elimination.

This week's games:

7/31- Washington at Western New York 7:05 PM EST
    7/31- SkyBlue at Portland 10:30 PM EST
    8/3- Western New York at Boston 6 PM EST
    8/3- Seattle at Chicago 7 PM EST
    8/3- Washington at SkyBlue 7 PM EST
    8/4- Kansas City at Portland 8:30 PM EST on Fox Soccer

This week's injury report: http://www.nwslsoccer.com/News/742534.html

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    KC at Portland will be the game of the year.
    Even better than the last time KC played at Portland.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sky Blue situation is getting serious and Washington is running out of players.. At this point I wonder if Krieger plays again this season and she can sit out the silly Mexican friendly as well.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Id love to see Portland get a playoff game just for the atmosphere but regardless of venues I still see it as KC/WNY settling this thing.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Washington already eliminated from the postseason, no way are they going to put Krieger on the field if she's not 100%. I'd be surprised if we saw Gayle play as well. They'll probably take some ugly losses without their starting back four, but better that than risking further injury.

I think KC has to be the luckiest team this season when it comes to injuries. I don't think they've lost any players to injury for more than one game. Other than the Edwards injury, Portland's been somewhat fortunate as well.

6. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Yes we NEED to have Portland either come in first or second. They have to host and get some coverage for the league with the atmosphere of Jeld Wen. If Kansas City gets one of those spots, I really hope they can get a deal done and play their matches at Sporting Park. Grass field, beautiful venue. It would be perfect and I am sure they would draw like 10,000 to a playoff match.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well then, since we NEED Portland to come in 1st or 2nd what we should have done is given Portland the whole USWNT with Sinclair and Leblanc to make sure they get 1st or 2nd. Oh, wait they already tried to do that.

Ridiculous.

I would rather have FCKC and Sky Blue FC 1st or 2nd because they deserve it and to build up their fan bases rather then trying to create a fake image to the rest of the country of how NWSL draws huge crowds.

Hats off to what Portland has done and I've been there several times this season and what an atmosphere, but if they deserve to be 1st or 2nd then they will be there by the results they have achieved not because they HAVE to be there.

Many of you guys are googoo-gaga over Portland. Fine. They deserve it. Heck, I was too. But I'm also pulling for the success of Clubs like Washington Spirit, Chicago Red Stars, Sky Blue FC and so should you.

One successful Club does not a league make.

SiberianThunderT, BlueCrimson and Kir155 repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If the Red Stars get eliminated from the playoffs, I will be rooting for a FCKC vs. Sky Blue FC in the Championship game because they truly have the 2 best teams in the NWSL and we will be given a great soccer match. Not because of "Cult of Personalities" or Supporters Sections.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can see ur point but look at it this way. If Portland makes the playoffs isnt it better for the league if they host a game. Now that's not saying the league needs Portland in the playoffs, but if they r there anyway, it's better to take advantage of it. As playoff games r a week apart I dont see a big travel issue. Visiting teams seem to get as much from playing there as the home team. Im pretty sure ur red Stars have enjoyed their visits. The turf is better to play on than all the non grass fields in the league. And of course, if u get non fans to try out the league for the playoffs, there is no better atmosphere in the league.

Forgedias repped this.
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My best final is still FCKC vs WNY. They seem to be the two most balanced teams in the league. They r two of the best coached teams IMO. Im also intrigued by the WNY attack versus the KC defense.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like WNY v. Portland. Biggest stadiums, pairing with most star power - Abby, Alex, Carli, Tobin, and Sinc. They play in the second last game of the season, so feelings from that game will be fairly fresh. Even though WNY beat Sky Blue 3 times, I do not want WNY to meet them in either the semi or final.

BTW I hope Bryana McCarthy and Amy Barczuk get a lot of time tonight - Lines needs to prepare for the possibility that the iron women defense may lose a player due to injury between now and the playoffs.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams that should be playing in the playoffs are the ones that have the most points by the end of the season. The teams that host should be the highest ranked teams. It's simple.

Kir155 repped this.
  13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see WNY vs. KC when both teams are at full strength. I don't think either team was both times they faced off. The first game, Tymrak was still a bench player, and Lloyd wasn't ready to start. The second game, KC was missing Holiday and WNY didn't have Adriana.

Pitting WNY against SkyBlue would all but guarantee a WNY win, which is great for WNY fans, but not so much for the neutrals.

I've been wanting to see more of McCarthy ever since her appearance in the win over KC, even though she wouldn't have been subbed in had Reynolds not had to come out. This game is a perfect opportunity to give the young players some time. Still on the fence about Barczuk, but I have faith in Lines. The guy's won 3 titles, he's earned it.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Doesn't mean we can't have feelings about it

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U might see more of Barczuk if he ever took the CBs out.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way back during the North Carolina scrimmage (I think), I sat on McCarthy's side close to the action. She was exciting to watch and has a cannon left leg.

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of her appearances have been getting subbed in for Salem, but I'd like to see her on the backline, mostly because I don't like it when Salem is not on the field.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I got my wish to see Barczuk, but I didn't want to see Taylor get injured.

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

anyone with a link for the game?

20. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    there is a link on nwslsoccer.com

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This si looking like CONCACAF which means Washington will somehow win

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These missed chances are killing me.

24. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    CONCACAF stream is better. What do you mean?

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it just means WNY will get the calls in the second half, since Washington is getting them now.