WEEI comment 10/16

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsSoccerFan, Oct 16, 2003.

1. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I know...it's WEEI. Being a Red Sox fan however, I checked in this morning to revel a bit in the Sox big win last night. Since the 2 fools that do the morning show were suspended for recent controversial comments, other people were filling in. Of course, all were discussing the importance and magnitude of Game 7 tonight (for fans and for the Red Sox organization and players). During said discussion, what do I hear but Jon Meterparel saying "Think it will beat the Revolution rating?" Of course, the others laugh. My guess is I missed a comment about the first World Series game on Saturday night 10/18 that would be on at the same time as the Revs.

It irritates me that Meterparel - the one who does radio play-by-play for the Revs - makes comments like this. Not that he is the one responsible for carrying the Revolution torch, but apparently he would rather put down the Revs and fit in with the "cool" kids at the moment. He has stated that his dream is to do play-by-play for the Sox. That's great, but he should realize that experience with play-by-play for the Revs is what would help get him there. Red Sox play-by-play duties don't just get handed to you, you have to earn it.

Ok, enough of that.

2. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read something years ago that Jon Miller, the ESPN and SF Giants announcer did soccer broadcasts early in his career.

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, there is no such thing as bad pub.

4. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    It annoys me when fellow media members ain't got the stones to stand up for soccer. I take a lot of heat for my love of the game, and couldn't care less who knows it.

5. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I heard the same thing, but I don't think it was Meterparel who made that comment.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who/what are the Red Sox?

7. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies to Meterparel if it wasn't him. I thought it was, but I could be wrong.

Either way, it still annoys me that the station that carries the games bashes the Revs so much. You'd think they would be more careful considering they have "Patriots Monday" programming for hours of coverage on the Pats and the Krafts happen to own both teams. I guess they aren't too worried about the other sports station in town.

I had learned to let some of this stuff go and not get so concerned about every comment the Boston media makes that is anti-soccer. I was however sad that the Revs clinching a playoff berth wasn't mentioned on any sportscast I saw last weekend and maybe I've let it carry over. Not to take anything away from the Sox who deserve their attention, but they could have done the usual "..and the Revs beat DC in overtime tonight to clinch a playoff berth" to close the show. They spent a good deal of time covering the baseball game, the fighting between the Sox and Yankees and the "bullpen incident." Wouldn't have killed them to skip showing those clips one more time and just mentioned the Revs win.

8. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer fans are somtimes way way way to sensitive, dont forget they also make fun of the Bruins and the Celtics. Also on Saturday the TV stations didnt mention that the Bruins ties, that BC football won, and many other things in sports. At this time of year with teh Sox in the playoffs everything gets put off, jeez even Sunday night broadcast's didnt cover the PATS too much.

9. Hey Waft Man

Hey Waft Man Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Colchester, CT
    Maybe, rather than dig on the Revs, he was just lamenting the poor ratings without necessarily dissing the team or the sport.

- HWM

10. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I knew I should have been a baseball player. Eat as much as you want. Drink as much. As long as you can run around in a big lop-sided sqaure we'll pay you $5m a year!

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Be careful what you wish for!

Do you really want sponsors or teams with contractual deals meddling in program content?

Unfortunately, the Revs TV ratings are a joke. Until that changes, I think we should grin and bear it.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    you know the game did an 81 share right? 81% of the market...