WE7 Strategy

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chachi King, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    What strategy works best for you? or what is the style that you just like to use?

I've screwed around with various formations, but the 4-3-3 with the flat midfield seems to work the best with me. I like to pressure all over the field and force defensive errors, and it works really well against human opponents. On offense the ball just pings around really well too especially in counterattacks. I like to send long balls out of the back when I'm under pressure for quick counters, and this formation really seems to be conducive to that. It works with almost any team - for me at least.

My worst is any type of 4-4-2 or 3-back. I get killed by crosses when I use the 3 man defense, and my pressing-style gets destroyed I use the former. I've tried to ease down on the pressing, until the ball is on my side but it's just something I can't do.

Anyone have anything else that works for them?

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I've only been playing for a few weeks and I am now using a 5-4-1, but I use side midfielders as my outside backs and make them aggressive on runs so it turns into a 3-6-1 when I'm attacking. I changed from a 3-5-2 because I also was killed on crosses with a 3 man back line. I found that adding the two outside backs has increased the pressure on wide attackers and they aren't able to get clear crosses in anymore. I'm pretty hard to score on in this formation, COM teams only get me on corners (usually when I press the triangle instead of the X.....too much NBA Live playing) or with really good passes up the middle that split my central defenders. I'm usually able to make several good runs down the left or right side with my outside backs and then cross it in for a good shot, or make an nice centering pass. Sometimes the COM defenders simply don't step up in time and my backs run right into the box for an easy shot.....that tends to go high and wide, but sometimes I get lucky.

3. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    I use the 4-4-2 diamond midfield... and i edited the positions of the outside mids to be closer to the touchlines... it is easier to get them down into the corners with simple triangle through passes. The only weakness i found with this is you need a good def mid (i got viera from Arsenal)... b/c he essentially has to cover all def responsibilities for the midfield. What i like about it is that my OMF is right behind the fwds... and most of the time i am able to spring him with an "x" pass into the box from my fwd or my wings... My OMF scores most of my goals, as i found it hard to beat the computer markers on the FWDs, but the OMF running through is not handled well at all.

I agree with the 3-5-2... way too many crosses for goals...unless you have 3 tall defenders it is almost impossible to keep the ball out of the net...

4. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    a bit customized 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 most of the time. very occasionally 4-4-2 and 3-6-1. my midfielders score more than forwards. forwards are basically baits

5. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I'm still trying to find my favorite. I use these a lot

-----GK-----
    -CB-CB-CB
    -----DMF-----
    -----CMF-----
    ---OMF-OMF--
    ---CF----CF---

It works ok. I beat England 3 - 0 on 5 star with the U.S. with it, so I used it with my ML team on 5 star. In two games I got big early leads and lost them. That sucked. I just kept going for more goals when I should have just played possession.

I use a 3 - 5 - 2 that looks like this:

-----GK-----
    -CB--CB--CB
    -----DMF----
    --WG-----WG
    -----OMF----
    -----OMF----
    ---CF---CF----

I get my ass kicked a lot.

6. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attack, attack, attack. As in WE6, I find that the CPU can't handle an onslaught of attackers, especially on corners or deep crosses. I play a somewhat unbalanced 3-4-3:

-------GK--------
    ---CB--CB--CB---
    --------DMF------
    -----CMF---------
    ----------CMF----
    -OMF-------------
    -------CF---------
    ---WG------WG---

When playing against most teams, my 3 forwards and 4 mids are on attack bias. The backs and dmid have normal defense, and everybody else plays low defense.

When playing against tougher teams, I take the DMF to neutral for attack. For defense, the two outside center backs play on high defense, and the CMF and OMF on the same side go to normal defense.

My lineup, with a generous boost for US players :)

------------Keller--------------

--Pope-----Samuel------Bermutez

-----------------JOB-----------
    --------Reyna------------------
    --------------------Nedved-----
    -Donovan-----------------------

-------------Lucky--------------
    Beschastnykh-----------McBride-

Subs (I sub liberally, so these guys start often):
    Howard
    Mastroeni
    Deatta ( I think it is originally Dealta in the game)
    Pirlo
    Kilbane
    Fernando Torres
    Kezman

P.S. My apologies if this posts multiple times

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you're trying to hold onto a lead a few men down, try to play with 3 at the back, then put 3 defensive midfielders pretty close to the defenders, you pretty much have 6 men in the center of the box at all times which makes it incredibly hard for the opposition to get any kind of time or space in the box.

8. mjtate

mjtate Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Westerville, OH
    I've been using a 4-3-3 for the past few seasons, with one defensive MF and two attakcing MF players. Like mentioned eariler, the defensive MF has to cover a ton of ground. I have some guy named Cambiasso, who is pretty good. I also play 3-5-2 sometimes, with one defensive MF, one central MF, and one offensive MF (and a right and left winger), but I get better results with the 4-3-3. I mostly use the 3-5-2 when my outside backs are tired.

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    3-4-3 and trying to have my Eusebio become both the scoring and assist ranking number one in all the league/tournaments. i can easily get the scoring part, but assist thing gets difficult.

did anyone realize? I feel like its almost a bug. If you do a long pass from defense when the forwards are just lined up with the defenders, you can get corner kicks like 60% of the time. Just pass the ball where keeper cant reach it and run with your forwards.