Wednesday 19 June 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Jun 18, 2019.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #51 falvo, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

Not really what I meant. I'm saying if it weren’t for the Beckham signing, I don't believe the league will have expanded the way they did after his signing in 2007.

I know there was a lot of talk about expanding the league but I believe signing Beckham definitely helped kick start many of the following expansion teams from 2008 onward...

San Jose (2008)
    Seattle (2009)
    Philadelphia (2010)
    Vancouver and Portland (2011)
    Montreal (2012)
    New York City and Orlando (2015)
    Atlanta and Minnesota (2017)
    Los Angeles (2018)
    Cincinnati (2019)

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Miami is denying that Beckham has sold his shares of the team or plans to do so.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Disagree. The new management was interested in early 2006 (if not even earlier), before Beckham, and exercised its option roughly in July 2007, roughly contemporaneously with Beckham's first Galaxy game, a friendly against an EPL team. Beckham cannot take credit for the re-born San Jose Earthquakes, or even a material slice of such credit.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As mentioned, San Jose was on its own trajectory.

It bears mentioning, though, that Toronto was a huge and unexpected success in 2007, commencing before Beckham arrived that summer. I was told by a high ranking Quakes official at the time (yes, in 2007) that Toronto's success caught MLS entirely by surprise. MLS' recognition of urban cores, supporters groups, and hipsters, appears to have originated more with Toronto than with Beckham, and, when the real history is written, that pivot away from soccer moms will probably be given greater credit for MLS' accelerated success than Beckham.

jaykoz3 and Paul Berry repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah the Quakes were in the works but didn’t they exercise their option sooner because of the buzz? I seem to remember Lew Wolff was high about coming into the league right away after Beckham signed. They announced the Quakes return in spring or summer of 2007 I believe. Maybe it had nothing to do with it but it could indirectly have expedited their return. I’m sure that is what happened for the PNW teams....

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've already said that the exercise of the option was contemporaneous with Beckham's arrival, but the two events were unrelated.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah ok. Either way, aside from the Quakes, the main point is his signing helped with expedite other expansion teams.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That can’t be true. Bill Archer already posted his rant about it!

Crooked repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle was announced in 2007 after which I think Vancouver, Portland and Montreal were inevitable.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #60 falvo, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Exactly in 2007. Beckham signed after New Years in 2007. Not so sure how serious they all were about expanding into the league. They had USL teams in place forever and never really made much noise about joining MLS. As I recall, Joey Saputo in Montreal for example was very reluctant about paying the expansion fee.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly was already in the works and high on MLS' expansion wanted list prior to Beckham signing with MLS.

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    LOL. Bryan Ruiz with a diver's dive. Gets a yellow for it.

13. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Yeah but, you have to account for inflation.

Ismitje and NeilB repped this.
  14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saputo was reluctant, but he still wanted in.. Portland was trying to get into MLS before Seattle joined, they just couldn’t work things out before.

Seattle, on the other hand, is all due to Beckham. Joe Roth had attended multiple WC and MLS games, but wanted in on the action after seeing the excitement around the Galaxy due to Beckham’s signing.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #65 falvo, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Especially as a San Jose fan , at the time I never really liked the Beckham signing. To have AEG take away Landon , implode and move our team the way they did, and turn around with the huge contract a year later , in most countries around the world would be considered scandalous at best. Luciano Moggi and the Calciopoli scandal by comparison looks tame.

I also never really cared all that much for him as a player. He was a good player and maybe even an all star to a point but to be considered one of the greatest players in the world in my opinion was at the time exaggerated.

I did watch his games when he went on loan to AC Milan and he held his own. Actually in the few games he played in, he did fairly well. He did have help from Maldini , Pirlo, Gattuso , Inzaghi, Dida, Nesta , Zambrotta and Ronaldinho. I’m not sure how any good player won’t do well playing with players of that caliber.

Still, I learned to appreciate the player he was and looking back, I recognize what he brought to the league. In that respect, I believe his signing was invaluable. The Miami debacle on the other hand is a different story. I’m wondering how things would have been had he instead chosen either Las Vegas , LA2 (if the league would have allowed it) or San Diego? Looking at the emergence of other clubs around the country, I’m thinking by now he would have already had a viable team in place with a championship. I mean no one in 2012 would have believed Atlanta would have been as successful as they have become or that Cincy would even be mentioned.

16. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    On his prime the guy was an absolute blast, his crosses where pinpoint perfect , his free kicks very difficult to stop and a great ball distributor. I remember a Manchester U - Real Madrid game. United were lost and the guy entered in the second half and turned it around by himself. Manchester couldn't qualify but his performance was amazing. I thnk that was the time when Real decided to aquire him.

TOAzer repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #67 falvo, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    I thought Beckham went to Real after Sir Alex threw his shoe at him because he contributed to the 2003 FA Cup loss?

18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Beckham was definitely a world class player in his prime.