PBP: Week 14 P/I/P Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Jul 9, 2014.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not blaming anyone, man. All I'm pointing out is that some posters here (not you or Cliverworshipper), all they want to do is talk about Portland and Seattle and when they do talk about the Red Stars it's some type of negative thing like they are thugs, and Benedictine sucks. That's pretty much it in their conversation of the Red Stars then they go back to in depth analysis of whatever game Portland or Seattle played, like these two teams are the only ones that exist in the league. Yup, that is my perception, but knock yourselves out folks!

Kolabear even started a separate thread for Portland figuring Portland is "special" and people would want to talk about them more then other teams.

But, it is what it is and I need to take a time out as well.

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i don't see how fckc can win without holiday.

in addition i don't see how fckc can win against the good teams without playing their patented 4-2-3-1. when they play with 2 up front they are likely to leave too much space in the midfield, and put too much pressure on their defense, making it an easier game for the better nwsl opponents.

3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree. People talking about this loss entirely in the context of Lauren Holiday, but I think if Gorry starts in front of our usual back line the score line, and probably even the result, would be entirely different.

KC played much better offensively late in the first half and in the second. The problem is by then, thanks to the changes and collapse in the back, the game was way out of reach.

4. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Here is Vero's stunning performance against FC Kansas City. 2 goals to 2 assists.

mrr5 and kolabear repped this.
  5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #455 luvdagame, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    not sure of this. gorry gave up the ball on her own too many times, and was bundled over like a little person quite a few times as well. the fact that they were playing two up front already made for too much space and extra running around for fckc's midfield (already referenced by vlatko last week), and this was compounded by gorry's inability to hold and orchestrate from the conductor's podium.

i'm not against them playing 2 up front, but then vlatko knows that adjustments have to be made in the midfield and back 4 to cover the extra space he talked about last week even with holiday playing. maybe the adjustment was to do the extra chasing. but the 2 things that made a big difference was gorry instead of holiday, and a front 6 stacked with scoring ability (even tho they might have been struggling a bit) instead of a team that hardly scores.

yes. by late in the first half they were already losing. but their "playing much better offensively" in the second half still was poor and got them zero goals.

further, fckc is one of those teams where the offense is intricately designed as part of the defense, keeping the ball, preventing the back line and gk from having to do as much stressed out and stretched out defending, and forcing the other team to do a lot of chasing. their "playing much better offensively" in the second half still didn't do enough of this, and not only got them nothing, but gave up another bagful.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and 4:05 :p

can't bend them all

kolabear repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the standings in terms of points per game based on games through Sunday, July 13:

Seattle 2.47
    Kansas City 1.83
    Washington 1.53
    Portland 1.47
    Chicago 1.47
    Western NY 1.28
    Houston 1.00
    NJ/NY 0.94
    Boston 0.65

Practically speaking, I'm seeing Seattle as "in" the playoffs and Houston, NJ/NY, and Boston as "out." I'm seeing Kansas City is looking pretty good, but maybe there's now some doubt. Washington, Chicago, and Portland are in more or less of a dead heat, with Western NY a little behind them.

Here are the "maybe" teams' remaining schedules, not in chronological order but in order of where their opponents fit in the above standings (last game of the season highlighted):

Chicago

Seattle @ A
    Kansas City @ H
    Washington @ A
    Portland @ H
    Western NY @ H
    Houston @ H
    Boston @ H

Portland

Seattle @ A
    Seattle @ H
    Washington @ A
    Chicago @ A
    Houston @ H
    Boston @ H
    Boston @ A

Western NY

Kansas City @ H
    Chicago @ A
    Sky Blue @ A
    Sky Blue @ H
    Boston @ H
    Boston @ A

Kansas City

Seattle @ H
    Washington @ A
    Chicago @ A
    Western NY @ A
    Sky Blue @ H
    Boston @ H

Washington

Seattle @ A
    Kansas City @ H
    Portland @ H
    Chicago @ H
    Houston @ A
    Sky Blue @ A
    Sky Blue @ H

I notice a bunch of things, but here are a couple:

Both Kansas City and Western NY play their last games against Chicago.

Although Western NY is a little behind the others, it looks to have an easier remaining schedule than the others.

Portland already is done playing Kansas City and Western NY, but is the only one of the group with two games against Seattle.

Of the teams' remaining games against the bottom three (for practical purposes not playoff contenders), Chicago has 2 (of 7 games), Portland has 3 (of 7), Western NY has 4 (of 6), Kansas City has 2 (of 6), and Washington has 3 (of 7).

