PBP: Week 11- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jun 19, 2013.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barker has been in the US since she was a kid, so she is either a citizen or Green Card holder. I do think teams weren't willing to spend a valuable international slot on a new college player, especially since that limits them on their free agents.

Salary cap and international slot decisions are always going to be part of a league like this, especially when every team is going to be bumping up against it and they can't replace injured players easily.

2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is looking nothing like I would expect from the standings. I don't think a rusty Rapinoe makes that much difference.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle needs to quit with the constant backpasses, or WNY is going to make them pay.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen a lot of involvement from her today, which isn't a big surprise. But much like Hope making her first start, Seattle is playing with more confidence with her on the field.

I'd give Seattle a slight edge in the first half. Could have had at least one more if not for AD coming up big time. But they did the same thing against Portland last time out, only for Portland to strike quickly and kill their momentum. They seem unable to put together 90 good minutes of play. This may be the first time they can.

You know it's hot when the Queen of Sleeves is going sleeveless :D. Probably 100 degrees on the pitch.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, goody. Kerr is in :D. Good pace against a not so fresh Seattle backline.

6. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Tough luck for Cordner.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Super impressed with Cordner. She has great pace on the wing.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, that second yellow on Dallstream was so bogus. Seattle once again gets an unlucky break.

9. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Agreed. Tossing in a yellow there with the PK seemed awfully harsh. Didn't look like she deserved it.

10. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Someone tell the Washington defenders that attacking and marking a player ain't forbidden.

11. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have buried that one. Damn.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fishlock with her 4th yellow this season. And she was doing so well with not getting booked.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Seattle finally breaks their losing streak. They did get unlucky with the sendoff, but held their ground well to salvage a point.

14. TSawyer

TSawyer Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Dear Washington,

Please provide some explanation for what you are doing.

Today's starting line-up and substitutions are a complete mystery. Why change the one part (Huster/Roberts/Hodak) that has at least been working pretty well and just needs to overcome the occasional lapse? The rationale for trading Wells for a temporary solution could also use some clarification.

Beyond that, there is the question of forwards. To an outsider, it appears that the only possible striker who hasn't been tried is Ochs--presumably because she also plays well at the left wing (except today when she played right, which let Jones have a field day). If you were willing to move Ochs today and tolerate the result, perhaps it would make sense to try her up top with Pohlers--at least until Miller is healthy. Any thoughts?

In any case, everyone wants to support this team but without some understanding of the underlying logic, it is hard not to wonder about the strategy.

Many thanks,

Loyal Spirit Fans Everywhere

SiberianThunderT and sisterluke repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And she defends on the side line.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If Im Washington I use Williams in Ochs spot, Ochs and Pohlers on top, and let McCarty observe the game from the side lines instead of the pitch. Williams was a quality passer in college and this team cant make that last pass to save their lives. I felt bad for Harris. She was in a shooting gallery today.

Tymrak continues to dazzle. Think what she could accomplish if she had four all world forwards to feed. This was a pointed statement.

17. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    You realize a team is demoralized when your best defender is walking and calmly admiring the view of opposive striker finishing from one yard away (take a look at second goal).
    Can't fully blame Ali Krieger for being resigned though - almost every ball she delivered to this midfield was wasted...

WNY Flash - what a huge step back comparing to the last matches! Can't recognize this team - dominated, inaccurate and exhausted late in the match.
    I mean - young, ambitious Samatha Kerr giving up on chasing potentially dangerous ball with game tied vs 10-man opponent? Stunning.

18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Comments on the games;

KC: I had about decided that Cheney was a 25 year old has-been -- but she's been good the last several months. Desiree Scott, I though, had a domineering game. Tymrak, as usual, good. Sauerbrunn about as smooth and unruffled a player as I've ever seen.

Washington: They got nobody who can find the goal.

Seattle: Deserved to win the game. Rapinoe lousy in the first half, but in the second half, with Seattle a man down, I though she did a marvelous job in keeping WNY on the defensive with her long runs and crosses. The best defense is a good offense. Hope Solo made a lot of mistakes, looked weak on several plays -- but since she only let in one goal, I guess she did well enough. But Franch was better.

WNY: Luckiest team in the league.

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read this thread yet; just got back from the game. Of course I am very disappointed with the result. It was hot out there, and I think the hot fake turf was slippery – quite a few lost footing. I have not heard the attendance – I would like to say 4,000, but I fear it was fewer. Many soccer clubs were in the stands.

Some things that may have not been on the video stream: I have never heard Abby scream like she did today at the rest of the team. I guess I would call it angry encouragement. Also during the water break huddle that happened after Dalstream was sent off during the time a Reign player was down (Fishlock?), Abby ran the huddle – very animated and quite loud, telling people to spread out and how to attack the Reign with a player down. Normally on the Flash one of the assistant coaches speaks in the sideline huddle.

I sense a problem of personalities: Abby is Abby; Lines is the coach, and Zerboni is the captain. There IS a ‘Flash Way,’ which Zerboni and Lines understand – I’m not sure Abby is in tune, yet.

At the beginning of the half, Megan Rapinoe was on my side of the field. She lined up across from Sam Kerr and they exchanged sporting-like greetings. Meanwhile the rest of Megan’s team was huddled at the top of the center circle. BTW – I had no idea Rapinoe was going to play today.

After Dalstream came out, Harvey hugged her for a long time before she even got ot the bench and talked into her ear.

Ingrid Wells was in Flash Uniform. I did not see Heyboer, but that may be poor observation. Adriana was not there.

Things that were probably shown on the video stream: Lloyd could not tackle, receive the ball, or pass today. The refereeing was questionable. Franch saved the Flash –great game. Teams are clearly pushing the ball down Alex Sahlen’s side – I have to believe she is wearing down – maybe McCarthy gets to play on Friday. Brit Taylor belongs on the list of ‘all-star’ defenders in this league.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll be pleased to hear attendance was over 6000. Now whether or not that level can be sustained is a question.

No one did until the lineup was announced. It was a complete surprise that Harvey sprung on WNY, and they may have been caught off-guard.

Adriana's in Spain prepping for the Euros.

Understatement there, but both sides got bad calls. The yellow that got Dallstream sent off was bogus IMO, and Lloyd was very lucky to avoid a second yellow.

Both keepers were phenomenal. It could be argued that Hope saved the Reign on more than one occasion as well.

I'm not surprised. The entire backline has played almost every minute of every game, and at some point, these players are going to need a rest. I'd love to see McCarthy and Barczuk get some time in the next few games.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Hope had a rather good game. Can't really argue against 8 saves made.

22. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I heard 6300 and change. Sunday afternoon matches always seem to draw well, they should schedule more of them.

Couldn't agree more. With a hellacious road trip coming, get them some minutes on the pitch on the 28th and see how they fare.

23. nwufooty

nwufooty Member

May 18, 2004
    Hope was very weak on several crosses. Still working on the return to form. IMO

lukephan repped this.
  24. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    She could have caused a penalty when pushed her own player and Abby, she was very passive in the box too. Looks like she's avoiding tough runs/catches.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im surprised Kerr played...Im surprised Kerr was awake. After 10 days back on Australian time and at least 14 hours on a plane, Kerr arrive In Rochester Friday.