Week 11 Pre/In/Post (7/31-8/1)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, Jul 31, 2021.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go!

SAT 7/31
    ORL @ NC 7:00 ET - P+
    LOU @ RGN 10:00 ET – Tw

SUN 8/1
    KC @ POR 3:00 ET – P+
    WAS @ CHI 6:00 ET – P+
    GOT @ HOU 7:00 ET – P+

I get my TV via Roku, so I toggle my subscriptions on and off to conserve $. The Olympic soccer has been gawdawful early, so I wasn’t tempted to toggle on to watch – I’ve only seen highlights. I’m looking forward to watching the women play this weekend!

West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the only really good Olympics game you missed was the US v Australia.

lil_one and CoachJon repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am LOVING the Kornieck vs. O’Sullivan battle!

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Didn't get to tune in until five or ten minutes into the second half. Just in time to see ORL go ahead - aaaaannnd then NC equalized, because of course they would. X'-D

Still, Leroux is continuing to look dangerous, so I'm hopeful!

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NC is playing better with the ball in the 2nd half than any other time this season.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have not seen the game, it was even worse than you have imagined -- no matter what you have imagined.

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was caught snoring by just looking at some 10 minutes extended highlights! Can't imagine what the whole game would have done to me. :sleep:

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 CoachJon, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    * If I coached forwards or strikers, I would find as much footage possible showing Amy Rodriguez moving without the ball. No one does it better.

* OMG, Sophia Smith fires the quickest shots, either off the dribble or half-volley, that I can remember seeing from any player. I mean she takes the shot before anyone else would be ready to take that shot. She is quick on the trigger, and gets good velocity, too.

cpthomas and Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know exactly how they are doing it, but Chicago is putting a second defender on every WAS player who is dribbling the ball and especially on Rodman when she is on the ball at all.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    …..Marion Crowder sounds just like Lisa Whelchel to me……..shouldn’t be that close; Crowder a Mississippian and Whelchel a Texan.

12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Are they doing 5 defenders or 4?

13. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    I was at the CRS game - CRS did a great job of smothering WAS plus their offense was dangerous - Mautz almost scored at the very end of the game - Rodman is so quick but they mostly contained her (Rodman goal was a bit Sam Kerr-ish - alone with the ball and dodging defenders and GK to score - it was a great sequence for her (although I hated it at the same time since she scored :rolleyes:)

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm ashamed, I have been neglecting my beloved Red Stars during this Olympics. Didn't even go to the game yesterday and I rarely miss games.

Oh well, time to refocus on the NWSL!

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Yeah she took advantage of that defender’s mistake and did it beautifully.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With the Olympic break coming to an end, seems like the three teams that benefited the most are:
    --the Reign, 3 wins in their last 4, unsurprisingly: lots of non-Olympic internationals now getting used to the squad
    --the Red Stars, 4 wins in their last 5, somewhat surprising considering they lost 4 starters to the Olympics
    --the Thorns (ugh), 4 wins and a draw in their last five, opening up a 5pt gap above the table in an otherwise high-parity season (4pts btwn 2nd/8th) - somewhat surprising considering 5 Olympic players, but unsurprising because they have such damn depth.

Gotham are also quietly continuing a good run of form splitting between wins and draws, with only one loss on the season so far, way back in May.

The Pride have really tanked over the past month, though it seems like their away draw to NC seems like a sign of maybe turning things around, and they'll get their Olympic players back soon, which should be a great shot in the arm. NC also having a poor run with no wins in their last four.

Welcome to the official halfway point of the season, y'all! 60 games played, 60 to go.

lil_one, 59Amerinorsk, blissett and 2 others repped this.