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't that the truth! But what an amazing performance by Vero on Sunday. And I'm glad jigsawill shows the clunkers as well as some of the relatively "simple" and mundane plays to put an individual's game in context, especially a playmaker like Vero. To show how she makes the simple plays, the intelligent plays, and doesn't try to force too much, too often.

Really great video recap by @jigsawill and hope a lot of young girls playing youth soccer get to see it, get to see a "wizard" at her work.

jigsawill and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  9. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Wow I didn't even notice that PTFC be KC 7-1..Incredible, and Morgan only scored once..crazy

10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll put this in its proper place in the Week 15 thread when it appears but for now I'll put this heads up on the referee assignments for this week's games (source Professional Referee Organization website):

07/17/2014

Chicago Red Stars vs. Portland Thorns
    Benedictine U. Sports Complex (8:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: JOSH WILKENS
    AR1: Hagan Barnett
    AR2: Jordan A. Pramuk
    4TH: Edgar Osorio

Houston Dash vs. Washington Spirit
    BBVA Compass Stadium (9:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: MICHAEL ZAPATA
    AR1: Mark Boyko
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Suzanne Bilbrey

07/18/2014

Western New York Flash vs. FC Kansas City
    Sahlen’s Stadium (7:30pm ET)
    REFEREE: ELVIS MAHMUTOVIC
    AR1: Amanda Ross
    AR2: Albert Calise
    4TH: Christopher Trottier

07/20/2014

Portland Thorns vs. Boston Breakers
    Providence Park (5:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: MARGARET DOMKA
    AR1: Veronica Perez
    AR2: Marlene Duffy
    4TH: Farhad Dadkho

Sky Blue vs. Washington Spirit
    Yurcak Field (6:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: BERNHARD HOSU
    AR1: TJ Zablocki
    AR2: Kyle Atkins
    4TH: Neil Barbelescu

Seattle Reign vs. Chicago Red Stars
    Moda Pitch Memorial Stadium (7:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: DAVID MON
    AR1: Vicente Cortes
    AR2: Kelsey Harms
    4TH: Timon Berry

07/23/2014

Washington Spirit vs. Portland Thorns
    Maureen Hendricks Field Maryland SoccerPlex (7:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: KATJA KOROLEVA
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Hagan Barnett
    4TH: Danielle Chesky

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, boy. The ref for the Houston-Washington match is the same one who red-carded Angeli.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an odd play but I guess we've seen worse. Angeli did come in late and, according to some, after the whistle and of course by that time it's right in front of the ref. You'd think Huster or the 2nd Washington player would've picked up the foul but I guess you could say Angeli wasn't completely innocent there either. Oh well... I don't remember objecting to that much else in the match.

No surprise to see Margaret Domka as the ref in the TV match, as she's the highest -ranking female referee right now in the US and our FIFA ref. Not saying how good I think she is although I felt Seattle deserved two PKs last week in Chicago.

The interesting assignment to me is David Mon for what could be a heated rematch between Chicago and Seattle, right on the heels of Chicago ending Seattle's undefeated streak. I don't know him at all but that doesn't mean much. I assume he's pretty experienced. But, from the list of assignments (which is not authoritative), he's only been assigned one match this season for the NWSL. However, that doesn't always mean much either. Domka has far fewer assignments than many other refs. In the early part of the season, she wasn't assigned any but she could've been on international duty or any number of things (unavailable due to her day job for instance). However she's picking up assignments now in the latter part of the season.

Still I'm very curious to see how he calls this match. Remember, the last time Chicago was in Seattle, nine yellow cards and two PKs were handed out by Dimitar Chavdarov and Keelin Winters left the game after getting elbowed in the head.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Domka might be getting more matches now to get ready for the U-20 WC next month.

And just for the record, I think Koroleva is the best ref the league has had, even if she does like to give questionable bookings to a certain number 10.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a pretty good opinion of Koroleva. My impression is she's very competent and I thought it was no accident that she was among the referees selected for the first weekend of the season.

However I think I would put her (tentatively) in the "orthodox" school or philosophy of refereeing. So I may have some objections to her refereeing but they are objections that apply to the majority of referees as a whole and not to her individually.

Anyone have any recollections or opinions of David Mon who is scheduled to referee the Seattle/Chicago rematch?

15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a coincidence that of the 3 playoff matches last year, the only one that was fairly reffed was the SkyBlue/WNY match that she did. I had more complaints about DiCicco's biased commentary than about Koroleva's officiating. She did a good job of keeping that match firmly in control, not being afraid to dish out the cards to do so. I could quibble about the yellow on Lloyd, but that's the only thing.

I don't think he's done a match yet this year. He was scheduled to do the SkyBlue/Houston match that got postponed, but that's the only one.

kolabear repped this.