PBP: Week 12- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jun 26, 2013.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not obvious.

when i saw the replay it looked like a tough but fair tackle with buehler poking the ball away from jones.

keep believing that.

i said the same thing when pia didn't play all of ryan's regulars at the start of her reign. but it's a fallacy.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe she gets some of the ball after she's tripped Jones. PK and possible DOGSO.

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harris played for Washington the season before she played for WNY Flash. She was very good. That's why WNY Flash was anxious to get her in the first place. She's a very very good GK, maybe not in the best of form right now but it's hard to say with all of Washington's problems.

Solo of course is the #1 and, as you say, may do a better job of directing the back line. But I don't know if Washington's CBs are better than Seattle's. Robin Gayle (who started the year injured, didn't she?) sounds like she's had some bad games and they have to keep improvising line ups in the center there. Also, Seattle, between Fishlock and Winters*, has mids who are better at helping shield their backline than I think Lindsey is capable of, regardless of the other strengths of her game (very good, rather unusual in the league, deep-lying playmaker)

* I know a lot of people (not just newsouth) were critical of Winters and her stint with the national team but she's been very good this season. She and Fishlock have provided a gritty midfield for Seattle that at least kept them competitive until the arrival of Solo and Rapinoe.

CANAmerican repped this.
  4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buehler drives us national team fans crazy but I have to say in league play, you can see she's still one of the better defenders in the league - tough defender, as long as she's not chasing she's very good at snuffing out the 1v1. But among the national team players, she is the one defender who seems most likely to commit the big clumsy red-card worthy foul. Maybe partly because, as a national team player in a league game, she has the reputation that usually lets her get away with it.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    about 2hr:04min:03 sec in the replay.

It's close. You may be right. It may be an outstanding example of a hook tackle where Buehler slides and tries to get her foot in front of the ball. In this case, she definitely doesn't get her foot in front of it but she may just catch it from the side before taking out Jones. What's good about it - and which may get lost in calling it "a tough but fair tackle" - is that Buehler's not tackling directly into the opposing player but throwing her feet out in front of the player. Certainly a very difficult maneuver to try to pull off there and one you expect only from a highly experienced and skilled defender.

6. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    I watched the same sequence at least 10 times during the game and just now, and Buehler clipped Jones in the back of her ankle before gotten to the ball (not clear at all if she even got the ball). A tackle behind that take down the other player's ankle will get you a red card even if you get the ball. She did the same thing to Cuellar a few weeks ago.

Slow and clumsy player, a hack that shouldn't be a starter for the USWNT.

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    sure buehler is a bowling ball of a defeneder. doesn't mean that she has not been effective. (even tho i prefer both engen and sauerbrunn to her). and it doesn't mean that this is an obvious pk.

first, it is not obvious that buehler's tackle is from behind.

second it seems that it's a tough but fair tackle in which she pokes the ball away from jones.

my point is that it's not an obvious pk.

8. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Buehler poke her leg between Jones' legs from behind and took out Jones' ankles. It was not clear at all that she even got the ball. It is not a fair tackle when you go between someone's legs and take out their ankles when trying to get to the ball. That is a very dangerous tackle that FIFA is trying to eliminate from the game for a long time now.

Obvious PK and red card.

Post it in the Referee's forum and the majority will agree with what I said.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. She arrived in Boston on Saturday and did suit up.

Moscato will be available for selection Sunday when the Breakers take on Sky Blue FC at 6:30 p.m. ET at Dilboy Stadium in Somerville.

If you check the Equalizer video, you can see she did dress out.

10. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    What is the financial difference between getting allocated and USSF paying the salary as opposed to the team paying the salaray? Is it that much of a difference for a player?

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    looked at it a few more times and you may be right about buehler going between jones legs. didnt see that before.

so, i see why it could be called a pk.

still, that play, at normal speed, because she seemed to poke the ball away, is in many cases let go by the ref. thats why i've said it's not an obvious pk.

an obvious pk is one thats called 100% of the time.

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i would think they will let the draft occur. then, they will put out the list of allocations. with new teams, current teams will have to leave an allocation or two unprotected. hence, you should be able to draft dunn #1 and just protect her while letting while leaving lindsey unprotected if she is re-allocated. they can't completely dismantle these teams.

boy, if two mls clubs show up, then i have no clue how that works if they are looking for the portland hookup. i'm sure press goes to a mls club if she leaves sweden. i'd think sydney and/or cheney, based o n this season, might be re-allocated, no matter how kansas (unless they fuse with sporting kc) or boston cries. everyone wants prime-time strikers, and mls seems to be at the top of the food chain.

i'm cool with this method. the league needs the stadiums for tv which equals REAL revenues, growth and salaries for players. small market owners have to understand this. like i said, there are enough girls in the usa for anyone to build a good team without great NT allocations. on paper sbfu shouldn't be that good since they are more defensive oriented.

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer your question: We don't know. The details have not been disclosed for the WNT contract or even for NWSL league players.
    I believe that the US allocated players are suppose to be those with WNT contracts. That is where WNT players are making the bulk of their salary, with additional $ for playing in NWSL paid by US Soccer. This year allocation was confusing because of A-Rod being out, Mitts retiring, and players going to Europe.
    Next year's allocation pool will have changes, such as replacement of Mitts.
    If Dunn gets a WNT contract, I think she would be allocated. Newsouth's idea is possible that she could be still college drafted and then become one of that team's allocated players.
    Like I wrote, we just don't know the details.

