PBP: Week 15- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Of the five games WNY has left, three will be against teams already eliminated. They also have a nice 10 day break to rest, practice and get Adriana back in the fold. Barring something unforeseen (like weddings), they may finish as high as second and get a home game.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ive pretty much moved Boston the 7th place for my mock draft which is actually good for them...if u cant make the playoff at least u can get the best college pick possible.

3. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    The reason why Skyblue did so well with Schmidt in the midfield is because she controls the middle of the pitch and then links up with her forwards. Right now Skyblue has no control and can't link up with the forwards. Its why they have problems scoring and allowing all those goals. You control the middle of the pitch and you kill 2 stones at once. You keep Rampone happy back there by limiting scoring chances and you create more with Schmidt acting as general.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    WNY now has the best overall goal differential in the league.
    Better than Portland, Sky Blue, and FCKC.

And WNY has a goal differential that is currently 29 goals better than Washington, lol.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The player on WNY who deserves a lot of credit is Angela Salem. She is quietly one of the best DMs in the league and her and Zerboni work perfectly together.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yep, Salem and Zerboni have over-achieved together.
    Same for Sahlen, and Reynolds on defense, with Taylor and Johnson.
    WNY has been able to stay injury-free this year on defense, and if that continues, they probably win the championship with their firepower on offense.

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Actually no, I shut the browser window and figured I better not come back until I've watched every thing I wanted to watch today, just in case you guys decided to start giving out spoilers for other sports and/or TV shows that I was planning on watching today.... which meant I didn't get to participate in any NWSL discussion today. But you guys probably didn't miss me anyway. :p

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USWNT followers have been looking for Shannon Boxx's successor at DM; I hope Sermanni gives them both a shot. I think that together they are greater than the sum of the parts.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    s it time to stop messing around and bring franch in as the #3 keeper for the NT? What is gained keeping her on the curve going into the WC when the other 3/4 are aging at the same rate?

There's new blood on the NT but it's like they get a spot if someone is injured, preg, retires or something else of an odd nature. I still don't think I've seen someone flat out beat the old guard for a spot.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see Franch on the NT, and she has done remarkably well for her first year as a pro, but she needs more time to work on the mental side of the game. Hope isn't going to be around forever, so maybe it's time for the NT to start developing a young keeper like Franch. Bringing her into NT camps on a more consistent basis would be a good first step.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    While they have taken advantage of situations to play new players u cant really say they were afraid to make moves. Engen, Press and Krieger r on this team regardless. Mitts retired because she saw the writing on the wall. Winters and Lindsey were not recalled after the first camp. Chances for Dunn and Johnston were a tip of the hat to the U-20 success and Dunn has certainly grabbed the chance by the throat. We'll know more about the resolve to change things when players like LePeilbet and Rodriguez r available for selection again. LePeilbet prolly gets a shot at a back-up role at CB when she is healthy. Rodriguez needs to prove she can score in NWSL. Her numbers r staggering.
    Rodriguez
    Year GP/GS G A
    2012 29/5 9 5 ......... (tied team record with 5 goals against Dominican Republic)
    2011 18/18 4 3
    2010 17/13 7 1
    2009 7/5 0 1
    2008 36/33 6 7
    2007 0/0 0 0
    2006 3/0 0 0
    2005 2/0 0 0
    ------102/73 26 17
    Leroux
    2013 10/5 3 3
    2012 27/0 14 1 ......... (tied team record with 5 goals against Guatemala)
    2011 1/0 0 0
    ----- 38/5 17 4
    Press
    2013 9/4 6 1

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think the GKs r still the old boys club of the WNT. I think the pecking order is controlled by Rogers. I dont think Solo wants an athletic young GK pressing her for her job and I think Rogers gets that. Sermanni on the other hand loves competition within the squad and will eventually want the heir apparent working with Rogers. Expect tweets to follow. :) For me it's simple. Make a choice between Barnhart, Loyden, Harris, Naeher, whoever for number 2 and give the third spot to Franch who despite focus issues has cat like reflexes, a huge leg and athleticism off the charts.