PBP: Week 14- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The recent story on the FCKC website on her indicated Andonovski wanted to slowly work her into the professional level. In terms of his ability to bring the best out of Tymrak and Holiday, he has done wonders.

2. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    omg Chicago tied it and they were down to 10 men because of injury. Even though I am a fan of KC and this really sucks for them, I am pretty impressed with Chicago's heart.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow we are being treated to some fantastic games today. 3-3 in Chicago.

4. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Hopefully the injury to Hemmings isn't too serious.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That was a crazy last 5 minutes plus stoppage - of course, I turned it to the POR-WNY game a while ago. =-P
    Anyway, congrats to CHI for forcing a blown tire! Go Chalupny!!!

thfan repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Yeah it sounds like it was a good game but I just can't watch the CHI or KCFC home feeds because of the lines. Its one thing watching live or on TV but I just can't with the feed. Coincidentally, when the season started, Portland had the best stream but it seems now Seattle has the best with better camera angles, less annoying announcers and BEST of all no useless replays that shows nothing.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say Franch is having a much better game today. Her decision making has been really good so far.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Portland players will dream of Franch tonight

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    These announcers will take every opportunity to mention that Lloyd is away for a wedding

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of unprofessional IMO. Why not just say she had a prior commitment? Mentioning what the reason is once or twice is okay, but to keep bringing it up is a bit much.

11. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no Lloyd is unprofessional for going to a dumb wedding instead of being with her team. Maybe if she was in the game today they could have got the W.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    A lot of NWSL players, family, and friends of players, seem to be getting married a ton lately.
    Maybe NWSL shouldn't have their league during wedding season. :D

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Well that Portland-Western New York match was a exciting game. Tons of quality scoring chances and some crazy good saves by both Karina Leblanc and Adriana Franch. Without those two, this game should of had a a lot more goals. Even though Wambach didn't get a lot of service, when she did, she was very dangerous, and Sam Kerr was pacey and had some good looks for WNY.

Portland I think they have their answer with Tobin Heath. She was that missing ingredient for their midfield. The Portland midfield was much improved with her there and Heath's service to Sinclair and Morgan was exceptional and allowed Sinclair to be at top and Sinclair proved to be what Morgan needed, a holding forward that can allow Morgan to make attacking runs and get service inside the box and Morgan had plenty of good chances if not for Franch. Heath had one stellar chance but Franch parried her shot over the bar. Portland is going to be a lot more dangerous now with Heath in the line up.

The Kansas City-Chicago match.... this is the second time Kansas City blew a 2 goal lead in the least 5 minutes and I really blame Nicole Barnhart. Barnhart cannot just go through the motions and try to make diving saves. The second goal was inside the box so she can be forgiven for that one, but the Chalupny goal was outside the box and the first goal where she was chipped. Those are bad lines she took to defend those shots. Disappointed with her effort. You cannot take anything away from Chicago though, they deserved this draw especially with Taryn Hemmings going down to injury when Tymrak scored the third goal for KC. Everyone thought Chicago was finished, but they fought back and drew back with Kansas. Chicago deserved this draw and fought with a lot of heart. This isn't a team that I saw in the beginning of the season. Good effort on their part.

And time for Erika Tymrak to get some recognition. She needs a call up. She has only played half the season so far and has what 5 goals? She has become a playmaker extraordinaire. Kansas City is blessed to have both Tymrak and Cheney (now Holiday) in their lineup.

14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heath for sure.

PK: Abby was guessing - not dictating - and KK got the save. Kudos to her. What a game for goalies!

I give Franch player of the match. I see Lines flipped sides with Sahlen and Reynolds and had Huffman on the left midfield. So I was on the right track with my suggestions. VP had her best game., especially in the first half. She dropped back and played defense and seemed to be at home in the middle of the field.

One point at a time does not get you a championship though............

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I agree its pretty unprofessional. I just thought it was funny they way they kept on that and you could clearly hear the distaste in their voices. They also had similar conversion about Alex Sahlen being a player, the coach's wife, president of the team and daughter of the owner. That's a lot of influence for one person

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it was unprofessional for Carli to miss this game for a commitment made months ago, just like I didn't think it was for Dougherty to miss the Portland game against SkyBlue to attend her sister's wedding. Players in other sports miss games for personal reasons all the time.

17. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they should get fined JMO. They have no business leaving the team anytime they want. You don't see male Basketball stars leaving their team to go to a Kanye West concert with their model girlfriends do you?

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    lol

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You can also argue that marriage is more temporary these days than it is permanent.
    Might as well attend the wedding, because if you don't, you might get the news a divorce is happening before you even get a chance to visit them one time together at a cookout.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Today's FCKC at Red Stars match:

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sahlen is the fourth best defender on the Flash, but damn, she earned her spot this year. I saw her in 2011 and 2012, and this is the best she has played yet.
    Many in this forum have read the Jeff DiVeronica article about how Alex Sahlen and Aaran Lines relate as coach and player: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20130702/SPORTS05/307020064/1168/RSS?nclick_check=1

Here are some excerpts.
    Even though her husband stays in the same hotel, when the Western New York Flash are on the road, defender Alex Sahlen shares a room with a teammate. When Sahlen heads to practice each morning, she doesn’t make the 25-minute ride with her husband, even though he’s going to the same place.
    “It just doesn’t look right when a player gets out of the car with the coach,” her husband says.
    This is the fifth straight season Lines, 36, has coached Sahlen, 30, with the Flash, who are owned by her father, Joe Sahlen, the CEO of Buffalo-based Sahlen’s Packing Company. A family that wins together, stays together. The Flash won the W-League in 2010, WPS in 2011, the WPSL Elite last year and are a contender again in the first-year National Women’s Soccer League.
    Even though Alex Sahlen saw little playing time on the Flash’s 2011 Women’s Professional Soccer title team, she has started all 12 matches this season for a defense that ranks second in the league. Sahlen has been steady and recently even a spark. She has assists in three of the last four matches. Two were on game-winners. The third was in the 89th minute on June 19 in Chicago, where Brittany Taylor’s late volley off Sahlen’s 30-yard pass pulled out a 2-2 tie.
    “She has done a great job,” Lines says of his wife, “but if there are two below-par games, then somebody else gets a shot at right back. That’s the same as it is with my left midfielder or anyone else.”
    That’s how they make it work. There are no blurred lines.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sooo.....
    I remember WPS used to stream is FSC games. Has anyone found an online link to where SEA-DC might be streaming, or is this FSC deal TV-only?

23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Didn't David Beckham miss a Galaxy match to attend his "friend", William's wedding?

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK recap

Ill let the wife/coach thing slide but I wonder how hard VP Sahlen looked for good right backs when building the team :p

Portland has an offense. This should mark the stretch run interesting. As to Heath, Portland should give her a nice six figure contract with the Timbers naming trees or something.

Im still thinking WNY will have a say in how this ends. Their central defense is wonderful with Salem, Johnson, Taylor and Franch. They were down two big offensive players today and still attacked.

KC-Chi What an ending. A some point KC needs to cover how to end a game with a lead..awful. Masar has been very feisty since they took away her tv show.

Sermanni .. I've got my eye on three or four players from the league... a couple at this game. Only Chalupny really sticks out on Chicago which means two KC players.
    Tymrak ...seems a lock...she prolly showed enough in this game without the rest of the season
    Buczkowski...certainly needs to look a DMs
    Henderson...does a lot of the little things...not sure if she does enough big things
    Jones...ud think if it was Jones she would have started...coaches tell each other everything.