Plus any changes to the each team's allocation due to changes in players' preferences.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it was the other Canadian, Chapman who was injured.

15. TSawyer

TSawyer Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There is an inverse relationship between the chance that a college draft selection will have an immediate impact and how far she plays up the field. There are, of course, exceptions, but this is the rule.

In terms of the allocation/draft, lets not forget that the WNT is paying for these players and for that they should expect them to have WNT-caliber coaching--particularly when it comes to forwards. Therefore, I will not be surprised if Dunn/Mewis and other young WNT players end up on teams that Sermani judges to be capable of furthering their development, which given the rule above should not give any team too much heartburm. (What they do about Press is another matter...)

In terms of Washington, they obviously needed a quick replacement, but if the new coach, Parsons, is not just an interim coach, they are still naval-gazing and failing to face reality. Same goes for the GM, who they may need to keep on board just to finish the season but undoubtedly had a hand in player selection/recruitment and needs be let go as well. If these two are still on-board next season, I predict continued misery for players and fans alike.

I am also wondering about Spirit finances. I saw a tweet suggesting that they might be tight, which would explain some things, including sending the team on a third world bus to Boston at the beginning of the season.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Bailly said the top NWSL salary was $30 k so u have to assume she was talking about the WNTers share. It was also said back in January that the cap on free agents was $24k. What that means is absolutely nothing since the league seems to change these things whenever they feel like it. Dunn isnt really in a good position financially. As she is in college they dont have to do anything with her this year. Next year when she turns pro they could not allocate her and just pay her at the weekly rate until they r forced to give her a contract. My guess is they do that in an effort not to fill all 24 slots. I also dont see her getting top dollar from a team unless they think she is going over seas.

The more interesting case is for the Euros. Press will likely get allocated wherever she decides to play. Most likely she already is a full contract player. Averbuch prolly has a better shot at a full contract if she plays in NWSL assuming she is out of contract at the end of the year. Engen prolly gets a full contract regardless of where she plays. After that it comes down to fringe players. LePeilbet prolly is left off until she proves she is healthy, saving them a slot. Rodriguez prolly gets the same treatment unless the contract doesnt allow it. Figure Lindsey and Winters dont get allocated. Then there is Mewis who may get a full contract and likely end up in Boston if she does as they have a slot and KC doesnt.

The problem is the way its all tied together with one contract (apparently). The USSF has to offer 20 full contracts but has an option on the last four. If they plan to allocate 24 players to the league then they have a numbers problem. I would think at least Press, Rapinoe and Heath will get get contracts but play in Europe. Possibly add Engen to that list which leaves them 20 player to allocate into the league. Craziness.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    With Dunn it may come down to where u want her to play. If u allocated her u could certainly cherry pick her into a situation where she could play FB. I dont see that happening if the Spirit take her in the draft. Even if they were inclined to play her as left back, she's prolly be to big a factor in their midfield to waste her there. I guess they could move Krieger to midfield (which they should prolly do this season) and play her that way. Sermanni isnt going to undermine a club team's coach. He's made that very clear.

Personally I think they leave all the seniors in the draft and give them full contracts when they have to. They want the draft to make a little bit of a splash and that means name players. It also gives the USSF flexibility with their contracts. At the end of the day young players r still young players no matter how u project them.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wouldnt be surprised to see the USSF try and back off their allocation number...especially if the cap goes up to say $250K. Allocating 20 players is a much more manageable number and they can rationalize it with the clubs being able to spend more to keep players no longer supported by the USSF.

19. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was not intentional, more a matter of getting screwed over by the bus company.

As for finances, the GM has indicated that with the current slate of sponsors and expenses, they just need an average attendance of 3,000 a match, and they've been meeting that with room to spare.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they could actually turn a profit this year? That's good news.

21. TSawyer

TSawyer Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Club:
    --other--

Yes, that is good news, but it does take the pressure off of them to perform. Not sure what bus company they used, but it is not hard to find a good one. Just sayin :)

Nonetheless, I still can't explain losing Wells. They only signed three free agents. Add in Ochs, who might have been holding out/hoping to play elsewhere, and they used at most 96K of the cap (this also begs the question as to why they did not also sign Ochs as a free agent--she obviously had no choice--and then use their first pick for someone else.)

Regardless, the question remains as to how they distributed the remaining cap--playing half a season should not have required more than 12K for Pohlers, and it seems strange that they would be forced to trade Wells for this reason. It is, perhaps, just another example of not being terribly good at the recruitment/signing process.

I really want the Spirit to be successful, which is probably not helped by repeated speculation, suggestions and questions on my part. At least they have made one significant move, and I have said my piece on what else I think they need to do, so I will try to remain more tight-lipped moving forward and start looking towards next season. Perhaps Beau's book will provide answers, although I am not really expecting it to...

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well Washington cant be up against it cap wise because they just acquired Lindsey Taylor from Seattle for a draft pick. Maybe the Wells move was to free up money for future moves.

23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My favorite moment in the KC-Portland game came about minute 35. Morgan and Desiree Scott in a tussle on the left flank near the KC goal. Morgan throws Scott down. Scott gets up and body blocks Morgan and leaves her sprawling and complaining on the ground. No foul called on either.

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a cash issue - it was a roster space issue. To sign Pohlers and keep to the 20-player roster required by the NWSL, they had to cut someone.

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Coachways. They've switched to someone else (not sure whom) for subsequent trips.