PBP: Week 13- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jul 2, 2013.

1. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Leroux is trying to tell Tom Sermanni something...

Portland Thorns are so gross right now I barely recognized them and thought they were the Washington Spirit at first. Geez what a bad game!

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So the game plan is Boston is vulnerable to the counter attack???

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williamson has been such a revelation this season. I didn't expect much from her after her supposedly terrible game against UP, but she is proving me wrong. She's another one I'd like to see get a NT callup in the near future.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Portland back line has been awful since Edwards got hurt. They really need to find DM pronto.

5. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the replay, very petty! "What a pass by O'Reilly!" We miss her in NJ.

edit: This Sanderson to O'Reilly to Leroux thing really works!

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew the Edwards injury would hurt, but even I didn't think it would be this much of a loss. If they look this bad against Boston, I hate to think how terrible they could look against WNY next Sunday.

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    portland can't play defense. they just need to sit in a 4-4-2 defensive posture and counter with long balls to sinclair and morgan. i have no clue why they dont. no way you beat them in that type of game. you make a turnover, they get going. plus sinclair and morgan get to play catch, pass and shoot with each other at the top of the box.

8. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    What's the "autograph voucher" that was mentioned on the POR-BOS broadcast? In Portland, do fans need to obtain a voucher to gain admittance to the after-game autograph area?

I like Portland's broadcast announcing team, but the control room frequently missed showing live play on the field in favor of showing replays and graphics. But, the broadcast is otherwise professional quality, and their live streaming video is free so I probably shouldn't complain.

I was also impressed with Williamson.

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Portland has been playing like dead skunk lately.
    They need to get out of this funk.
    Only one win this season against Top 5 teams in the standings.
    All the rest of their wins are against Washington, Seattle, and Chicago.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    CP went back to the Carolina 3-4-3 in the 2nd half. At least the started getting shots in the 2nd half.

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

their defense is horrible in the 1st 45 without edwards. they need to pack it in until they get some continuity, which takes at least 1 half sometimes. they have the forwards just to play counter until everyone settles into the game. 4-4-2 and boston wouldn't have got those 2 quick goals, but they'll keep playing it offensively when heath arrives while the defense gets torched in the 1st half of games.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She also subbed in Kerr for Washington and it made a huge difference. Both last week and this, almost every time Washington got the ball the offense came to a standstill. Whatever she does that is good, her speed of play is about the pace of one of our Pacific Northwest banana slugs. Parlow, if she's a decent coach, must be seeing this.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    as was i.

i was also impressed with noguiera in the middle.

she's not there yet, but is she potentially a boxx replacement for the wnt?

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Player of the week: Sydney Leroux or Alyssa Naeher of the Boston Breakers.

15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each player gets the honors for one half of the game.

16. turbinchen69

turbinchen69 Member

Jun 6, 2013
    all over the world
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Naeher is an amazing player and she might lead the Breakers to the playoffs this season. She was amazing during her time in Potsdam and it looks like she continues to impress after joining NWSL.

Portland need to change something in their game, otherwise they might find themselves fighting for a spot in the playoffs until the very last match. Their July schedule is not helping them either.

17. giatano

giatano Member

Aug 26, 2009
    old brown jug tavern newcastle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you all agree that CPC has not handled the adversity created
    by injuries well, though she was suspect from the beginning with
    her player selections. How does the downfall of Portland effect the
    league as a whole? Will they bounce back with the addition of
    Tobin Heath?

18. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I think she shot herself in the foot with a poor draft. Then the decision to waive Avant puzzled me since she actually looked decent and got more playing time than others (O'Neil for example). Of course that looked like an even bigger burn last night with Avant playing pretty well and for the full 90 against the Thorns.

If you look at her post-game comments from the past few games, they all seem to be the same. She acknowledges her teams tendency to give the ball away in the midfield and then doesn't make any changes. Long and Washington have been pretty poor all season. Heath's arrival will help a bit because she will displace one of them, but I don't think it's enough still. I've actually thought Kerr has played well lately and she probably deserves a chance to start, as does Foxhoven. The biggest thing, though, in my mind is that Sinclair has to get out of the midfield. She is being wasted and there was a huge difference last night when she was moved up top. Three straight games being shutout with Morgan and Sinclair is absolutely inexcusable in my opinion. Not to mention being shut out three times at home so far this year.

As for Portland and the league, I don't think it'll have an effect. They are basically guaranteed a playoff spot and once that begins, anything can happen. Seeing how poor the Timbers have been in years prior and how it has had zero effect on their attendance, I'm not too worried about that.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Kerr and Foxhoven both helped. Washington is playing like she's still hurt in which case she shouldnt be playing. The big thing is no DM. Long might be alright when shes paired with another holding mid but she cant do it alone. They need a bona fide ball stopper in the middle. Buehler and Williamson desperately need someone in front of them.

I think Heath helps for no other reason than she wants to have the ball and make a play. I watched the Portland midfield try and avoid be the one stuck with the ball like it was musical chairs. One of the few positives was Weimer who has at least solidified the left side.

My line up for next week
    Morgan - Foxhoven
    ......Sinclair(withdrawn)
    Weimer - Heath
    .....(someone from the stands...or Wetzel)
    Rameriz-Williamson-Buehler-Marshall

How long is Dougherty out for???

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As to Boston... hold on before u order the ticker tape parade. Whle Boston is great on the counter attack and Im prolly the biggest HAO supporter on the board, I lay both those goals at feet of the Portland defense. Did they not get the memo that Boston has three great players on offense? Does Buehler have amnesia? Did the Portland CBs honestly think they could run with HAO and Leroux? I'll give the Portland dee a compliment...it wasnt 4-0 at half time.

As to the much maligned Boston defense, Portland shot themselves in the foot in the first half and drilled Naeher all second half. I will say the more I see of Noguiera the more I like her and the Sanderson/HAO/Leroux combo is sublime. Still, all of Portland's shot either went right at Naeher or were off frame.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's finishing last night was some of the worst I've seen this season. How many of Naeher's 7 saves were anything other than shots right at her?

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Its nice to see a match between two teams who r both playing well

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. I do wish that the Mewis foul had been booked, but that's my only real complaint. Well, that and no Flash goals.

24. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of mascot does FC KC have? It looks like some cat-like creature

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012