PBP: Week 1 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    For Rookie of the Week I nominate Kristen McNabb, a defender for Seattle. I havent been able to access the game so I dont know how well she played -- but she played the full 90 which is remarkable because it was the first match of the season, her first match as a pro, and she was a fourth round draft pick -- 37th to be exact.

Did any other 4th rounders appear in a match?

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Wait, so you are nominating someone for defender of the week who you did not watch play? Strange.

Who were the other rookies that played this weekend?

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head, Lavelle, Purce, Gibbons, Sheridan, and Mills all went 90. I'd say Gibbons played very well, but I'm always impressed with a rookie GK who has to step in, so props to Sheridan, too.

4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am mentioning McNabb because she is a 4th round draft pick who started and played 90 minutes in the first match of the season. That's a hell of a lot more interesting, worthy of comment, and impressive than highly-touted first round draft choices starting the first match of the season. .

Not to mention that McNabb started for Laura Harvey who seems to prefer experience over rookie talent. McNabb must have been pretty impressive in the pre-season. .

Does that explain my mention of McNabb to your satisfaction?

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Oh I know the circumstances surrounding McNabb and as I Seattle fan I was excited that she was signed let alone play more then 10 minutes for Harvey. However for me none of those things are factors into how one would nominate a rookie of the week especially if you haven't seen how she played. I don't think just because she was the 37th overall pick and manage to start for a Harvey team means she should be graded on a lower curve than the other higher picks.

AndyMead and Calci0 repped this.
  6. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Maybe belongs in Spirit thread but I don't post there. Death blow for Spirit?

Edit: doesnt look like anyone created a 2017 thread anyway

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    With my nomination for Rookie of the Week and three dollars you can buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Your opinion has a similar value. .

It doesn't matter what we think about the way McNabb played. What matters is that Harvey was apparently impressed enough to start her. How many 4th round draft choices start and finish their first pro match? Not many. .

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Sampson's decision to omit Daly from the Euro roster is mind boggling. She is a much better player than Duggan, and maybe a few other forwards.

9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #59 FawcettFan14, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    So Lohman was indeed stricken by the dreaded ACL.

Still awaiting word on A-Rod. :unsure:

Those mid-afternoon games in Houston and Orlando (and even DC and NC) are going to be brutal in July and August. I wish the Lifetime slot was Saturday evening instead so they weren't forced to shoehorn these high profile games into oppressive heat conditions, when players won't be at their best. Night games always look the best on TV too.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Sure my opinion is worth the price of a single star bucks. I wasn't claiming otherwise.

What I find strange is your criteria for judging rookie of the week which it seems have absolutely nothing to do with how the person actually plays. It doesn't matter what Harvey or anyone thinks about McNabb. What should matter above all else is her actual play in comparison to other rookies. Comparing players is hard enough without adding in extra subjective factors.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Sad. She always radiates joy to play the game. Sad to see her season cut short like this. This loss will be a big hit for the morale of the Spirit players as Lohman was one of the most positive people out there.

12. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That's the Spirit's 4th player out with an ACL tear.... Yikes!

13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You're taking my comments way too seriously. However, you might listen to Rapinoe's comments of the match on the Reign website and her more-that-routine compliments about McNabb.

Incidentally, I have no axe to grind about McNabb. I never heard of her until the last couple of days -- but I cheerfully admit that I celebrate with when an unsung player stands out.

14. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Again, you make up a bunch of BS to push your agenda. The SS didn't vocalize anything about the kneeling because she didn't kneel....she was in the locker room. Nor did Rapinoe get anymore cheering than normal. Why hasn't she continued to kneel??? Actually, I heard more fans boo her. And her comments afterwards are so off base that she embarrassed herself and Seattle. Say what you want but don't lie to posters just so you feel better. And yes I was at the game sitting 10 feet from the owner. Sitting next to me was a gay couple....invited by the owner to sit in his row. Lastly, I don't have a dog in this fight but I won't let posters make up crap to continue their siege on the Spirit! Seattle has always had a hardon for Washington and they will always try their best to embarrass them. Look at their history! I rest my case!

15. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Jump on the Bandwagon without even watching her play? That's delicious!

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #66 SiberianThunderT, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    The game is archived on YouTube.

Go to 2:44:00. That's the 58th minute when Rapinoe comes on. You can hear the fans cheer (loudest of the night - you can scroll through the rest of the video to compare, even versus the Spirit introductions at 1:20:00 - and it was a cheer, not a boo, no low 'oooo' sounds come through on the recording) and the SS begin the "let her kneel".
    I don't make things up.

And if you think I'm pro-Seattle in any way, you clearly didn't see me in 2014+2015.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  17. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    One unexpected NWSL trend seen this week: the rise of the Dr. Seuss haircut. Sported by the likes of Klingenberg, Harris and Fishlock. :eek:;)

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pebbles haircut needs to die a painful death.

19. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
  20. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was afraid that would be the case. :(

21. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    When she seemingly went down without contact, that's what I was thinking. Really cruddy after all the work she put in to come back.

22. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just sad for everyone. She's a great player to watch. Wishing her the best.

blissett repped this.
  23. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    If you say so it must be true!

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago @ Houston match is now re-watchable on the go90 app, while all the rest can be found on the NWSL website. Something tells me something went wrong with the HOU archive & this is a one game deal.

25. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008