Webster: On MLS All-Star Game

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Stupid_American, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

The Eurosnob finally said something nice about American soccer. I'm in abject shock.

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    i'm not sure that's entirely fair to classify Webster as an all out Euro-snob. i didn't really appreciate his last column but i don't throw him into the Euro-snob pile

i did find these comments interesting in his column however.

Chicago Fire star DaMarcus Beasley summed it up nicely for me when he said, "Hopefully this format stays and it's something that I think both MLS and the fans want to see — not something where it's 8-8 at the end of the game."

interesting stuff given some of the comments on and off the record from players before the game. i think that like a lot of us, we were kind of unsure as to how well this would work out and were pleasantly suprised. that's not to say that we wouldn't have had different feelings if the MLS team had lost. but i do think that htis shows it could be a viable format for some time to come.

4. wasdykec

wasdykec Member

May 6, 2002
    Jax, Florida
    i just hope that every year the talent level in MLS grows they try to bring in more talented teams. However, I"m not sure i want euro teams, cause they would take the game to lightly, maybe bring in some better mexican teams, or maybe and MFL all stars v. MLS all stars game or some South American teams. I think this is a great move by MLS.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Well, there are a lot of things that Webster has written that show him to be ignorant of American soccer. There's the column before this one, of course, but I believe he also made very light of the bright sparks that did exist for the US at the Confed Cup (yes, there were a few). I think Webster wrote a few columns for s365 last year before the World Cup, and in those pieces he did not understand, nor did he try to understand why the general American public is so put off by soccer.

As for the ASG format, I say bring on anyone who wants to take MLS on. Even if they don't take it seriously (and I think they will, since the ASG would be held right in the middle of their preseason tuneups), it'll be just another scalp for MLS to take.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Damn I was so disappointed it wasnt THE WEBSTER.